Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Following the Road  by Mysterious Jedi

As Olwë stood at the edge of the island, he looked back east towards the land he was leaving. He was glad Ulmo had come back for his people, truly, but he could not bear to leave Elwë behind. They were brothers, after all. Olwë's thoughts drifted back to all the experiences they had shared.

***
As he drew his first breath, the stars caught his attention, and he marvelled at their beauty. After a long while, he managed to turn his gaze from the sky and look around. Lying next to him was someone who seemed equally entranced by the twinkling lights above. From the moment their eyes met, they knew they were meant to be brothers, and they shared their first smile. Throughout the days that followed, they explored their surroundings together, helping the other Quendi to make up names for the wonders that surrounded them. They rejoiced together every time they made a new discovery, and grieved together every time a friend strayed too far and was taken.

When Oromë asked Elwë to be an ambassador, Olwë encouraged him to go. When he returned, ceacelessly prasing the Undying Lands and the Light of the Trees, Olwë listened more attentively than anyone else did. He helped his brother convince their kin to join them in the Great Journey, and together they ruled all of those who would later be known as the Teleri.

***

But where was Elwë now? Olwë and his people had searched long and hard, but they could find no trace of him. Had he been taken by the forces of darkness? Could he have gotten lost somewhere, and withered away from lack of food? Olwë had wept many tears of frustration at his failure to find out what had happened.

He was leaving, soon, and there would be no coming back. What a terrible brother he was, abandoning the search! He longed to stay with those who had determined to keep looking...but his people still needed a leader. In Elwë's absence, especially, they looked to him for guidance.

He could not insist that they all remain in Middle Earth. Ulmo had come back to take them across the Sea, to the land lit by the Two Trees he had heard so much about. In addition, many of his people had dear friends among the kindreds that had gone West before them, and they were eager to be reuinted.

Some would stay and keep looking for Elwë. Some would remain by the shores, at Ossë's request: Círdan was chief among these. As for the rest, they would ride this island across the sea, and they needed Olwë to lead them. He would not neglect his people, but he would always miss his brother.





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List