Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

The Annals of the West  by Dreamflower

This story is a lot longer than I anticipated it being! And it took a great deal more research than I thought it would.

I owe a debt of thanks to danae_b for the work she did on her “Annotated Tale of Years”. Although my links to it no longer work, I am very thankful that I happened to have downloaded it a few years ago. I thought the file was lost, but fortunately found it on a back-up disc. I hope I can persuade her to allow it to be posted publicly once more.
ETA: I just discovered that Dana's Annotated ToY may still be found here on her website. This is a marvelous resource!

Other sources I used for this story:

The Thain’s Book: entry on the Dúnedain of the North
Travel Routes and Times in Middle-earth
Eowyn Challenge.net: The Hobbit: Bag End to Rivendell (I used the times and distances from The Hobbit rather than from LotR, as in this story, Merry and Estella stick to the road, and do not take Strider’s famous short-cut.)
The Ring of Words: Tolkien and the Oxford English Dictionary by Paul Gilliver, Jeremy Marshall and Edmund Weiner

And most importantly, the Appendices to The Lord of the Rings, most especially Appendices A and B, and to the Prologue: Note on the Shire Records

I hope no one thinks that four years is too short a time to complete a massive work of this sort. After all, canonically Frodo completed the entire Red Book in only two years.

There is a good deal of territory left uncovered in this story, but there was only so much I could do with a deadline looming over me! Perhaps I will one day fill in a few of the gaps.

Celeritas, I hope you enjoyed your Yule story!





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List