Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Vairë Was a Weaver, or, Real Men Wear Corsets  by Celeritas

“Good evening, little masters,” said Elrohir.  “Is there something we can help you with?”

“Yes,” said Merry.  “I should like to invite the two of you into a minor conspiracy.”

Pippin scoffed.  “Does every one of your clever plans have to be called a conspiracy?”

“Well, it’s better than your clever plans’ names.”

“What does Peregrin call his clever plans?” said Elladan.

“Nothing,” said Merry.  “But afterwards, everyone else calls them disasters.”

“Oi!” said Pippin.  “Enough from you already!  And I’ll be pleased to note that today, at least, has not ended in disaster.”

“Today has not ended,” Elladan said mildly.

Pippin glared at him.

“Come,” said Elrohir.  “If this truly is a conspiracy, I trust that it cannot be spoken of in the open.  Let us visit the Court of the Fountain and discuss it there.”

There, looking out over the City in the light of late day, Merry told the sons of Elrond his concern in the quietest voice he could manage.

“I can’t hear you,” Pippin said loudly.

“We can,” said Elrohir.  “Still, it is unconscionably rude to exclude one of your conspirators, even if the need for secrecy is utmost.”

Thank you, Elladan,” said Pippin.

“Elrohir.”

“Right.”

Merry gave Elrohir a look and spoke a little louder.  “I was just telling the sons of Elrond that Strider hadn’t yet fainted, and since Faramir had, it was quite boorish for him to go along not fainting.”

“I know,” said Pippin.  “I just don’t know how possible it is.  The man did chase me halfway through the city, and he didn’t even look winded when he burnt my decoy.”

“Your decoy?” said Elladan.

“Just something off the desk in his study.”  Pippin shrugged.

“After he smuggled the original out by means of my bum!”

Twin elven stares fixed themselves on Merry.

“Long story,” said Merry.  “That,” he said, “was Pippin’s plan.”

“And this,” said Pippin, “is Merry’s, and I’ve already explained why it won’t work.”

“Not so,” said Elladan.  “Meriadoc was right to come to us, for we have known Aragorn since he was Estel, growing up in Imladris heedless of his true name or destiny.  During that time, we learned a good many things about him—his strengths…”

“And his weaknesses,” said Elrohir.

Merry looked at Pippin smugly.

Each of the twins bent down and whispered something in each hobbit’s ear.  Their eyes widened, and they stared at each other.

“You know,” said Pippin, “that actually might work.”

“Of course, we’ll have to corner him and get him to stay still long enough to remove those ridiculous slippers of his, but after that, things should be quite easy!”  Merry swung a low bow; Pippin jabbed him in the elbows and made sure he watched his curtsey.

“My lords,” said Merry, “we are greatly indebted to you.  If there is anything we can do—”

“The sheer rapture of seeing the King of Gondor and Arnor fainting in a paroxysm of laughter will be payment enough.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List