Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Revolution  by Laikwalâssê

Revolution


Chapter 18:  reunion

After several hours the twin sons of Elrond, King Thranduil´s second son Prince Saeron, and Lathron, the southern section commander neared the clearing where the warriors had retreated to regroup.

Lathron had reached the gathering point as fast as the three riders while moving through the trees. Elladan recognized this feat with wonder and not a small amount of envy. Even if they could not allow the horses as much speed as they would have on open land they had made good time, yet the warrior did not have any trouble following, he didn’t even seem to be out of breath.

The twins had once attempted to run along the trees with Saeron and had learned with surprise that the trees formed their branches to create regular paths upon which the wood elves could move without fear of falling.

His brother Elrohir had trusted that the trees would do him the same favour and nearly broke his neck when he tumbled from the branch of a large oak.

‘So much for racing through the trees if you aren’t a wood elf,’ they had thought. Since then the Imladris elves preferred to stay close to the ground or on the back of their horses when moving through the forest.

When they dismounted Lathron was already waiting for them with a raised eyebrow. Elladan ignored the jibe; however before he had finished his thought he felt a blade pressed to his throat.

He froze and even refrained from swallowing. His brother whirled around sensing his distress immediately. Quicker then a mortal eye could have followed Elrohir had notched an arrow to his bow and was now aiming the projectile at the elf threatening Elladan. Saeron had also turned quickly at seeing his friend readying his weapon. Lathron had not moved an inch. He was watching the scene with detachment.

“Galion!” Saeron said calmly, yet with an unmistakable undertone that clearly displayed his irritation. “Lower your weapon, at once!”

The elf addressed as Galion hesitated only for a second, but then he lowered his blade and stepped back. Elrohir followed the elf´s every movement with his bow and unstrung it after Galion had sheathed his dagger.

Elladan did not even look over his shoulder while he directed a displeased gaze at the prince. “Thank you for the friendly welcome,” he muttered while massaging his neck where the blade had left a red mark.

Saeron had stepped past Elladan and was now standing before Galion. “What is the meaning of this? These are the sons of Lord Elrond! You reaction shames us!”

Galion had raised his chin in a defiant gesture but then lowered his eyes. Lathron had stepped behind his prince. Feeling the tension and disapprovement radiating from the King’s son in waves he placed a placating hand on the young elf’s shoulder.

“Please, do not be too harsh with Galion. He has already seen the madness of our opponent.”

When Saeron looked at Lathron questioningly, the section commander indicated this story would be told later. Accepting this for the time being Saeron turned to face the twins. Elrohir had already inspected his brother’s neck but found nothing to worry about.

“I apologise for…..” Saeron begun, but Elladan only waved the apology aside. “Do not worry about it” he muttered, “but please let us enter the clearing before anyone mistakes us for orcs.”

Saeron smiled. Elladan was smart enough to guess that the tension was credited to the unwonted situation. As good a friend as the brothers were with the sons of King Thranduil the wood elves had never made a secret of their dislike of the Noldor.

Yet Saeron had known Elladan for many years and the heir of Lord Elrond was not one to hold a grudge for long. Together with the brothers, and followed by Galion and Lathron, he entered the clearing where their appearance had already attracted attention.

Saeron had no chance to greet the elves rushing toward him before a high pitched cry sounded from above him. He looked up and was hard pressed to catch the elfling jumping into his arms.

“Saeron, you are back,” Legolas cried his eyes sparkling. “We walked all night, but I was not afraid. Gal is here also, yet Ada is not. Where is he, Saeron? Where have you been?”

Only the need for air stopped the flood of words and questions and Saeron had to blink at the disapproving expression on his little brother’s face. Legolas was a perfect copy of his father, even the deep furrow between his eyebrows, always appearing when troubled, resembled Thranduil greatly.

Despite the tension still manifest within the twin brothers they had to smile at the inquisitive elfling. ‘So this is the King’s youngest son,’ Elladan transferred to his brother via mind speech and Elrohir only nodded. They had yet to meet officially.

“Well...,” Saeron begun while directing an imploring gaze at Galadhion, already striding toward them. Legolas would not be easily deterred and Saeron did not know what his older brother had told the boy.

Legolas did not let his brother off the hook. “I had to accomplish a mission for Ada,” Saeron said carefully neutral. “We all want to help, Ada, do we not, little brother?” Contemplating that the answer had only partially satisfied him, Legolas nodded thinly. Elladan had to clear his throat to hide a laugh and Saeron directed a glare at the brothers.

Galadhion had meanwhile reached the group and while Lathron and Galion inclined their heads to pay their respect. Saeron handed Legolas over to the Troop Commander.

“Welcome back, Saeron,” he greeted his brother warmly and squeezed Saeron´s arm in sympathy. “You have achieved your goal and brought support as I see. On behalf of the King I welcome the sons of Elrond to Mirkwood.”

Elladan and Elrohir inclined their heads and Galadhion did not miss the glance exchanged between his brother and the twins. There was a story to be told and he would not miss hearing it.

“Come join us at the fire,” Galadhion said while pointing to the middle of the clearing where a respectable fire was burning. “I’ll be with you shortly to exchange news.”

Galadhion set Legolas on his feet and encouraged the boy to run ahead before he turned and gave some orders to Lathron and Galion. Saeron and the twins followed the elfling already calling them to sit next to him on the logs arranged around the fire.

As soon as Elrohir was sitting down the elfling scrambled into his lap and gazed intently at the stranger. “Hello, I’m Legolas. Are you a friend of my brother Saeron?” he asked with the same earnest face he had used earlier on his brother.

Elrohir raised an eyebrow. This one had a strong will and was a son of the King and no mistake. “Yes, little one, my brother and I are friends to your brothers. We are here to help them.”

With a critical eye the elfling observed the elf sitting next to the one whose lap he was occupying. This one had a strangely similar appearance. But before he could ask why his Ada should be in need of any help he was lifted out of the lap by Isiwen, the mother of his friend Elion.

“Come, sweetling, I’ve baked some cakes for you children. You surely want some, do you not?” she asked while setting the elfling back on his feet.

Only hesitating briefly Legolas nodded and jumping out of her arms; raced toward the other children already indulging in the sweets. Saeron mouthed a ‘thank you’ toward Isiwen and smiled until his brother was out of earshot.

After Galadhion had come over and taken a seat beside his brother he looked thoughtfully at the twins. “I’d not expected to see you here in Mirkwood, but I’m grateful for your coming and that you have accompanied my brother back,” he began while he handed cups of tea around.

Elladan and Elrohir accepted the hot beverage with a thankful nod while Saeron declined, his gaze not leaving the ground around his feet. Galadhion frowned. Since their arrival Saeron had avoided his eyes. With an inquiring gaze the Troop Commander looked at Elladan and the older twin steeled himself. Now the story how Saeron had arrived at Imladris and how the initial unfortunate negotiations had started had to be told.

Galadhion was not one to be fooled easily and so his question was right to the point and as always sharp minded. “Is there anything I should know, little brother?” he said in a much too sweet voice although even Elladan cringed at the steel in the words. Saeron bristled at the tone but was smart enough to not rile Galadhion any further.

Elladan knew about the sometimes strained relationship between the brothers; it was not easy to have an older brother who was not only heir to the throne but also your commanding officer. The pointed reminder that he was the younger did nothing to let Saeron relax.

When the silence between the elves begun to stretch uncomfortably Elrohir cleared his throat and looked straight at the Troop Commander. “My Lord, Prince Saeron arrived at Imladris six weeks ago and brought my father word of the unfortunate events here in Mirkwood!”

Galadhion’s head snapped up at the formal tone and he realized at once that his harsh words were perhaps inappropriate. After all, Saeron had risked his life to bring help to the much pressed elves in Mirkwood and the presence of the twins was testimony that his mission had been successful.

Directing his gaze at his brother Galadhion waited until Saeron had raised his eyes. “Saeron, I’m sorry, my words were spoken in haste. Please accept my apology.”

When Saeron only nodded, Galadhion redirected his gaze at the twins. “Please continue, I’m eager to learn what my brother achieved and what we can expect from your presence here.”

As was their wont Elladan took the lead after an approving nod from Saeron. Galadhion did not interrupt Elladan’s tale a single time, rather he listened attentively. However his shock at the information that his brother had nearly died before reaching Imladris and the dismay over the tedious negotiations with the other elven realms was plain to see on his face.

However when Elladan had ended he let out a breath and looked approvingly at Saeron. “You did well brother and I assure you that the two elves that tried to kill you will answer for their crime.”

Saeron nodded. “One of them might already be dead, Arroch kicked him hard. The other may have returned after I escaped.” Galadhion took a deep breath. As much as he wanted to punish the elves that had tried to kill his brother he had to refrain from doing so at least for the time being. They had much more pressing matters calling for their attention.

After the full tale had been told Galadhion begun to inform his brother and the twins what had happened meanwhile in the King’s realm. Saeron could hardly fight down his anger when he learned that they still had no contract with his father. The report about the elves that had been murdered by the great spiders through the treachery of Thoran made him gasp incredulously. But he sprang up enraged when Galdhion told them about the failed attack against the palace due to the vile act of Thoran using elflings as hostages.

When Saeron had calmed down, Elladan looked at the Troop Commander, with a troubled expression on his face. “The situation is complex and this Thoran is more dangerous than we expected. He’s unpredictable and has moved far away from any acceptable behaviour. We will not achieve anything with reasonable arguments, I fear.”

Galadhion nodded sadly. Yes, Elladan and he had come to the same conclusion. Thoran had to be removed by any means necessary. The point of no return was long past.

Seeing the frown on Elrohir’s face Galadhion raised his eyebrow to encourage the younger twin to share his thoughts.

“As much as the situation here is unclear and in need of investigation, I do not see how we would achieve a victory by increasing the number of warriors that you already have. I don’t see how Imladris can help by sending more warriors.”

Galadhion did not blink when he answered. “You are right, Elrohir. We can only beat Thoran with cunning and by using his own weapons against him. Yet we have another problem.”

As if on cue a sentry came running into the clearing. He rushed straight toward Galadhion, acting unaware of the Troop Commander’s guests. He made a hasty bow and did not wait to be given permission to speak.

“My Lord, I’m coming directly from the southern border. Orcs are massing there. We do not know when they will strike but when they do and all is indicating that it will be soon then the settlements still occupied, will be lost.”

Galadhion had slowly risen as had the twins. He directed a pained gaze at the brothers. “When taking command Thoran had ordered all warriors guarding the southern borders to retreat. He is convinced that when we no longer fight against Sauron he will stop his advances and ignore the settlements. Thoran is of the opinion that Sauron will stay at Dol Guldûr when he is no longer provoked.”

“That’s ridiculous,” Elrohir cried. “Sauron will seize the opportunity immediately.”

Galadhion nodded. “Yes, and the settlers, who have still not followed my father’s orders to retreat, will have no means to repel an attack. Although many warriors have not followed Thoran’s command, enough have left the South that now too few remain to stand against a large band of orcs. The settlements will be lost anyway.”

Elladan had placed a sympathetic hand on his friend’s arm. “I understand your predicament, Galadhion but I’m not entirely sure what you expect from us. How can we help you with this?”

Galadhion looked from on twin to the other. “As you said before; Thoran we cannot defeat with greater numbers, but with the orcs we need as many warriors as possible to strengthen the group that is still remaining there and fighting for their rightful King!”

Elladan and Elrohir nodded simultaneously. “We will send a messenger bird to Imladris. Father will send the warriors on their way within two days.”

Galadhion heaved a deep breath. “They will be late anyway.”

 

To be continued…………………….

 

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List