Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Across Arda's Ages  by Rhyselle

Nov 7: Supplication (TA 1944, Gondor)


Ondoher took a deep breath and dropped to his knees as he reached his destination. Far below in the Citadel, his generals met for the last time before they left to face the Wainriders, but here, his voice rose in supplication.

“Oh, Eru, I pray you will preserve my people unto better days. Father of All, please give them the faith that the Darkness will always succumb to the Light.”

At the end of his plea, he drew forth the seed from his pocket and planted it. “Give them hope,” he whispered, and returned to his duty below.



A/N: Ondoher was slain together with his eldest son and heir Artamir, and Gondor appeared defeated. The kingdom's fortune was reversed when General Eärnil, who had defeated the Haradrim, surprised the Wainriders and destroyed their army, ending their threat. With the deaths of Ondoher and his sons in battle, no direct royal heirs remained, so Arvedui of Arthedain claimed the throne of Gondor. Although Arvedui had a strong claim by his way of his wife Fíriel, who by ancient Númenórean law now should have become Ruling Queen, the throne was granted by the Steward Pelendur to the general Eärnil, a direct male-line descendant of King Telumehtar, who would reign as King Eärnil II.

This decision led to the reign of the Stewards in Gondor due to Eärnur, Eärnil II's only son, going off to battle the Witch King of Angmar at Minas Morgul without leaving an heir. Ultimately, this led to the return of "hope" in the Return of the King, Aragorn Elessar Telcontar in TA 3019. (Author's Note info summarized from Wikipedia entry.)







<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List