Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Better Once than Never  by Celeritas

This fic can be considered a prequel of sorts to my Sharing Sam series, dealing with the interactions of Rosie, Sam, and Frodo.  However, it cannot be considered a proper member of the series yet, because most of Rosie’s frustration is directed at Sam and she has not yet made up her mind about Frodo.  As Sam goes off on more forestry trips, I hope the reader will not find any difficulty in reconciling the state of Rosie’s emotions at the end of this fic with the state of them at the beginning of that series.

The title of this fic comes from Shakespeare’s The Taming of the Shrew; more specifically, the following scene:

KATHARINA

Husband, let's follow, to see the end of this ado.

PETRUCHIO

First kiss me, Kate, and we will.

KATHARINA

What, in the midst of the street?

PETRUCHIO

What, art thou ashamed of me?

KATHARINA

No, sir, God forbid; but ashamed to kiss.

PETRUCHIO

Why, then let's home again. Come, sirrah, let's away.

KATHARINA

Nay, I will give thee a kiss: now pray thee, love, stay.

PETRUCHIO

Is not this well? Come, my sweet Kate:

Better once than never, for never too late.

The same play is also the source of Rosie’s line “Our cake’s dough.”

All other stolen lines and words come straight from Tolkien and know who they are.

Socrates399 is indirectly responsible for Frodo’s gift to Rosie.

Dreamflower is indirectly responsible for my hobbit wassailing traditions.

Sam and Rosie are directly responsible for their own problems.

Recipes for the hot toddies and citron preserves to follow in a week’s time.  Watch this space!





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List