Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Vairë Was a Weaver, or, Real Men Wear Corsets  by Celeritas

The King’s work for the evening was much more fruitful than the meeting with the ambassador, because he was not dealing with anyone else, and because he was not interrupted.  He hoped dearly that the Khandis would consent to negotiations, that the afternoon’s work may not be futile, and then might the deals truly begin.

            Arwen and Éowyn would almost surely be done concocting this stage of their foul plan, but he still wished to see one guest of the city before he retired for the night.  To this guest’s apartments he now made his way.

            “Master Elrond?” he said, making a slight bow.

            “I will not comment on how ironic I find it that the King of the Reunited Realms is bowing to me in the heart of his own kingdom,” said Elrond.

            “Ah, but I am in great need of your help.  It concerns Arwen.”

            “Oh?  How so?”

            “She has prevailed on me to promise her to wear a dress for her tomorrow.”

            Elrond was not quite sure he had heard correctly.  “I thought that during your first sojourn in Lothlórien you had been dressed in elven—”

            “Not ‘dress;’ a dress.  One of the ones made for her arrival, to be precise.”

            “This is strange news indeed.  How do you propose that I assist you?”

            “If you could only persuade her to delay the day until Khand has left—”

            But the Lord of Rivendell just shook his head.  “She is her own woman, and even if she were not, I have relinquished any charge I might have held to her.  If you cannot persuade her no one will.”

            Aragorn nodded grimly.  “Then I shall have to do without hope.”

            “I do thank you for warning me, however.  You in women’s attire is one memory I would wish to forget, if ever I experience it.  I shall inform my sons and Legolas of the potential danger—perhaps we will remain indoors.”

            The King bowed again, and then left the room.  Was that laughter he heard from within?





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List