Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

In Darkness Bound  by Fiondil

61: Preparations for Departure

Ingwë did not leave for Vanyamar as soon as he had hoped. Fëanáro called a council meeting and asked Ingwë to attend. "I would like you to be a witness to our decisions," he told the High King when he came to Ingwë’s suite. The new King of the Noldor appeared quite calm and there was no sense of madness to him that Ingwë could detect.

Ingwë gave him a jaundiced look. "You hardly need my approval of your decisions, Fëanáro, since you refused to give me your fealty. I would think the sooner I was gone, the better you’d feel."

Fëanáro had the grace to look abashed but he did not back down. "Nevertheless, since you are here, you might as well sit in and hear what will be decided. I know that not all of the Noldor will follow me so provisions need to be made for their well-being and you will need to deal with whomever I appoint to govern those who remain behind." He gave him a thin, cold smile. "If you are not too disruptive, I might even let you have a voice in the choosing of my regent."

Ingwë raised an eyebrow, not sure if he should be affronted or amused by the absolute arrogance of this child standing before him, treating him as if he were an elfling in need of a bribe to behave. He wanted to smack the smirk off Fëanáro’s face, or at least throttle him, but instead, he simply nodded his head. "Then, I will attend your council, but afterwards, I must return to Vanyamar."

Fëanáro nodded. "I will see that you are given a proper escort, my lord," he said graciously, since it cost him nothing to be gracious now that he had succeeded in getting what he wanted. "I will have a page come to you when the council is ready to meet." He gave the High King a perfunctory bow and departed, leaving Ingwë feeling somewhat bemused.

****

The council was attended by all the princes of the House of Finwë as well as those nobles who had been members of Finwë’s Privy Council. Ingwë decided Ingwion should attend as well, and he gave Fëanáro a look that dared him to protest. Fëanáro merely shrugged and ordered another chair to be brought in. Soon they were all seated with Fëanáro and Nelyafinwë at one end of the council table and Ñolofinwë and Arafinwë at the other end. The nobles were seated on either side. Fëanáro’s other sons and the children of his half-brothers were seated in chairs surrounding the table. Ingwë and Ingwion were seated with them.

"Thank you for coming," Fëanáro said. "We have much to discuss and to plan. As I told the High King earlier, not all of our people will want to leave Tirion and so we need to make provisions for their well-being before we leave."

"I’m surprised you even care," Ñolofinwë said with some sarcasm. "I’m surprised you’re not castigating us who will not follow you for the cowards and puling thralls of the Valar that we are."

Fëanáro’s smile never reached his eyes. "Those who wish to stay are free to do so. I will not deny them their chains."

Murmurs rose among the councillors and Fëanáro raised his hand for silence. "I will accept only those willing to make the journey. It will be hazardous enough without having to deal with reluctant travelers."

"What of the ellith and elflings?" Lord Rialcar asked. "Will you permit them to follow you?"

"Why not?" Artanis demanded before anyone else could speak, glaring at them as she stood. "Are we not Noldor as well? Do we not have the right to seek adventure no less than the ellyn? Where do...."

"Daughter," Arafinwë interrupted, giving her a cold forbidding look, "sit down and do not speak again unless I give thee leave."

Artanis went white with suppressed fury and she looked as if she would argue but Findaráto grabbed her and pulled her down, whispering something in her ear that only she heard. Arafinwë turned to the other councillors. "I apologize for the interruption," he said. "However wrong-headed my daughter might be, she does have a point as does my lord Rialcar. This venture will be fraught with perils unimagined. To allow elflings to accompany you is the height of stupidity, but any elleth who has reached her majority should be as free as any adult ellon to decide for herself, though I would hope that common sense would prevail and they will decide to remain behind." He did not even bother to glance his daughter’s way, though all understood that his last words were directed at her. Artanis sat there, silently glowering.

"That does need consideration, Atar," Nelyafinwë said before Fëanáro could speak. "Will whole families follow us into danger? Will not elflings just slow us down? Perhaps we should allow only adults to accompany us."

"And what if families wish not to be separated from one another?" Lord Martaráto enquired. Ingwë recalled that he had gone to Formenos with Finwë. "What if both parents wish to come? What then?"

"This entire venture is madness from beginning to end and bringing children along just compounds the madness," Ñolofinwë said, glaring at Fëanáro. "Do you seriously think you can defeat a Vala, especially this one, dragging elflings into the fray?"

Fëanáro just shrugged. "There is only one way to find out, isn’t there?" he replied with a nonchalance that chilled many of those there. "At any rate," he said more firmly, "those who wish to go will go whatever I or anyone else say to the contrary. If they want to drag their brats along, that’s their problem. I will make it very clear to everyone that they must provision themselves. The royal treasury will not be opened for them. Much of it will be needed to provide us with adequate weapons anyway and the remainder needs to be given over to those who will remain behind."

"I am happy to see you are thinking of those who will not follow you, brother," Arafinwë said with a slight sneer. "I was sure you would beggar us all to finance your... whim."

Fëanáro rose, pounding the table before him with a fist, glaring down at his half-brothers. "This is not a whim!" he shouted, his eyes blazing. "This is vengeance, pure and simple."

"Vengeance is neither pure nor simple," Ingwë interjected, standing as well. "Do not delude yourselves into thinking that what you plan is a noble cause. There is nothing noble about it. You will go from darkness into greater darkness and I speak not of the lack of the Light which we have enjoyed these many yéni. You imperil more than your physical selves in this venture; you imperil your fëar as well."

"Bah!" Fëanáro exclaimed with a sneer, resuming his seat. "So we should just sit here and wring our hands and bemoan our loss as the Valar are doing."

"They are not wringing their hands as far as I can see," Ingwë said sardonically. "When I departed from them they were looking into ways to restore Light to us... without resorting to the Silmarils." He gave Fëanáro a pointed look as he took his own seat.

An uncomfortable silence hung about them but then Fëanáro shrugged. "It matters not. I will go to Endórë, alone if need be."

"Not alone," Nelyafinwë said softly and his brothers all nodded determinedly.

"Then it only remains to decide who will govern the city in your absence, my king," Lord Martaráto said.

"I am assuming that will be me," Ñolofinwë said with a wry smile. "Or do you intend to give the regency over to someone other than a member of the House of Finwë?"

"No," Fëanáro said somewhat languidly, as if he was not much interested in the discussion any more. "We have no intention of doing anything of the sort. You ruled well and wisely in Our absence and We are grateful for your careful stewardship."

Even from where he was sitting, Ingwë could see Ñolofinwë clutching his hands at his side, willing himself not to react to his half-brother’s condescending manner.

"No," Fëanáro continued. "The regency will go to you... or Arafinwë if you decide to join us." He quirked an eyebrow in enquiry but Ñolofinwë just shook his head. "Very well then, that’s settled," he said more briskly. "All that really remains is assigning various tasks to see that everyone is adequately armed and provisioned."

"How soon do you intend to leave?" Ingwë asked.

"It will take us some time to produce the necessary weapons," Lord Martaráto answered for Fëanáro. "Also, we will have to levy the granaries and the farms to provide us with enough provender to see us on our way. I imagine we will have to hunt and hunting weapons will need to be crafted as well."

"There is a great deal of organization that needs to be addressed," Nelyafinwë added. "I have been thinking it would be wise to assign people to specific lords who will be responsible for them. This will make it easier to keep order among the populace."

Fëanáro nodded. "That makes sense. I will inform the people who the leaders will be and they will have to declare themselves for one or the other and follow his banner. Naturally, I and my sons will make eight. We will have to see about others. Twelve lords would be an appropriate number and each lord can assign as many captains as he needs to make the numbers more manageable." He paused to gauge the reactions of the others to his suggestion but none raised any objections. "As to when do we leave," he continued, pursing his lips and furrowing his brow in concentration, "the sooner the better. I chafe at sitting here while Moringotto escapes us, and... I would not let our people’s ardor cool overmuch lest we lose the greater part of our force."

Ingwion leaned over to whisper in his atar’s ear. "Let us hope most of them have a change of heart, else I fear Tirion will empty out and we are left with nothing but a city of ghosts."

Ingwë nodded but did not comment. He was sure that Fëanáro would not allow the Noldor to rethink their plans. He was certain that the new Noldóran and his sons would continue to urge them on. He resisted a sigh, wishing he were back in Vanyamar and away from all this madness.

****

As soon as the council meeting was over, Ingwë steered Ingwion away and headed for their apartments. "We need to talk," he told his son quietly, and Ingwion did not protest, though he had hoped to speak further with his younger cousins. When they entered Ingwë’s sitting room both ellyn stopped in surprise. Indis stood there smiling at them.

"You will be leaving now," she said without preamble and Ingwë nodded.

"As soon as we’ve made our farewells," he answered. "Are you here to see us off?"

Indis shook her head. "No. I’m here to tell you that I will be leaving with you."

Ingwë raised an eyebrow. "So soon? I thought you were not planning on leaving for a while yet."

"As did I," Indis said, her lovely features marred with a frown, "but the situation has changed and I find I do not wish to remain any longer than I have to in this place. It is no longer my home. I’ve made provisions for my household, at least those who will remain here; the rest will accompany me." She paused and gave them a wry smile. "And I understand Amarië is most reluctant to return to Vanyamar with you. She may be more amenable to the idea if I ask her to join my household as a lady-in-waiting, for most of mine are Noldorin and I will lose most of my entourage when I leave here."

Ingwë nodded. "That sounds like a wonderful idea, nésanya. You are, of course, most welcome to join us, or at least me." He turned to Ingwion. "There is something I need you to do, yonya."

"What is it, Atto?"

Ingwë glanced at Indis for a second before answering. "I need you to go to Alqualondë and tell Olwë what has happened."

Ingwion gave his atar a shocked look. "Alqualondë? But... I’m sure messengers have already been sent to...."

"I already enquired," Ingwë said. "None have been sent and I doubt if any message will be sent, certainly not by Fëanáro."

"Arafinwë, or, more likely, Eärwen will do so eventually," Indis interjected.

"Eventually," Ingwë repeated.

"Ah...." Indis said, nodding in understanding.

"Will you go?" Ingwë asked his son.

"Of course, Atto," Ingwion replied, still looking a bit troubled. "I just don’t understand why me and not a regular courier?"

"You are haryon to the Vanyaran, Ingwi," Indis answered for her brother, "as well as to the Ingaran. You have a certain status that no courier commands."

"When do you want me to leave, then?"

"Soon," Ingwë answered. "After I am gone. Wait a week before leaving. However, it would be best if Fëanáro is not aware that you go to Alqualondë."

"What reason should I give for not accompanying you back to Vanyamar?"

"We will say that you wish to visit with your cousins a little longer," Ingwë supplied, "and I do not doubt that is the truth." Ingwion nodded. "Good then," the High King continued. "You know the hidden path that leads to the park beyond the eastern wall."

It was not a question but Ingwion nodded anyway.

"You will use that to leave the city unnoticed," Ingwë told him.

"Unnoticed, perhaps," Ingwion retorted, "but I will surely be missed after a time."

"I realize that, but you won’t be returning to Tirion anyway," Ingwë said. "As soon as you’ve given Olwë my message, return directly to Vanyamar. You can easily avoid Tirion by wending your way northwest around the city until you reach the road leading to Valmar. There is a lane that connects the various estates of the nobility that lie outside the city."

"Yes, I remember that," Ingwion said with a nod. "Yet, I don’t think I can do this alone. I’ll need help to leave the city and I’m thinking that it might be best if I return to Tirion as well and leave for Vanyamar in a more public manner."

"You will be gone for some time though," Indis pointed out. "How will you explain your disappearance and reappearance?"

Ingwion furrowed his brow in thought for a moment or two. "If I can recruit Findaráto, perhaps we can leave together, openly."

"What do you have in mind?" Ingwë asked.

"The royal preserve," Ingwion said in answer. "If Findaráto and I decide to go hunting... alone...."

"No one will question your absence," Ingwë supplied, nodding. "Still, it will be a lonely time for your cousin, haunting the woods while you are in Alqualondë."

"Is there any reason why he cannot accompany me?" Ingwion asked.

"No, there’s no reason," Ingwë replied slowly. "And given these times, it might be best if you do not travel alone. Very well. I have no objections, yonya, to you asking Findaráto for help. He is very discreet."

"Then I will seek him out and we will plan our route." Ingwion said, then gave his atar a slightly puzzled look. "So, just what message am I to give Olwë?"

Ingwë gave Indis another sideways glance and she smiled. "I need to find Amarië and tell her the good news of her promotion."

Ingwë snorted in amusement as his sister gave them a proper curtsey and left. Ingwion grinned. When they were alone, Ingwë gestured for Ingwion to take a seat. "Here is what I want you to tell Olwë...."

****

Findaráto stared at Ingwion in disbelief. "You want me to accompany you to Alqualondë? On a secret mission for the High King?"

"It’s not a secret mission," Ingwion retorted in exasperation, throwing up his hands. "It’s... it’s...."

"Go on," Findaráto said with a mischievous glint in his eyes. "It’s a what?"

"All right," Ingwion huffed. "It’s a secret mission. Happy now?"

Findaráto laughed. "Always. And yes, I would be honored to help you. How soon do we leave?"

Ingwion gave a sigh of relief and grinned back at the younger ellon. "As to that...."

****

Amarië gave the Noldotári a curtsey as she entered Indis’ suite. "You sent for me, my lady?" she enquired.

Indis gestured for the elleth to sit and Amarië gathered her skirts and sat in a chair opposite the queen. Indis took a moment to examine the young elleth. Amarië’s posture was stiff and proper, her expression not quite as impassive as she probably thought it was, for there was a crease between her brows that indicated confusion. She smiled at the elleth.

"I will be returning to Vanyamar with my brother," she said softly. "I find I no longer wish to live here in Tirion."

Amarië nodded dutifully but said nothing, wondering why she’d been summoned before the queen. She was not happy at the thought of leaving Tirion just now and even less happy at the thought that the wedding would not go forward. She wondered how her ammë would react to that bit of news. She was hoping to convince the High King to let her stay here. She thought that if she could remain in Tirion she might be able to convince Findaráto that they should marry regardless of what was happening. It would be a sign for them all, she was sure, that in spite of everything, life did still go on and a wedding would be an affirmation of life over death.

"Yes," Indis said after a brief pause. "As it is, I will be disbanding most of my household, for many are Noldorin and they have no wish to leave their city. Therefore, I was wondering if you would like to become one of my ladies-in-waiting."

"Me?" Amarië exclaimed in surprise. She had not been expecting that.

Indis nodded. "You are betrothed to my grandson, after all."

Now Amarië frowned. "Betrothed," she said with a grimace, her tone bitter. "That may change."

"What do you mean?"

Amarië gave a half shrug. "He has already canceled the wedding."

"Postponed it, not canceled," Indis retorted mildly.

"It will come to the same thing as far as Ammë is concerned," Amarië replied.

"Ah...." Indis nodded in understanding, quite familiar with Lady Amáriel. "Well, my dear, you know you cannot stay here. It wouldn’t be proper. I think you should return to Vanyamar with me. Let things cool down here and we will see how my grandson feels about the wedding then. He loves you, you know that. I do not think he will be willing to forego the wedding completely. Everything is so confused now. Best to wait until the dust settles, don’t you think?" She gave her a sympathetic smile, placing a hand on her arm and squeezing it.

Amarië nodded reluctantly. "I suppose you are right, my lady," she replied in a defeated voice.

"I am always right, child," Indis said with a silvery laugh. "It’s one of my better faults, as Ingwë is fond of saying." She gave Amarië a wink and the elleth could not help but giggle. "Good then. You will accept? Please say you will, Amarië. It would be good to have another elleth who understands what it means to love a Noldo."

Amarië gave her a considering look, realizing that the queen was sincere in her offer. She nodded and stood, giving Indis a profound curtsey. "I would be honored to be your lady-in-waiting, your Majesty. Thank you."

"You’re more than welcome, child," Indis said with a warm smile. "And I know Amáriel will be very pleased as well."

Amarië nodded as she resumed her seat, knowing her ammë would indeed be pleased by her appointment as a member of Lady Indis’ household, but not too pleased as to the reason for it. She was not looking forward to returning to Vanyamar and explaining it to her. Something in her expression must have alerted Indis, for she leaned over and patted her on the arm. "It will be well, child," the queen said gently. "It will be well."

Amarië attempted a smile, though she was not sure how successful she was, hoping that it would indeed be well... for all of them.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List