Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Vairë Was a Weaver, or, Real Men Wear Corsets  by Celeritas

Lothíriel had chosen the ivory dress with the wide neck.  She did not know what her escort would be wearing, but white had a better chance of matching a king of Rohan than blue or grey or black.  Her fine hair was delicately pinned up, and she was just clasping her mother’s pearls around her neck when she heard a tap at the door.  She rose smoothly and took a deep breath.  “Come in,” she said.

Éowyn stepped in, her brother in tow.  “Éomer,” she said, “this is the Lady Lothíriel, who is staying Minas Tirith while her family…”  She paused; Lothíriel could tell she did not have as much experience in this kind of talk.  Good thing it’s Faramir marrying her, then. “Her family helps the rest of Gondor accustom itself to having a king.”

Lothíriel swept a curtsey, bowing her head at just the right angle.

“Lothíriel,” said Éowyn, “this is my brother, Éomer, King of the Riddermark.”

Éomer bowed.  “Your face is not unknown to me, my lady.  Have we met before?”

“Indeed we have, my lord,” said Lothíriel, “though surely you must have been introduced at least twice to every single lady in this city.  I first was introduced to you, and to Elessar, and many others, shortly after my arrival here.  My father Imrahil wanted all his family to become acquainted with the heroes of the War.”

Éomer froze.  It was only years of practice that kept Lothíriel from laughing aloud—did all the Rohirrim wear their thoughts thus?

“I should have remembered,” Éomer said, “for I know your father well.  If his daughter is half as gracious as he, I shall be in good hands indeed.”  He shot a glare at his sister.

Lothíriel stepped forward and rested her hand on his arm, keeping her eyes low and demure.  “I am not one to judge my own merits, or their lack, my lord.  I can only hope that my company this night is what a king such as you deserves.  I hope I prove worthy of the trust the Lady Éowyn has put in me.”

“She?” said Éomer, still wary.

“She is the one who arranged this match, is she not?”

Éomer visibly relaxed.

Lothíriel suppressed a smile.  Tonight was going to be most diverting!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List