Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Celeritas' Birthday Bash 2011  by Celeritas

Sam was halfway to the Cottons’ when he saw Mr. Peregrin Took walking alongside the Water.  He tried to ignore him, but the moon was bright and he was caught.

“Hoy!” Pippin called out.  “Sam Gamgee!”

Sam turned, pretending to notice him for the first time.  “Hullo, Mr. Pippin,” he said.  “What are you doing out this late?”  Mr. Pippin was staying with Mr. Frodo, who did not keep particularly late hours these days, for a week.


“I wanted a walk,” said Mr. Pippin.  “And to see the stars, and to hear the Water, and—here I am!”  He put an arm around Sam’s shoulder.

Sam stiffened.  “Mr. Pippin,” he said, “I don’t mean to be rude, but are you—”

“Drunk?”  Mr. Pippin laughed.  “No,” he said, “just feeling remarkably Tookish at the moment.”

“Then,” said Sam, “might I suggest as you stop acting like you are drunk?”

“You made me work with manure when I was eleven, Sam.  I think that means we can be at least a little familiar with each other.”

At Sam’s look, though, Pippin removed his arm.  “Sorry,” he said.  “You’re quite sour today, Sam.  Is there anything the matter?”

“No,” said Sam, “I’m just busy, is all.”

“At midnight?”

Sam kept his mouth shut.

“Is Frodo being close about something?  I thought you’d have let us know if your fellow Conspirators needed to be called together again!”

Sam blushed furiously.  “No,” he said, “it’s nothing like that.  I—well, it’s my own affairs and not yours, if you take my meaning.”

“All right,” said Pippin slowly.  “Sorry I asked.”  He paused.  “I guess you might have need of the stars, too.”

Sam thought a while before saying anything.  It wasn’t that Mr. Pippin was wrong, it was just that a gardener who looked up at the stars wasn’t exactly a good gardener.  At the very least, he was an idle one, and only the gentry could afford to be idle.  “I do,” he said, finally, “much as it drives my Gaffer to grief.”

“Well, then,” said Pippin, “walk beneath the stars with me, talking or silent, as you wish, and whatever it is that has you so busy, you’ll feel better for it after.”

“Thank you, Mr. Pippin,” said Sam, “but—”  Well, things didn’t work that way, the way you got less busy was by doing more work.  Still, the blossom in his pocket was fresh, and Rosie wouldn’t wake to find it till dawn.  “But thank you,” he finally said, and they strolled under the summer sky together.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List