Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

If It's Trewsday It Must Be Buckland...  by Dreamflower

March 11, 2011 Challenge:

"Peace demands the most heroic labor and the most heroic sacrifices." Thomas Merton

Write a story or poem or create artwork where characters make sacrifices in order to achieve their goals.

"But the Queen Arwen said: 'A gift I will give you.  For I am the daughter of Elrond.  I shall not go with him now when he departs to the Havens; for mine is the choice of Luthien, and as she so have I chosen, both the sweet and the bitter.  But in my stead you shall go, Ring-bearer, when the time comes, and if you then desire it.  If your hurts grieve you still and the memory of your burden is heavy, then you may pass into the West until all your wounds and weariness are healed. But wear this now in memory of Elfstone and Evenstar with whom your life has been wound.'

And she took a white gem like a star that lay upon her breast hanging upon a silver chain, and she set the chain about Frodo's neck.  'When the memory of the fear and the darkness troubles you,' she said, 'this will bring you aid." (RotK, Book VI, Chapter VI, Many Partings)

"It  must often be so, Sam, when things are in danger; some one has to give them up, lose them, so others may keep them." (RotK, Book VI, Chapter IX, The Grey Havens)

"Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy." (Matthew 5:7)

White Stone

White stone, gleaming like a star,
Bringing from afar
A spark of hope.

One gave away immortality
To gain eternity,
And all for love.

One cast away his very being,
The whole world freeing,
And all for peace.

And when the course of time was spent
One stayed and one went,
Two acts of faith.

White sails and the setting sun,
Two sacrifices are done,
For others' sake.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List