Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Vairë Was a Weaver, or, Real Men Wear Corsets  by Celeritas

Aragorn had to admit there were limitations to his capacities as a Ranger.  He could not, for example, track priceless hairpins from pre-drowned Beleriand, much less look inconspicuous while doing so.  Things were not improved by the number of people who wanted to speak with—or rail at—him.  Honestly, if a day like this shattered the decorum that the nobles of Minas Tirith were so proud of maintaining, then a good many of its ills would be automatically redressed.  He wished that a requirement of high rank were the ability to laugh at oneself.

He certainly would laugh tomorrow, if he got through today alive.

If he did not find the pin, he had some slight doubts regarding that.

“A little help, beloved,” he murmured to his wife, and Arwen managed to produce a handkerchief from nowhere, and drop it, in one fluid motion.  He frowned—he had never seen her, nor any other elf, for that matter, carry a handkerchief—then bent down to pick it up, making certain to scan all over for the missing hairpin.  He saw a pair of elvish feet—not his wife’s—next to him, and dropped prone.

Arwen bent down and pushed his ankles together.

Ah, came a voice, boring into his mind.  Estel, I am disappointed in you.

Aragorn suppressed a shudder, stood up, and met Galadriel eye to eye.  “Keen are the eyes of the elves,” he said coolly.

“And keener their tempers, still, when someone has trifled with them.”

“Come, dear lady,” said Celeborn, gliding in from nowhere to Aragorn’s relief.  “You know that statement applies in chief to the Noldor.”

“Celeborn.  He lost one of the pins.  The ones you gave me.”

Celeborn turned to Aragorn, looking utterly furious, but his wrath soon turned aside.  “And who let him wear them, all for a granddaughter’s lark?”

Galadriel opened her mouth, then shut it firmly, and (so far as Aragorn could guess), turned to silent discourse with her husband.  The King of Gondor saw his opportunity and bowed to make his exit.  “I will not rest until I have found it,” he said.

“No,” said Galadriel, turning back to him, and the light of the Trees was blazing in her eyes.  “You shall not.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List