Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

A Long-Expected Wedding  by Fiondil

Chapter the Nineteenth:

In Which the Bride Disappears and the Groom Departs

True to his word, Arafinwë had the china packed up and put into a store room and nothing more was said about it publicly, though Arafinwë and Eärwen discussed it between themselves.

"I never thought Almáriel could be so vindictive," Arafinwë opined when he and Eärwen were alone later that evening.

His wife gave him a sour look. "I doubt that she is. She obviously wished to repeat the color scheme of the wedding garb."

Arafinwë raised an eyebrow. "You expected our son to wear those colors? Are you and Almáriel insane? He should be wearing his house colors, as should Amarië."

"If you think that color combination is bad, you should have seen what Almáriel originally picked out," Eärwen retorted, getting angry. "I’ve done my best to curb her bad taste, my lord, but, unlike the Valar, I cannot just dictate my wishes and turn them into law."

"Well, I can," Arafinwë responded, getting equally angry. "I’ve stayed well away from the wedding preparations, knowing that my presence would be unappreciated and unwelcomed, but I thought you had a better grip on things. Almáriel... well, I do not care whom I offend here, but that china will not be used on our son’s wedding day."

"Yet tradition demands...."

"Tradition be damned!" Arafinwë nearly shouted. "Do you want another episode like the one we had this afternoon? And what about the other Reborn who will be attending the wedding? What will their reactions be on seeing that particular pattern? No. On this, my word is law. That china stays where it is. If Almáriel finds that pattern pleasing to her, she may have it back."

"Then we will have to use our china," Eärwen said, her eyes flashing, "and be the laughing stock of Eldarin society."

"I can live with that, and so can Findaráto. Indeed, he has had to these last few weeks. Don’t think I’m unaware of how some of the courtiers have treated him during his time working in the kitchen."

"I’ve never accused you of not knowing what goes on under your own roof, Arafinwë."

"Well, apparently I don’t know everything," he snarled, his expression one of anger and disgust mixed. "I had no idea about the wedding garb. I cannot believe you think our son will allow himself to be humiliated in that manner. I’m half inclined to tell Findaráto to just show up for the wedding wearing that blue tunic his friend made for him. At least then, people will only go half blind if they just have Amarië’s garb to contend with."

Eärwen’s only response to that was a raised eyebrow.

****

Finrod, Glorfindel and Intarion remained subdued over the next couple of days and even Vorondil and Vondo could not lighten their mood. Ingalaurë was also less exuberant and Ingwion kept a close watch on his twin. Sador spent most of his time in his pottery workshop when court protocol did not demand his presence elsewhere and soon the others gravitated there, quietly working on their own projects. There was little talking or playing about but the atmosphere was not tense and by Valanya even Finrod seemed more himself, cheerfully humming a spritely tune as he worked at the pottery wheel.

That good mood did not last though. Later that evening, as the royals gathered for a quiet meal together in the family dining room, a page brought a courier from Vanyamar who handed Arafinwë a diplomatic pouch tied with red ribbons and sealed with the High King’s seal, the color of the ribbons indicating urgent business. Arafinwë sighed and excused himself, taking the courier with him. The others continued eating, each of them wondering what disaster could have befallen that demanded the King’s immediate attention.

Five minutes later Arafinwë returned, clutching a missive, his expression set in a scowl. "Amarië has disappeared," he announced baldly.

"WHAT!!" Finrod cried out, leaping to his feet. "What do you mean, disappeared?"

There were several moments of pandemonium as everyone competed with one another in asking questions and demanding answers. Arafinwë raised his hand imperiously, his expression gone cold and silence fell among them. The King waited another minute before speaking. "She went to her parent’s estate, The Clouds I believe it’s called, or at least, that is what she intended. She never arrived."

"What does Ingwë say?" Eärwen asked. "Are there no clues? Surely she did not travel alone. What of the others with her?"

"They, too, have disappeared," Arafinwë answered, sitting down at the table. "According to Ingwë, Amarië and her party left shortly after breaking their fast and should have arrived at The Clouds by the third hour but they never did. Oddly enough, only one guard accompanied them."

"How many were in the party?" Finrod demanded.

Arafinwë glanced at the missive. "Three other ellith accompanied Amarië."

"Four ellith and only one ellon to escort them?" Eärwen asked in disbelief. "Whatever was Almáriel thinking to let her daughter leave the city with so few guards?"

Arafinwë shook his head, but before he could reply Finrod spoke. "It matters not. What matters is learning of their whereabouts. Does Uncle say nothing?"

"There was a search, but nothing conclusive."

"How long ago did they disappear?" Glorfindel asked. "That courier would have taken at least four days to get here if he did not stop to rest and had at least three horses with which to switch off."

"They left the city last Aldúya," Arafinwë answered, "but no alarm was raised until late in the evening of Menelya when Castamir and Almáriel went to the estate as is their habit to spend Valanya away from the court. No one at The Clouds was aware that Amarië was coming so they did not look for her."

"Odd," Eärwen said. "I’m sure a message would have been sent at least the day before to alert the staff of her arrival so all would be in readiness. Almáriel, at least, would have done so even if Amarië failed to."

"Unless it was a spur-of-the-moment decision on her part," Ingwion suggested. "She’s known to do that."

"Who else was in her party?" Finrod asked.

"This is where it gets worse. Intarion, Sador..." Arafinwë paused, giving them a grimace, then his expression became more sympathetic, and when he spoke it was with great gentleness. "Lirulin and Alassiel were with her."

"My wife!" Intarion exclaimed, going suddenly pale.

"Alassiel!" Sador cried out almost at the same time, leaping to his feet.

"And the other elleth?" Ingwion asked even as he and Ingalaurë were attempting to comfort Intarion while Glorfindel went to comfort Sador. "You said four ellith and an ellon."

"The other elleth is one of Amarië’s maids," Arafinwë said.

"So, my betrothed leaves Vanyamar, ostensibly to go to her parents’ estate, accompanied by Lirulin and Alassiel, with a single maid and a single guard," Finrod enumerated, his eyes narrowing. "Alassiel is capable of taking care of herself, but Lirulin...."

"And don’t forget the servants at the estate had no prior warning of their arrival," Glorfindel pointed out.

"So they would not know to raise the alarm when the party did not arrive as expected," Finrod finished the thought. "She planned this." He nodded, a grim smile of admiration if not approval on his face. "She must have told her parents that she had sent a message to the people at The Clouds to allay any suspicion and then at a convenient place, she left the road. But where did she go? Certainly not here."

"And Lirulin and Alassiel were her co-conspirators," Ingwion said. "The guard and the maid would do what they were told, or perhaps they were willing to go along, though if I catch up with the ellon he’s going to regret it."

"Do not be too harsh in judgment, Cousin," Finrod said. "Amarië has a way of getting people to do as she pleases, and the guard may not have realized what she was about until it was too late. One ellon, however armed, would be no match for three determined ellith, four, if one assumes the maid was in on it from the beginning."

"And what of Olwen?" Ingwion asked. "She was staying with Amarië when I left, helping her with the linens and all."

"She was not there at the time," Arafinwë said. "Ingwë apparently anticipated your question because he states that she was spending the day with Elindis and Indil, so knew nothing about it."

"But where would they have gone and why?" Finrod demanded in frustration. "It’s useless to go all the way to Vanyamar to begin the search, the trail would be too cold even for Vondo to find. If I recall, The Clouds lies to the southeast of the city, sitting upon a low ridge of the mountains. Intarion, you and Lirulin helped Amarië to escape from the estate when Almáriel was keeping her there, do you remember?"

"Vaguely," Intarion admitted. "I recall that we left the road and headed down into the plain and made our way towards Eldamas. We didn’t actually enter the city, at least the ellith didn’t. I went in and gathered some supplies and then we circled to the east until we met up with the road to Tirion on the other side of Valmar."

"So Amarië would know where to turn off the road," Finrod said, nodding to himself. "I must assume their destination was neither Eldamas nor Tirion, yet where else could they have gone? If to the west, there is only Lórien."

"Or Lady Nienna’s," Ingwion offered but Finrod shook his head.

"As with Lord Námo’s demesne, no one approaches Lady Nienna’s house without an invitation," he said, "and they would have no reason to go there. Lórien would be a logical choice, but my heart tells me they did not go that way."

"Then they went east, somehow avoiding Tirion yet still making their way down the Calacirya without anyone being the wiser," Arafinwë said.

"Olwen and I were able to do just that coming the other direction," Ingwion reminded them with a smile. "It’s possible Olwen told them about the route we took."

"Do you think Olwen was in on it?" Finrod asked.

But Ingwion shook his head. "If Olwen says she had no prior knowledge of Amarië’s intent, then she did not. She would not lie."

"Yet, if she were in on it...."

"Then she would have insisted on going with them," Ingwion said with assurance. "She would not wish to be left behind and I imagine she is even now saving up some choice words with which to inform your future wife of her feelings of being left behind." This last was said with a dry tone and a wry smile and there were knowing chuckles from the others.

"I’m going after them," Finrod announced.

"Where would you look?" Arafinwë asked.

"If they meant to go to Alqualondë, they would have brought Olwen with them, but as they didn’t the only other place they could go is Tol Eressëa."

"But why?" Eärwen demanded. "Why not just come here where they know they would be welcomed."

"I’ll have to ask her when I catch up with her," Finrod said. "Who’s with me?"

"I’m coming with you," Glorfindel said.

"As will I," Intarion chimed in, scowling at Ingwion who looked ready to protest.

"I want to go, too," Ingalaurë insisted. "Inti can’t have all the fun."

"Neither of you is going," Ingwion said forcibly.

"You have no right to tell me what to do, Cousin," Intarion retorted angrily. "Lirulin is my wife and Alassiel my daughter and I’m going after them."

"And I’m not going to sit here being bored by you while Inti gets to have fun," Ingalaurë insisted, scowling at his twin.

"Now just a minute," Ingwion started to say but was interrupted by Marilla’s unexpected appearance.

"Yes, Marilla, what is it?" Arafinwë said somewhat impatiently.

"Forgive the interruption, your Majesty, but I’m somewhat in a quandary. I’ve lost two of my apprentices."

"Lost? How have you been so careless as to lose two apprentices?" Arafinwë demanded, getting angry. "Is this a day for everyone to get lost on? I must have missed seeing the notation on my calendar."

Eärwen gave her husband a disapproving look while the others just gaped at him, most of them unused to seeing this side of the King.

"Oh, not in the way you think, my lord," Marilla replied smoothly. "I only meant that I’m short a couple of hands as two of my people have gone to visit with their families and won’t be returning until the day after tomorrow. I wondered if you knew of two likely... um... volunteers who could help out in a pinch."

There was a moment of complete silence. Glorfindel stared at the Head Cook with narrowed eyes, wondering what was going on. Her request was too... providential, for he could see both Intarion and Ingalaurë wavering in their resolve to go with him and Finrod to Tol Eressëa. Intarion, especially, seemed particularly torn and he had a sudden sympathy for the young Reborn. He wondered just what his relationship with Lirulin and Alassiel was, for surely he was too emotionally young yet to take on the responsibilities of being husband and father. Still, he had to wonder just how Marilla knew to come when she did. If she were short of staff she would’ve just applied to the guild for temporary help; she would not be seeking ‘volunteers’ among the nobility. He had a sudden suspicion that Mistress Marilla was more than she seemed.

Arafinwë appeared to understand Marilla’s intent, for he went to Intarion, laying his hands on the ellon’s shoulders and giving him a gentle smile. "I have every faith that Lirulin and Alassiel are well. There is no need for everyone to go haring off to Tol Eressëa to bring them and Amarië back. I think you and Ingalaurë are better off staying here. Neither of you have been to Tol Eressëa and I think the experience may prove overwhelming. Why don’t you two help Marilla out, while Findaráto and Glorfindel go fetch the ellith?"

Glorfindel could see both ellyn wavering, not willing to give in. "Atar is correct," he said, stepping forward to lay an arm around Ingalaurë’s shoulders. "Tol Eressëa is far different from Tirion or Vanyamar and we don’t need everyone to help bring the ellith back. You and Intarion can be of better service helping Mistress Marilla out."

The two Vanyarin Reborn eyed one another and then gave reluctant nods. Arafinwë gave Intarion a hug. "Then it’s settled." He turned to look at his son. "Do you mean to set out tonight?"

Finrod nodded. "I want to get to Tol Eressëa sooner rather than later."

"I’ll have a writ of passage written up so you may commandeer any ship in harbor."

"What about you, Sador? Care to join us?" Glorfindel asked with a wicked grin.

"I just came from there," Sador said almost plaintively. "Why do ellith insist on making things so difficult?"

Both Eärwen and Marilla gave him disbelieving looks. "Usually it’s the ellyn who cause all the trouble," the Head Cook said with a sniff and Eärwen nodded in agreement.

"Let’s get going, then," Finrod said and began issuing orders for the horses to be readied while he, Glorfindel and Sador went off to change into riding gear.

****

The night was strewn with stars and Isil had only just risen, his light illuminating the Calacirya so the riders had a clear road before them. Glorfindel glanced at the dark towers lining the cleft, wondering if Nyéreser stood sentinel on one of them and how boring it must be for the Maia. They were nearly halfway to the harbor when they were suddenly accosted by bright lights and the mingled smell of several floral scents. The horses shied and they were all hard-pressed to bring them under control. Then the lights faded and before them was a contingent of Maiar, every one of them with swords of light out. Every one of them taller than the tallest Elf, so much so that even on horseback the Elves were forced to look up.

"Go back, Arafinwion," one of the Maiar said. "Thou canst not continue this way."

Glorfindel looked to see if perhaps Nyéreser or even Manveru were among the Maiar, and was surprised when he realized that he did not recognize any of them. He noticed that most, if not all, wore the emblem of Tulkas upon their surcoats and that surprised him even more.

"By what right do you detain me?" Finrod demanded angrily. "Am I an enemy of the Valar to be treated thus?"

"It is our masters who command us," the Maia responded. "Thou shalt not pass. Returnest thou to Tirion for this way is forbidden thee."

Now there was uncertainty in Finrod’s expression and Glorfindel raised an eyebrow. "Do you want to take the ten on the left, while I take the ten on the right?"

"But that does not leave me with any," Sador protested, his tone one of mild disapproval, as if they were arguing over who would have the last sticky bun.

Finrod snorted. "I’m rather tempted to do just that, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Lord Tulkas would be a tad upset if we took out his Maiar."

"And you do not want to upset our lord," the Maia responded with a feral grin, speaking less formally. "You are not likely to survive the experience and then you will have Lord Námo to contend with."

That last threat was not idle and they all knew it. "I suppose we’ve had enough fresh air for the night," Sador said diffidently. "Shall we race each other home?"

Finrod stared at the Maiar for a long moment before nodding. "Yes. By all means, let us return to our gilded cages like good little thralls."

The acerbic tone caught them all off-guard and Glorfindel noticed that several of the Maiar looked uncomfortable at Finrod’s words. The Maia who had spoken to them sighed, returning his sword into its sheath, the other Maiar doing the same. He stepped forward, his expression more sad than anything.

"Do not be too harsh in your judgment, Findaráto," he said quietly. "Our masters are not capricious in their commands. You are needed back in Tirion. I, Ramandor of the People of Tulkas, promise you that your beloved and the others with her are well and will come to Tirion when they are ready to do so. For now, you must trust that there is a good reason why you cannot go to them at this time."

There was a long moment of tense silence and then without another word, Finrod turned his horse about and headed back to Tirion. Glorfindel and Sador gave hasty bows to Ramandor and followed their gwador, none of them speaking. When Glorfindel turned his head back the way they had come he was unsurprised to see the Maiar gone but he had no doubt they would return if necessary. He sighed and turned to face forward, his expression troubled, wondering why they were needed back in Tirion when they had left it only two hours ago.

****

Their return so soon after departing caused quite a stir and Arafinwë demanded to know what had happened as they all met in the royal family’s sitting room. Finrod refused to speak, leaving Glorfindel and Sador to explain.

"Yet, why?" Arafinwë asked after hearing them out. "Nothing untoward has occurred while you were gone."

All three ellyn shrugged. But before anyone could speak, there was the almost overpowering smell of rosemary mixed with the fresher scent of asëa aranion and then in their midst stood the Maia Olórin.

"Ah, good, you’re back," he said without preamble.

Arafinwë raised an eyebrow. "Olórin, what is this all about?"

"What this is all about, Pityahuan, is that Findaráto needs to leave for Lórien as soon as possible, preferably within the hour."

"Lórien? I’m not going to Lórien," Finrod protested, his expression one of anger. "I refuse to be pushed about by the Valar in this manner. First I’m forbidden to go to Tol Eressëa and now I’m bidden to go to Lórien. Why? The wedding is only two weeks away. We could never get there and back in time."

"I assure you...."

"Assurance be damned!" Finrod shouted and without another word he stormed out of the room.

"Stop!" Olórin shouted, and such was the force of his command that Finrod did just that. Everyone else just stared at the Maia in shock, but Olórin’s attention was on Finrod. "Come back here, elfling."

Finrod cringed at the words but obeyed, looking rebellious. Olórin, for his part, merely nodded. "Lord Irmo has need of you in Lórien," he said. "That’s all you need to know. Take Glorfindel and Sador with you for the company."

An uncomfortable silence filled the room. Glorfindel noticed the wide-eyed looks on Ingalaurë’s and Intarion’s faces while Ingwion’s expression was less readable. Arafinwë and Eärwen both looked troubled. Sador appeared more resigned than anything. "I’ll go order the horses readied... again." He gave Olórin a sniff and the Maia smiled.

Arafinwë shook his head. "Not before we get an explanation," he said, giving Olórin a determined look.

If the Maia was upset, he did not show it. "Explanations can wait." He waved a hand in dismissal, his attention still on Finrod. "Be on the road within the hour and ride as swiftly as you can. Fresh horses will be provided along the way and I meant what I said. The Valar will see that you return in good time for the wedding." With that, the Maia faded from their view, leaving behind the scent of rosemary and kingsfoil.

"I’ll have Marilla prepare something for your journey," Eärwen said after a moment, exiting the room.

"I’ll see to the horses," Sador said and then Glorfindel and the Vanyarin cousins made their own excuses, leaving Arafinwë alone with Finrod. He took Finrod in his embrace and hugged him. "Being apprenticed to the Valar can be hard at times," he said, giving his son an understanding smile. "I do not think Lord Irmo would send for you at this time unless it was of the utmost importance."

Finrod nodded, but said nothing. After another moment, Arafinwë released him. "At least you’re already packed," he said, giving Finrod a sly grin. "That will save a lot of time."

Finrod’s only comment was a low-muttered oath in Sindarin that Arafinwë pretended not to hear. "I’ll see you to the gates," was his only comment as he steered his son out of the room.

An hour later, Finrod was riding out of Tirion with Glorfindel and Sador, but this time, they were heading west, not east.

****

Asëa aranion: (Quenya) Athelas or kingsfoil.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List