Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Vairë Was a Weaver, or, Real Men Wear Corsets  by Celeritas

“I thank the Powers,” said Aragorn, “that the Khandis was not here yesterday.  That is the only way that that could have been made worse.”

“There were some brighter moments, sire,” said Faramir.  He had spoken with Éomer early in the morning.  No one in the Court would touch him (except for Imrahil’s sons, who would only touch him with a blade), and his only comment—after muttering through gritted teeth that yes, Faramir’s honor was satisfied indeed—was that Lothíriel was a deceitful, conniving she-cat whom he wished no man would have the burden of wedding.

They were in the King’s study prior to the meeting, and Faramir was briefing him on those documents that he found which might be useful in dealing with Khand.  They had not changed much from the previous two days.

“What of that decree that the merchant spoke of?” said Aragorn.

“What of it?  I told you I put it on your desk; I assumed you had already seen it.”

“I have not seen it,” said Aragorn.

For a few minutes together, they searched for the missing decree, then Aragorn stopped and looked keenly at the Steward.  “You said that Pippin had met you before you realized he was still fleeing.  Where was that?”

“‘Twas in the Council Room.”

“The paper I burned in the kitchen did not burn like paper,” said Aragorn.

“You destroyed an ancient document from the time of the Kings?”

“A grossly unjust ancient document from the time of the Kings, but yes.”

Faramir frowned.

“I do regret it,” said Aragorn, “but I fail to see how we can rectify the matter now!  What am I to do, tell Master Heledir, ‘Yes, such a document existed until I burnt it, mistaking it for an incriminating sketch of myself in a dress’?”

Faramir sighed.  “I see what you mean.  What were you planning on doing with it?”

“Changing it,” said Aragorn, “with as much politicking as would have been necessary to accomplish it.  Now it seems I do not need to do more than to inform him that if the Archives ever had such a document, it does not have one now.”  He sighed.

“I shall have to speak with Peregrin about this,” said Faramir, shaking his head.  “Records exist for a reason.”

“Later.  For now, we must go to court and assess the full nature of yesterday’s damage to our reputations.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List