Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

The Annals of the West  by Dreamflower

 Title:  The Annals of the West, Part IV
Author:    Dreamflower
Recipient:    Celeritas AKA
Summary: ”In Brandy Hall there were many works dealing with Eriador and the history of Rohan.  Some of these were composed or begun by Meriadoc himself…It was probably at Great Smials that The Tale of Years was put together, with the assistance of material collected by Meriadoc.” (Prologue: Notes on the Shire Records) In Part Four: Even with Erestor's help, Merry finds he's taken on a daunting task...
Rating:   G.
Word Count: total story count—13,570; Part IV 3,115

The Annals of the West, Part IV

“Thank you, Meriadoc.” 

“You are welcome, Erestor, though I am just the post-hobbit.  The thanks should go to my cousin Pippin.  While he was very glad to take Hildifons’ journal back to the Shire, he thought it only fair that a copy come back here, to Rivendell, where he lived for so many years.”

Merry was surprised to see a hint of moisture in the Elf’s eyes, but Erestor blinked, and Merry wondered if perhaps it was just a trick of light.  Still—“Did you know Hildifons?” he asked.

“Most certainly.  Though here he was known by his name of ‘Trotter’.  He was a good friend to many of us, and we loved his bright presence among us.  It was one reason we were all so eager to welcome his nephew Bilbo among us later.”

“I read his journal.  He had as many perilous adventures as Pip and I did, though none so dangerous as Frodo’s and Sam’s.  But he did not come through it so well, I fear.  It was sad that he never returned to the Shire.”

Erestor looked at the slim volume that Merry had presented him with.  “I myself have never read the journal, though it was here in this library for many years ere Bilbo found it.  But I think I shall do so now.”  The Elf smiled in a wistful manner, and Merry thought perhaps he was remembering.  Not for the first time, he wondered what it must be like to live on and on, while so many of your friends grew old and died.  No wonder many Elves avoided the Secondborn.  But the moment of melancholy did not last long, for Erestor said briskly, “Now Merry, I have been giving thought to what you would need ever since Lord Celeborn told me of your request and asked me to assist you in your endeavor.  I believe it would be best to begin with the beginning of the Third Age.  We have many records here of the Dúnedain which are written in Westron.  Over here you will find those—“

He led Merry to a section of shelves on the East side of the library, next to the great windows that let in plenty of light.  There were hundreds of volumes, all bound in soft grey leather with the years of the Age tooled on the spines.  Merry noticed that curiously enough, the earliest years were on the lowest of the shelves.  He looked up at Erestor.  “I see you have already made accommodations for hobbits!”

He nodded approvingly.  “Indeed, both Hildifons and Bilbo were interested in those chronicles, and I arranged them thusly for their convenience.  I have never had reason since to re-arrange them.”

Merry stared at the volumes.  So very many of them, and that was only the Third Age!  For the first time, he began to feel intimidated at the task he had set himself.  He was not usually prone to doubting his ability to do something once he’d put his mind to it—but this was truly daunting.  He would have to pick and choose, and he would barely be able to cover all of the information he wished to in the time he’d set for himself.  Would he even have a long enough life to get to the First and Second Ages?

Almost as if he knew what Merry was thinking, Erestor said, “I am thinking that as you work your way through the Third Age, I shall compile the information that might be useful to you on the First and Second Ages.  Most of that material has never been translated to Westron, save for some of the tales and lays.  But there are histories here in both Sindarin and Quenya which include summaries of certain events.  I shall work my way through those.”

“Oh thank you, Erestor!  I was beginning to think I would have to lower my expectations of this project!  Either that or remain here as long as Bilbo did, and I do not think Estella would agree to that!”  There was a rumble in the vicinity of Merry’s stomach, and he chuckled.  “Speaking of my wife, I promised I would join her for a spot of elevenses this morning.  She was exploring the delights of Bilbo’s little kitchen when I came here this morning!”

“Do not make your wife wait, then,” said Erestor amiably.  “She is a most delightful lady, and I was pleased to make her acquaintance last night at supper.  I do hope you both will join all of us for luncheon today.”

“We will,” Merry assured him.  “And I will return here after elevenses, and make a start on all this.”  He flapped a hand in the general direction of the bookshelves.  He gave a genial nod to the Elf, and left.

Erestor smiled as he watched the hobbit, and remembered when Mithrandir had told him many years ago that there were few clocks to be found that were as accurate as a hobbit’s stomach at mealtimes.  Then he turned his attention to preparing the library for serious work.

He had already arranged one end of the large table with the high chair that Bilbo had always used when he was using the library.  Ink and several blank bound journals which were useful for taking notes, quills, a penknife, sand and blotting paper, all were handy there.  He had prepared a similar area for himself at the opposite end of the table.  And as he had no desire for “elevenses”, he decided to get to work.  Elves had all the time in the world.  But sometimes their friends did not.

He walked over to a different section of the library, and reaching up, took down a worn volume bound in tooled black leather.  It was somewhat battered, and Erestor thought that perhaps this one might be due for rebinding.

The First Age

c. 1
Return of the Noldor to Middle-earth. Death of Feanor.
Awakening of Men in Hildorien.
Dagor-nuin-Giliath.
c. 50
Journey of Turgon and Finrod.
c. 75
Dagor Aglareb. The Siege of Angband is set by the Princes of the Noldor.
c. 100
Foundation of Nargothrond.
c. 126
Completion of Gondolin. Turgon's people begin the migration from Nevrast.
c. 265
Glaurung ravages Beleriand, but is driven back to Angband.
c. 305
Men are discovered in Ossiriand by Finrod Felagund.
320
Likely year of Maeglin's birth in Nan Elmoth.
c. 345
Death of Eol the Dark Elf.
c. 345
Return of Aredhel and Maeglin to Gondolin.
c. 435
Approximate date of the birth of Haldir of the Haladin.
439
Birth of Hurin Thalion, later Lord of Dor-lomin.
c. 443
Approximate date for the birth of Beren Erchamion.
c. 445
Birth of Ereinion, later called Gil-galad.
c. 450
Birth of Larnach.
455
Celegorm and Curufin flee Himlad for Nargothrond. Dagor Bragollach. Breaking of the Siege of Angband. Fingolfin slain in single combat with Morgoth. Hurin and Huor are brought to Gondolin by Thorondor.
456
Hurin and Huor return out of Gondolin to Dor-lomin.
457
Capture of Minas Tirith by the forces of Sauron.
462
Galdor is slain in the siege of Barad Eithel.
463
Birth of Turin in Dor-lomin.
464
Beren first comes upon Luthien.
c. 465
Celegorm and Curufin are exiled from Nargothrond and journey to Himring. Beren sets out from Doriath on the Quest for the Silmaril
c. 465
Finrod and Beren are imprisoned in Tol-in-Gaurhoth. Finrod is slain by a werewolf, but Berenis rescued by Luthien.
466
Beren and Luthien recover a Silmaril from Morgoth's Iron Crown, but it is taken by Carcharoth….”


Merry was pleased to see everything ready when he returned.  Erestor was absorbed in what he was doing, and acknowledged Merry’s greeting with an absent-minded wave of his hand.  Merry went over to the end of the table prepared for him, opened the first volume, and began to take notes…

 

”Third Age

2-3 Isildur slain in the Gladden Fields; the shards of Narsil brought North.
10
    Valandil becomes the king of Arnor.
249
   Valandil is succeeded by his son Eldacar.
339
    Eldacar is succeeded by his son Arantar.
435
    Arantar is succeeded by his son Tarcil.
525
    Tarcil is succeeded by his son Tarondor.
602
   Tarondor is succeeded by his son Valandur.
652
   Valandur is slain in mysterious circumstances.  He is succeeded by his son Elendur. 
777
    Elendur is succeeded by his son Earendur.
861
    Death of Earendur; Arnor is divided into three kingdoms among his sons, and becomes Arthedain, Cardolan and Rhudaur…”

As the days passed, Merry began to feel he was making some progress.  He did stop working for a while each day, to spend time with Estella, and they explored the beautiful valley together, or spent evenings listening to the Elven music in the Hall of Fire.  Still, there was a great deal more to work on.  And one day, after he began to wonder if all there was to find were boring lists of Dunedain kings he came across this notation:

”In the year 1050 of this Third Age, the rumours and tales of an elusive small folk who seemingly dwelt near the Anduin were proven true.  A small group of this people was found wandering in the Western slopes of the Misty Mountains.  The little people, who called themselves holbytlan, were found by Elven scouts from Imladris. It was thought at first they might be some form of beardless petty-dwarves, but it soon became clear that they were some new race altogether.  There were several families of these people, only half as high as the Edain, and the halflings were in a pitiable state, nearly perished of the cold.  In spite of their sorry state, they seemed a kind and cheerful folk who worked hard, and the men of the town of Bree were pleased to welcome them among them. ”

These were followed in after years by other kindred of the small folk.  They have been a people of the Bree-lands for several generations now.”

After nearly a week, Estella presented herself in the library.  “Merry, there is a reason I can’t help you with this!”

“Are you sure, Estella?  It can be tedious, though sometimes parts of it are interesting.  I don’t want you to feel you have to do this.”

“Silly hobbit!”  She kissed him lightly.  “I know I don’t have to.”

Erestor found a second one of the tall chairs, and soon Estella was engrossed in the histories as well…


1600 
      King Argeleb I meets with the leaders of the halfling peoples, who are settled in Bree.
1601
     King Argeleb I grants the area known as Suza to the halflings.  They are given the land in fealty to the King; In return, they were to maintain the great stone bridge across the Baranduin, and the Great Road that runs East and West through that country.
1636
     A great plague decimates Cardolan, and affects other parts of Arnor to a lesser degree…”

As the weeks passed, Merry began to feel more hopeful.  Erestor had completed the notes on the First and Second Age, and had begun to give Merry and Estella assistance in their work on the Third Age.

The problem, Merry thought, is that the Third Age is so much more interesting to hobbits.  It seemed plain to him that if hobbits had even existed prior to the end of the Second Age, that no one knew of them at all.  Though he wondered if Gandalf might have known…


1940 
Gondor and Arnor renew communications and form an alliance. Arvedui weds Firiel daughter of Ondoher of Gondor.
1944
Ondoher falls in battle. Earnil defeats the enemy in South Ithilien. He then wins the Battle of the Camp, and drives Wainriders into the Dead Marshes. Arvedui claims the crown of Gondor.

1945 
Earnil II receives the crown.

1974 
End of the North-kingdom. The Witch-kingdom overruns Arthedain and takes Fornost.

1975 
Arvedui drowned in the Bay of Forochel. The palantiri of Annúminas and Amon Sûl are lost. Earnur brings a fleet to Lindon. The Witch-king defeated at the Battle of Fornost, and pursued to the Ettenmoors. He vanishes from the North.

1976 
Aranarth takes the title of Chieftain of the Dunedain. The heirlooms of Arnor are given into the keeping of Elrond...

1979
Bucca of the Marish becomes the first Thain of the Shire…”


Merry could not help but grin at this.  He was, after all, getting someplace.  But there was a great deal more to do.  They had been here nearly a month, and he had to acknowledge that there was no way he could be back to the Shire on the first of Astron.  It was time to write a letter.

”Rivendell
20 Rethe, S.R. 1459, Fourth Age 37

Dear Pip,

Well, it’s only five days to the New Year by the New Reckoning, but more to the point, it is only a little over ten days until your birthday, and I do not see how we can get back in time!

I am sorrier than I can say to miss it.  But the work is progressing well, and I do believe we will have enough information for me to bring home in another week…”    Or so, he thought.

Oh, how he wished he could show Pippin the things he’d found.  He and Estella had felt a thrill every time they encountered mentions of hobbits in these chronicles of Men.  Pippin would enjoy it immensely, if he were only here right now.  He stopped for a moment, staring out at the view, when he became aware of a presence behind him.  Surely not…

He turned.

“I wondered how long it would take you to notice me,” Pippin said with a grin.

Merry flew from his seat and grabbed his cousin in a back-pounding embrace.  Then he drew back and looked at him sternly.  “I thought you said you couldn’t leave Sam on his own with that road building project!”

“Nor did I,” said Pippin smugly.  “I hired your cousin Mosco Burrows to oversee the whole thing.  After all, he’d worked for the king at Annúminas!  And then he was able to call in some Dwarves to help.  Sam and I were not needed at all once they got to work, so we decided to come fetch you back.”

“Sam?  Sam is here too?”

Pippin laughed.  “I see that it is still possible to surprise you, Meriadoc!”

Work was suspended for the rest of the day, and the hobbits were happy to spend some time in one another’s company.  Estella, of course, was filled with questions about her children.

“Wyn and Perry are doing just fine,” Pippin answered.  “I think you would be very pleasantly surprised at how well Perry’s kept busy with Buckland’s affairs.  He’s listening to Beri, and he’s handling things quite capably.  In fact, he’d take them almost too seriously if I had not thought to leave Fam with him when we passed through Buckland on the way.  Wyn is doing quite well, too.  She’s taken on most of the responsibility for the Spring Festival in Bucklebury, and I daresay some of her ideas will make it a very memorable occasion.”

Sam nodded.  “They’re right grown up and doing well.  I think you’ll be right proud of ‘em. And Dilly and Goldi are having a grand visit.  Rose is keeping ‘em busy with watching the youngest and with helping to put up the summer fruits and berries.”

“Now, more to the point, Merry, we came to see if we can pry you loose and bring you home, for you’ve been here longer than you planned already.”

Estella gave a small smile, and suddenly Merry realised she must have written to his friends.  She probably thought they would never get out of Rivendell until he’d looked through every book there.  Ruefully, he had to admit to himself it was quite likely.

He nodded.  “I think you are right.  Really, there are only a few more things I need here now.   This book is going to take a long time, and it may call for another visit here in the future, but I’ve only a few more notes I really need, and I can sort through them all once we get back.”

“Three days,” said Pippin decidedly.  “Sam and I want to rest, and maybe visit a little ourselves.  But in three days we head back home.”

Merry shook his head resignedly, and then laughed.  “Now I think I know how Frodo felt in Crickhollow, being the victim of a Conspiracy!”

”2956 (1356 Shire Reckoning)
Aragorn meets Gandalf and their friendship begins.

2957 - 90 (1357 - 90 Shire Reckoning)
Aragorn undertakes his great journeys and errantries. As Thorongil he serves in disguise both Thengel of Rohan and Ecthelion II of Gondor.

2968 (1368 Shire Reckoning)
Birth of Frodo Baggins.

2976 (1376 Shire Reckoning)
Denethor weds Finduilas of Dol Amroth.

2977 (1377 Shire Reckoning)
Bain son of Bard becomes King of Dale.

2978 (1378 Shire Reckoning)
Birth of Boromir son of Denethor II.

2980 (1380 Shire Reckoning)
Aragorn enters Lorien, and there meets again Arwen Undomiel. Aragorn gives her the ring of Barahir, and they plight their troth upon the hill of Cerin Amroth. About this time Gollum reaches the confines of Mordor and becomes acquainted with Shelob. Theoden becomes King of Rohan. Birth of Samwise.

2982 (1382 Shire Reckoning)
The birth of Meriadoc Brandybuck.

2983 (1383 Shire Reckoning)
Faramir son of Denethor born.

2984 (1384 Shire Reckoning)
Death of Ecthelion II. Denethor II becomes Steward of Gondor.

2988 (1388 Shire Reckoning)
Finduilas dies young.

2989 (1389 Shire Reckoning)
Balin leaves Erebor and enters Moria.

2990 (1390 Shire Reckoning)
The birth of Peregrin Took.

2991 (1391 Shire Reckoning)
Eomer Eomund's son born in Rohan.

2994 (1394 Shire Reckoning)
Balin perishes, and the dwarf-colony is destroyed.

2995 (1395 Shire Reckoning)
Eowyn sister of Eomer born.

c. 3000 (1400 Shire Reckoning)
The shadow of Mordor lengthens. Saruman dares to use the palantir of Orthanc, but becomes ensnared by Sauron, who has the Ithil Stone. He becomes a traitor to the Council. His spies report that the Shire is being closely guarded by the Rangers.

3001 (1401 Shire Reckoning)
Bilbo's farewell feast. Gandalf suspects his ring to be the One Ring. The guard on the Shire is doubled. Gandalf seeks for news of Gollum and calls on the help of Aragorn.

3002 (1402 Shire Reckoning)
Bilbo becomes a guest of Elrond, and settles in Rivendell. “

Pippin looked over Merry’s shoulder.  “Well, it seems interesting to see it all put down like that.”

Merry nodded.  “We have the rest of the story already.  Bilbo and Frodo and Sam saw to that.”

“Now cousin, see to packing up these notes.  We are leaving in the morning.”

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List