Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Following the Road  by Mysterious Jedi

"Faramir, I would like to thank you for organizing my coronation. I know it cannot have been easy for you, as your family has ruled for so long. I am blessed to have Steward whom I know will be loyal."

Faramir could not hold Aragorn's gaze. "I fear your trust might be misplaced, my lord. There have been times in my life where my loyalties have been divided, and I fear such may happen again someday even while I seek to serve you, though I pray it will not be so."

Aragorn gazed at his Steward in concern. "Of what events do you speak? The people of Gondor hold you to be a man of honor, and I know the hobbits think highly of you. Even Gandalf praises your character."

Faramir sighed. "But my lord, Mithrandir and the hobbits, as dear as they are to me, are the very ones who have sparked this conflict within me. Before my father died...well, he was my liege lord, and I was bound by law to tell him about the hobbits. Boromir was the loyal one. Boromir would have taken him the Ring. I do not regret my decision; I knew that the Ringbearer had to fulfill his Quest or Gondor would fall to ruin. Yet I still broke faith with my lord and my father. I still became an oathbreaker."

Such was the force of Faramir's will that he kept the tears from forming in his eyes, but Aragorn could still sense the deep unease within his Steward.

"Faramir, you have no cause to be ashamed. You perceived the need for the hobbits' errand, and you helped them to complete it. To do otherwise could have led to the ruin of all. Do you think your father would have wanted that, in the end?"

"I suppose not, my lord, but I broke my word, nevertheless. And now I can never seek forgiveness, or approval. There was much left unresolved between us when he passed."

"Your father was a good man, Faramir, but he was laden with grief, and wearied by his use of the Palantir. Had it been otherwise, I am certain he would have condoned your actions, in the end. But since he cannot express his appreciation himself, I will. I know I am not your father, but I am your liege lord, and I tell you that you are no oathbreaker. Even my own forefather could not withstand the temptation of the Ring, but you prevailed. I count you as a loyal man, Faramir. Would you contest the ruling of your king?"

Faramir looked up. "I would not. Thank you, my lord."

"You are most welcome, Faramir."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List