Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Vairë Was a Weaver, or, Real Men Wear Corsets  by Celeritas

Among the throngs at the sixth circle, two hobbits watched.  Inside the guest-house behind them, peeping out the window, were the faces of two more.

“And so another one of the Enemy’s works comes to ruin,” said Frodo when the procession had passed.

“It is funny, isn’t it,” said his companion.  “I mean, so many of the folk we saw on his side when we were traveling ended up here—talking to Strider and asking himfor all the red ink and treaties and such.  Why, I’ll bet that if he’d been on their land a year ago they’d’ve shot him on the spot!”

“They probably still would, if he appeared to them as Strider.  It will take time, but it has begun.  I am glad.”

The door banged open as Merry reentered the house.  “Pippin’s off for guard duty now, but you already knew that when he took extra food from the pantry.”

“You mean more than the usual extra food?”

Merry coughed.  “Right.”

“And why are you raiding the pantry?”

“Oh.  Rath Dínen.  I have my own duties, too, you know.  Why don’t you two… I don’t know… go outside or something?  Didn’t you at least watch the entry of Khand?”

“Yes,” said Frodo, “but from the comfort and relative noiselessness of indoors.  I’ll be interested in seeing what happens in the negotiations, though.”

“Mr. Frodo says you and Mr. Pippin are getting far too used to all the attention here and you’ll be sorely disappointed when you go back home,” said Sam.

“And I say that if you two aren’t honored for your services to the Shire I’ll eat my head.”  Merry left the building

Sam peered at Frodo.  “How could you…”

“It’s a turn of phrase, Sam.”

“I know it’s a turn of phrase, but it don’t make no sense…”

After a few moments’ silence, Frodo spoke.  “Now what?”

“I think now is when we get some lunch, Mr. Frodo.”

Frodo nodded.  “I was actually speaking in the longer term.  You’ve seen everything you wanted to, haven’t you?”

“Aye, and a great deal of things I haven’t wanted to, as necessary as they were.  And yes, I’d like to go home, though I’d like to stay here, too—I need to see my Gaffer, and…”  Here Sam broke off and blushed.

“Yes, yes, I understand.  I was considering asking Aragorn what his plans were—if we had leave to depart.  I shall probably wait until all this delegation business is over, though.  That should give me a few days to finish the writing I’ve been putting off for so long.”

“I thought you’d finished all of your notes!”

“Not all of them,” said Frodo.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List