Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Revolution  by Laikwalâssę

Revolution

Chapter 2:  to turn my world upside down

 

“Because Ada is missing and the elves came to kill us.”

Abruptly the sobs and struggles stopped and Legolas drew back again to look at his brother in shock.

He searched Galadhion’s eyes intently to determine if his brother was fooling him. Surely Galadhion would not say such terrible things just to annoy him, would he?

“What do you mean Ada is missing?” Legolas whispered, not far from crying now. He had lowered his voice considerably suddenly afraid too that the angry elves would show up again.

His young mind tried desperately to understand what his brother had told him. How could his beloved Ada be missing? Ada could handle everything, why was he not here right now?

Seeing what was going on in the child’s mind Galadhion sighed.

“Legolas I haven’t the time to explain all to you, but evil forces have taken control over the realm. Please don’t ask anymore. I barely have more information.”

Quickly Galadhion looked away, before Legolas searched his eyes again. This was only half of the horrible truth yet he would not frighten his little brother any further.

Before the elfling could ask any more questions he rose, grabbed the small hand and walked toward the door. He lifted Legolas over the broken splinters of the frame and peered along the corridor.

All was silent. Galadhion frowned. At this hour the palace normally bustled with all the noises caused by the elves doing their daily business.

When he was sure that no one was in sight, Galadhion grabbed the small hand tighter and ran down the corridor toward the main entrance.

Legolas was barely able to keep up with his brother’s long strikes. When they passed the door to the throne-room the brothers stopped. Galadhion´s frown deepened. The door to the great room was slightly ajar, something his father never tolerated.

Not releasing his grip Galdhion sneaked closer. Legolas followed easily. The Troop Commander saw Luindil and Galion, two of his father’s advisers and three other elves. Two of them were complete strangers to him, but the third he knew all to well. His stomach knotted as he saw one of them sitting on his father’s throne.

Galadhion looked down at his brother, as he felt the small hand tightened around his own and saw tears silently falling down the elfling’s cheeks. He lifted him up and whispered in his ear.

“We have to go.”

Legolas flung his arms around his neck and his legs around his waist. He buried his face into his shoulder.

Carefully not to make any noise Galadhion stepped backward into a small corridor. At the end there was a seldom used side portal.

Half way down Galadhion stopped and looked back. All was silent. Just when he resumed walking he felt a hand on his shoulder. He took a deep breath and tensed his muscles.

“Peace, Gal. Relax, it’s only me.”

Hearing the familiar voice the crown prince closed his eyes briefly in relief. In the shadow of an alcove stood Sinaht, chief of the home guard and his best friend.

“You scared me to death,” he grunted while Sinaht pulled them further into the alcove.

“I’m sorry, Gal, but you two have to leave the palace immediately. It would not help if they would catch two more members of the royal family.”

Galadhion shot his friend a warning glare while he inclined his head toward his brother but it was already too late.

“Sin, where is Ada? I want to see Ada now!” the elfling demanded. Galadhion was inclined to clamp his hand over the little one’s mouth again. Fortunately the elfling had not raised his voice. Sinaht swallowed after the reproachful look from his friend.

The crown prince sighed and stroked the back of the elfling in his arms comfortingly. “Legolas, listen to me, you must go with Sinaht now.”

Legolas jerked his head up and looked sharply at his brother. His tear streaked face paled. “No!” he whispered. “I will stay with you. I don’t want to go!”

He tightened the hold on his brother.

Over Galadhion’s shoulder he glanced at Sinaht apologetically. The captain was the father of his best friend Elion, but all here was so confusing and he simply wanted to stay with someone of his family.

Galadhion sighed again. He had known that this scene would come. “Legolas listen to me. We are trying to help Ada and therefore I need your help, and you help me best when you do what I say and go with Sinaht now.”

Legolas opened his mouth to protest but then considered his brother’s words. Of course he wanted to help his Ada! He hung his head and nodded. “I will help you.”

Galadhion pressed a kiss to his little brother’s forehead. Quickly he passed Legolas to Sinaht. “Thank you little one. You are very brave. I will look after you soon, I promise.”

Sinaht took the shivering child and wrapped a hand protectively around the little prince’s waist. “I will take good care of him,” Sinaht said and squeezed the arm of his friend comfortingly. The important thing now was to bring the prince to a safe place and out of reach.

Galadhion nodded gratefully and turned abruptly. He did not want to look into his brother’s frightened eyes. Sinaht would do all in his power to protect him. He had no doubt about that.

However before he could walk away Sinaht grabbed his arm. “I hope you know what you are doing, my friend. Please take no chances,” he said barely audible enough for Galadhion to hear.

Galadhion nodded. “I know but I must try to gather as much information as possible and I must find my father,” he whispered back just as softly. Legolas had buried his head into the captain’s shoulder.

Sinaht only nodded. He knew that Galadhion was right but that did not dampen the fear for his friend.

With grim faces, the two friends parted determinedly walking down the corridor into different directions and into different dangers.

 

……………………………………..

Back in the main corridor Galadhion tried to calm his furiously beating heart. He had to find a place to think undisturbed. When he crossed the door to a storeroom he quickly slipped inside. Leaning his forehead against the door he took deep calming breaths. He briefly closed his eyes in a vain hope of clearing his mind.

Many things had to be considered. At least his little brother had left the palace, yet that did nothing to make him relax.

Suddenly and unbidden the memory from the morning when his world had turned upside down assaulted his mind…..

A few hours earlier…..

 

 

Galadhion walked along the corridor that led toward the great hall. It was barely dawn, for him the most beautiful time of the day.

Knowing that his father was an early riser like him, he was already on his way for the daily morning briefing. He wanted to inform the King about the news from the patrols he had received the last evening.

Despite his bright mood he felt a nagging at the back of his mind he could not place. With a slight frown he noticed that, despite the early hour, it was much too quiet. The staff had to be up already but he could make out no noise coming from the kitchen just around the next corner or any of the other workrooms.

Dismissing the feeling with a shrug and assuming that he was just a bit earlier than usual he resumed his way down the long corridor toward the throne-room.

When he rounded the last bend, Thelian, his father’s herald, normally standing outside the great double-doors to question the visitor’s business and announce them to the King rounded the corner and nearly collided with the crown prince.

Just in time Galadhion managed to avoid an impact but the reaction he got from the elf startled him. After realizing with whom he had nearly collided Thelian looked at the crown prince in shock, as if he saw himself confronted with his worst enemy. All blood drained from the herald’s face and he made a wide arc around the son of Thranduil to run down the corridor at full speed.

Galadhion’s frown had changed into full worry. What had gotten in the normally kind and good-natured servant? Surely the near-collision had not evoked such anxiety and outright fear in the elf?

The uneasy feeling from earlier was back in full blow and now Galadhion did feel it clearly. Something was entirely amiss. The song around him had changed to a disharmony he had never experienced in this intensity before.

Quickening his pace he finally rounded the bend and was now a few steps away from the throne-room, when again something disturbing happened. Not only was the door slightly ajar, something to which his father sternly objected; Galadhion heard shouting voices drifting out.

Shouting? In all his many thousand of years he could count on one hand how often he had heard his father shout. The King was a very controlled and self-restrained elf and it took a lot to let him lose his composure.

Yet after stepping closer he realized that it was not the King who did the shouting rather the elves with him. Now Galadhion was at a loss. Who dared to shout at the King? Thanduil would never tolerate such behaviour at court.

And as far as Galadhion had been informed no one was scheduled so early in the morning. These wee hours were reserved for the advisors to inform the King of the last day’s occurrences and gave the ruler time to design his day.

Determinedly Galadhion closed the distance, yet he refrained from actually crossing the threshold. Now he was near enough to fully oversee the room without immediately being seen himself.

It was not the incredulous words that let him clamp his hand over his mouth in shock. Desperately he tried not to make a sound expressing his outrage at the scene he witnessed before him.

 

………………………………………..

The King of Mirkwood looked up from the report he was reading when the door to the throne-room opened. His two advisors, Galion and Luindil entered. He acknowledged their entry with a nod, pleased that they could start the day’s work so early. Many requests and petitions had already filled his schedule.

He raised an eyebrow when the two elves hovered near the door and made no attempt to take their usual seats at the great conference table. What was the meaning of this? He narrowed his eyes however when they did not even meet his eyes. The uneasiness that was rolling in waves from the two elves was nearly palpable.

Slowly Thranduil rose and stepped around his chair. Directing an irritated look at his councillors he tried to determine the reason for their odd behaviour.

Before however he could even demand an explanation the door opened again. Thranduil looked up and inhaled sharply. Instantly he knew the reason for his advisors distress.

In the doorway stood Thoran, a tall, dark haired elf with piercing dark eyes. The expression on his face could only be described as arrogant and challenging. Thranduil let the dismay he felt display on his face, yet he knew he had never made the slightest impression on this elf.

His anger increasing with this new affront the King slowly rounded the table. He made a conscious effort to rein in his temper. Thoran was dangerous. He seized every opportunity to antagonize the King. Yet he was also cunning. He made as much trouble as possible but he never crossed a line, at least not in public and Thranduil had never had a chance to act against him.

Many years ago the troubles had started. Thranduil did not even know where this elf had come from so suddenly. He had appeared in the King’s near vicinity never tiring of making Thranduil´s public life as difficult as possible.

Back then, Thranduil thought that Thoran was only a very ambitious elf and as King, he had to deal with such fellows occasionally. Now he knew that this elf pursued a dangerous goal.

Born Silvan and native to this wood he and his followers didn’t approve of the rule of a Sindar King. This group had existed ever since his father came to the Greenwood, but the few troublemakers had never really caused any distress, indeed had been rejected mildly.

The Silvan elves had ever profited from the rule of Oropher and later Thranduil and therefore no one had ever paid them much heed.

There would always be someone who objected to your leadership and Thranduil thought the same. You could never satisfy all. And therefore he never acted against them, not willing to stir any more resistance and unjust emotions.

Thranduil could clearly remember an argument he had had with Thoran not long ago:  “You claim to protect this forest but you have done nothing but retreat.” Thoran had said.

“You Sindar do not understand this. We Silvan want to protect our forest by staying. You run away and leave the trees and the land to be destroyed by the evil creatures. We will not move anymore.”

However, the actions against the King grew more frequent and bolder, from a few “forgotten” orders to openly rejected advice. Of course Thoran never uttered anything that Thranduil could use to discipline him.

Never could he find any proof that Thoran was conspiring against him. This elf was very clever and cautious and therefore Thranduil had no handle against him, until now.

It was obvious that Thoran was not here to be rejected and this time he didn’t hide his requirements. Thranduil had to admit that he had underestimated this elf and tolerated him much too long when he saw the determination in the other’s eyes.

When the King thought he had seen enough he was mistaken.  A second later the door opened again and three more elves stepped inside. He had never seen them before. Thranduil expression turned furious. Where were the warriors guarding the door? Now a line had been crossed.

“What do you think you are doing? “ Thranduil demanded directing his glare at Thoran. “I’m under the impression that everyone has to ask for permission to enter here, including you and your fellows!” He was not willing to grant Thoran time to react in any way. “Guards!” he cried. This had gone far enough. This had to stop now!

Thoran looked at him unimpressed. “My Lord,” he said with a clearly insulting tone. “I think you misjudge the situation. We no longer ask for permission, we simply ask you to cooperate with us or....“

“Or what?” Thranduil hissed hard pressed to not throw these elves from the room personally. He directed a quick look at the door. What had become of the guards?

“I think you are clever enough to know the answer. This is your last chance.”

The King’s jaw dropped. This was not only a rebellion but a threat to his life. With this, Thoran and his fellows had forfeited their lives already. Yet when Thranduil looked into Thoran’s eyes, he recognized the insane glint in those dark orbs. To gain his goal Thoran would kill without hesitation.

 

 

To be continued……………….

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List