Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

In Darkness Bound  by Fiondil

11: Deceptions

Valandur entered his office and closed the door, locking it. Locks were uncommon among the Eldar, save in situations where they were absolutely necessary. Valandur, on the day he was appointed as Ingwë’s chief loremaster, had a lock put on his office door, for he was more than just a loremaster for the High King, he was his spymaster, enjoined to collect information about the well-being of Eldamar as a whole. Ingwë was the High King of not just the Vanyar but of all the Elves of Aman and it was important for him to be privy to information not normally available to just anyone. Some of that information would be sensitive and for the High King’s eyes only, his and Valandur’s.

The ellon stood leaning against the locked door and took a centering breath before voicing a single name. It was barely breathed, no more than a whisper, yet almost at once it was answered as a flowery perfume that always marked the presence of one of the Maiar permeated the room. Valandur recognized the fresh smell of asëa aranion mingled with that of rosemary and smiled as the Maia known as Olórin appeared before him, his expression one of mingled curiosity and amusement.

"You called?" the Maia quipped and Valandur could not help but smile.

"Thank you," he said, as he always did whenever the Maia deigned to appear at his summons. Theirs was a strange relationship, born out of mutual need, for they were both gatherers of information for their respective masters and would occasionally trade intelligences. Yet, they were also friends. The Maia, in fact, greatly respected the ellon’s intelligence and quick mind. His ability to put disparate information together into a coherent whole was nothing short of breathtaking and Olórin enjoyed watching that bright inquisitive mind at work. He had learned much about the Children through his friendship with Ingwë’s chief loremaster and his respect and admiration for them all continued to grow.

"And to what do I owe the pleasure?" Olórin asked politely, nodding at Valandur’s thanks.

"Ingwion and Ingalaurë wish to call a family council, without the knowledge of certain members of the family."

Olórin raised an eyebrow. "By ‘certain members’ you mean Ingoldo," he said and it was not a question.

Valandur nodded. "And Tinwetariel, though we will invite Intarion."

"We?" the Maia enquired, his expression one of amusement more than anything else.

"Findis and I have been invited to the council."

"Ah..." Olórin said, suddenly understanding and approving. "And the purpose of summoning me?"

Here Valandur hesitated, suddenly unsure. The Maia gave him an inviting smile and, taking a deep breath, the loremaster answered. "I had thought we might all meet at Ilmarin next Valanya. The twins going there would not arouse suspicions and since Findis and I accompanied them today...."

"What of Indil, though?" the Maia interrupted. "She rarely goes to Ilmarin."

Valandur nodded. It was true. Even Elindis did not always accompany her husband when he made the weekly pilgrimage to Ilmarin to pay his respects to the Elder King and the other Valar. "She has begun to act as chatelaine in her amillë’s place. She would not easily leave her duties unless specifically asked."

"You wish for Lord Manwë to issue an invitation to Indil in the same vein as the one given to her brothers?"

"Yes, if that is possible."

"And Intarion? Should he be issued a similar invitation?" Olórin enquired, giving the ellon a knowing look.

Valandur shook his head. "Findis said she would see to Intarion, though she won’t say how." He gave Olórin an exasperated look and the Maia laughed. "So will you ask Lord Manwë...."

"I already have," Olórin said with a smug smile. "My Lord Manwë is not entirely sanguine about permitting this council in Ilmarin, for he has been careful not to involve any of us in the internal affairs of you Children. Yet, he is no less concerned about the situation than you, so he will allow it."

"Thank you," Valandur said gratefully.

Olórin nodded graciously and then rewarded the ellon with a sly smile. "Besides, my Lord Manwë is curious to see just how your lovely wife intends to get Intarion to Ilmarin without his parents being any the wiser." He then winked, adding, "As am I."

Valandur laughed. "That makes three of us."

Olórin joined his friend in laughter and there was the echo of Another’s laughter as well, and then the Maia gave Valandur a bow and was gone, leaving the Vanyarin loremaster alone with his own thoughts.

****

Indil stared in dismay at the missive which Eönwë had just handed her, reading the words for the second time. "Why would Lord Manwë wish to see me?" she asked the Maia. "Ingwi and Ingil are the ones in charge."

"My Lord Manwë has his reasons," the Maia said cooly and gave the elleth a brief bow before fading from view, leaving Indil more confused and exasperated than before.

She went in search of her brothers and found them in their atar’s study, preparing themselves for court which would be held soon. She thrust the missive at them, scowling. "Did you know about this?" she demanded.

Ingwion took the missive from her and read it before passing it on to Ingalaurë. He glanced at Indil, standing there looking irate and shook his head. "No," he said truthfully, for Valandur had not told him and Ingalaurë of his arrangements with Olórin, merely saying that Lord Manwë had given them his permission to meet in Ilmarin. In fact, the twins had been wracking their brains trying to come up with a plausible reason for Indil to accompany them. Apparently, the Elder King was one step ahead of them.

Indil sighed, looking defeated. "Why would he want to see me?"

"I’m sure he has his reasons," Ingalaurë said, unconsciously echoing Eönwë, as he handed the missive back to his sister. "Don’t worry, nésa, Lord Manwë doesn’t bite." He gave her a bright smile and was rewarded with a disdainful sniff as Indil stalked out of the room.

The twins shared a smile, then went back to work.

****

Findis refused to tell the twins or Valandur how she had managed to contact Intarion without his parents being any the wiser. "You’ll just have to trust me," she told them and with that they had to be content.

During the week before the next Valanya, life continued much as it had previously, but now the sons of Ingwë felt more confident about themselves, knowing that the Valar themselves were on their side even if they could not interfere directly with what was going on. Thus, when Ingoldo again suggested before the entire Privy Council that they were too inexperienced to act as regents and that they would do well to resign their posts and let those more experienced and wiser than they hold the reins of government until the High King’s return, Ingwion gave him a hard stare.

"The High King," Ingwion said formally, "left my brother and me as regents to his kingdom. If you have a problem with that, Uncle, I suggest you take yourself to Tirion and complain to him directly." He then turned his gaze upon the rest of the Council. "And that goes for any of the rest of you who feel as our uncle does. In the meantime, we will continue as we have."

With that he stood and Ingalaurë followed, leaving most of the members of the Council gaping after them. A few were smiling in approval. Only Ingoldo was fuming and his anger was such that the others quickly excused themselves, leaving him alone.

When Valanya came around again, however, everyone was surprised when Ingwion informed the court that Prince Ingoldo would hold the regency temporarily while he and his brother and sister presented themselves before the Elder King, as was customary for the royal family. "I trust, Uncle," he said quietly to Ingoldo, "that Vanyamar will still be here when we return."

He did not give Ingoldo a chance to reply, leading the way out of the palace and through the north gate to the road to Ilmarin, where they were met by Lord Tamurilon. Indil saw him and smiled, going to him and embracing him.

"I’m glad you could come," she said.

"I would not miss it for all of Arda," Tamurilon replied.

The twins, Valandur and Findis looked on in disbelief. "Ah... Indil, what’s going on?" Ingwion finally asked.

She turned to the others. "I asked Tamurilon to come with us. I was feeling a bit nervous coming before the Elder King and I... well...."

She stuttered to a stop as she saw the looks of dismay on their faces. "Did I do something wrong?" she asked.

Ingwion was furious, but more at himself than at Indil. How could he be so stupid as to forget Tamurilon? He knew how close he and Indil were. Why they were all but betrothed as far as the rest of the family was concerned. It had never occurred to him, to any of them, that Indil would invite her beloved along.

Tamurilon began to guess that more was going on than just the usual audience with the Valar, and started to give his apologies, meaning to bow out of the expedition, as much as he wished to be with Indil, but it was Ingalaurë who stayed him.

"What is your opinion about Lord Lassezel’s suggestion of persuading my brother and me to abdicate the regency?"

There was a startled gasp from everyone and then Tamurilon understood even if it was clear that Indil did not, for her expression was one of great puzzlement at what seemed to be a random question having nothing to do with visiting with the Elder King and his Queen for a few hours.

"I oppose it, as do Lindórië and several others," Tamurilon answered.

Ingalaurë exchanged a look with his brother, Valandur and Findis and then turned back to Tamurilon. "Then if you like, Tam, you are welcome to join us."

Tamurilon nodded. "I would like that, if Indil doesn’t mind."

"No, no. I don’t mind. I’m confused, but I don’t mind."

"All will be explained soon, sister," Ingwion said. "Just trust us a little more."

Indil nodded and they continued on their way. As they approached the Rainbow Bridge, however, they espied Intarion leaning on the stone wall, looking expectant. Before anyone could offer a greeting he straightened, scanning them with a hopeful look.

"Is she here?" he enquired.

Ingwion gave him a strange look. "Who, Intarion? Whom do you seek?"

Intarion’s expression was somewhat confused. "She said she would be here at this time," he said, holding out a piece of parchment.

Findis came to the rescue, for none of the others understood what was happening. Going to Intarion she put an arm around his shoulders. "I am sorry, Intarion, for the ruse, but it was I who sent you that missive."

"You?" Intarion gave her a surprised look. "But... it’s her handwriting, her signature. I would know it anywhere."

"Yes, it is," Findis said gently, "because I asked her to write it."

"But why? Findis, what does all this mean?" Intarion’s confusion was fast evolving into hurt anger. "Why would she toy with me in this fashion?"

"She has not," Findis said firmly. "It was a necessary ruse to get you away from your parents."

"Necessary, perhaps, my dear," Valandur said with a disapproving frown to his wife, "but cruel. Intarion, I apologize on behalf of us all. We are on our way to Ilmarin to hold a family council and we wanted you to be a part of it. We left it to Findis to find a way to get you away without Ingoldo or Tinwetariel being any the wiser. Had I known what she planned, I would have found another way to inform you."

"Then... then she’s not coming?" Intarion could only ask, his anger transmuting again into sorrow.

"No, she’s not," Findis said softly, "but that is not to say you will not see her. I’ve arranged for you to meet with her once we return to Vanyamar. Never fear, Intarion, you will see your beloved Lirulin before the Second Mingling, I promise." She turned to her husband, giving him an arch look. "So you see, I am not as cruel as you would paint me, husband." She returned her attention to Intarion. "Lirulin was reluctant to write the letter until I assured her that I had every intention of making sure the two of you met sometime today."

Ingwion decided to enter the discussion, going to Intarion and putting a hand on his arm. "I regret the deception, Cousin, and if you wish I will have Findis take you to Lirulin now, but we value your opinion and would like to include you in any decisions we make today."

"What decisions?" Intarion asked. "And if this is a family council, why is Tamurilon here?"

"We will explain everything when we get to Ilmarin," Ingwion said, casting a surreptitious look at their escort, who had remained impassive all this time. Intarion, wise in the ways of court life, nodded his understanding.

"Then, if that is the case, I will accompany you, my regents." He gave Ingwion and Ingalaurë a bow, then he turned to Findis, his expression less forgiving. "I pray you speak the truth, Findis. If I learn that you have toyed with mine and Lirulin’s love for one another...."

"I would never do that, Intarion," Findis said quickly. "Come. We must not keep the Valar waiting."

"I thought we were having a family meeting," Intarion said, giving them a confused look.

"And I thought I was being summoned to appear before Lord Manwë," Indil spoke up suddenly, giving her brothers a scowl.

"You are," Ingalaurë replied. "We all are and then we will hold our council."

"Well, we’d best be getting on, then," Indil groused. "As Findis says, we mustn’t keep the Valar waiting."

With that they crossed the bridge and soon they were before the gates of Ilmarin.

****

Note: According to Tolkien, ‘Unclad and unveiled the Valar were perceived by some among the Eldar as lights (of different hues) which their eyes could not tolerate; whereas the Maiar were usually invisible unclad, but their presence was revealed by their fragrance.’ [Tolkien, ‘Words, Phrases, and Passages in Various Tongues in The Lord of the Rings’, Parma Eldalamberon 17:175].





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List