Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Revolution  by Laikwalâssę

Revolution

 
 

Chapter 28:  celebrations and commendations

Less than fifteen minutes after the trial the King entered the chamber next to the great throne room. A smaller version of the audience chamber and more comfortable, it was used to welcome and entertain guests.

Galadhion inclined his head in a silent salute, wondering how his father had managed to make himself presentable in such a short span of time. He and his brother were still wearing the formal robes they had worn at the trial, but seeing that his father had changed into more comfortable but still elegant and imposing clothing, he resolved to do the same at his next opportunity.

Thranduil did not need wrappings of brocade and silk or even a crown to show that he was the elf in charge of ruling the great forest kingdom. Glorfindel nudged his fellow warrior and Celeborn raised an eyebrow but bestowed an open smile directed towards the advancing King.

Thranduil returned the smile and greeted both elves first with a warriors greeting, and following that by stepping back and bowing before both Elf-lords. This produced many surprised looks among the other guests in the room. Upon the King’s beckoning the twin sons of Elrond joined the group and the King raised a glass that Saeron had quickly thrust into his hand.

When the room had quieted Thranduil’s face became sober. He thought quickly about what he wanted to thank the four elves from the other realms for.

The sons of Lord Elrond had accompanied his son Saeron. They had supported him during his long stay at Imladris and accompanied him as he returned to his home forest. They had supported his warriors by making strategic plans, taking into account how to best use the available resources. They had joined the fight with Galadhion in the south, repelling the orcs who were invading and attacking the southern settlements.

Thranduil still shuddered as he recalled the moment when Elladan had told him in what dire state Saeron had arrived at the border of the hidden valley and how his Lord father, Elrond, had laboured to achieve the recovery of his second son. The half-elven Lord had then made plans about how to support the hard-pressed elves of Mirkwood and had even sent his own warriors, following his words with action.

Lord Glorfindel had led the warriors over the mountains. Thranduil flicked his eyes briefly to the tall elf standing next to the twin brothers. At the shores of the Anduin the renowned warrior had joined his group with warriors from the Golden Wood. This led his thoughts to the fourth elf he was unsure about how t o thank properly. How could he show how much he appreciated their help?

Thranduil knew perfectly well that he owed his rule and his quite possibly his life to the unconventional help these elves had given. Without their reinforcement the group around Galadhion would have been lost, his son dead, and the south overrun.

In fact the outcome would have been much worse if not for the help from outside. But Thranduil would have never considered such a concept before. For his entire life he had laboured alone, not accepting help or even asking for it. Even in this situation he was not sure if he would have done as his sons had and called for help.

He frowned and tried to investigate his feelings. Was he too proud to call for help, or did he simply not expect someone being willing to help? All of the elven realms were hard pressed in their battles against the enemy and had few resources to spare, yet even under those conditions, they had not hesitated to come to his aid. Maybe he had to change his attitude about his fellow elves and expand his focus.

Seeing a knowing smile on Celeborn’s face Thranduil took a deep breath and focused his thoughts back to the present moment.

“My Lords,” he said while looking at each elf in turn. “On behalf of the people of Lasgalen and in my own name I thank you for your coming here, supporting the realm’s warriors and risking your lives to help achieve the removal of an elf who had brought so much sorrow to our forest. I can only express my gratitude and hope that one day I will be able to repay the debt.”

With the last word spoken the King bowed toward the four elves again and saluted each one. The visitors were each handed a glass of wine while a loud cheer arouse, delaying the elves from saying anything in response.

When the applause had died down, Celeborn stepped forward and placed a hand on the King’s shoulder. Both elves were nearly of the same height.

“Our help was given gladly, cousin. I think I’m speaking for all of us when I say that we are happy that this whole episode turned out well in the end, although there are too many dead to mourn.”

To this Thranduil could only nod in agreement and he quickly took a deep swallow to hide the lump rising in his throat. Apart from all the hardship he had endured he was lucky that his all three of his sons had survived. Many of the elves surrounding him had suffered in one way or the other, several experiencing the worst case, a dead family member to mourn.

It would still need many weeks if not month to remove all of the imprints Thoran had left, both the visible ones and the invisible. While taking another sip Thranduil again looked covertly at his sons. Galadhion was laughing at a joke a fellow elf had made and he seemed almost back to normal. Quickly Thranduil enabled his bond with his son and was pleased to find it strong and vibrant. Yet the imprint of Galadhion’s near death experience was still clear for him to see.

Still engaged Galadhion did not notice the gaze. Not so Saeron. Thranduil had also reached out to his second son and Saeron had instantly jerked his head in his direction, causing the father and son to look at one another. Thranduil felt the still healing fea of his son as well as some lingering turmoil. His son’s mind would also need some time to settle down again and to come to terms with what had happened.

Thranduil knew exactly why Saeron looked so irritated. Although he was using his connection with his children to ascertain their well being, he was not willing to grant them the same favour. He was blocking the bond for their reverse scrying. He was still not sure how he felt about the entire experience and before he had found an acceptable way to cope with the shock, he would not let anyone glimpse his soul, not even his own sons.

Saeron quickly raised an annoyed eyebrow but he was too used to his father’s attitude to be truly annoyed. The King would open up eventually but he would choose the moment. Saeron had to be content with that. But he would keep an eye on his father. Thranduil was strong but even he had his limits and Saeron wanted to be there if his father needed an open ear. Saeron knew that this was highly unlikely, yet he would be there nonetheless.

The only person to whom Thranduil had opened up in the past was their mother. She had never told him of such an occasion of course, but Saeron had once witnessed such a situation accidentally and was grateful that at least one elf had been able to break open the hard exterior core of the self-restrained elf.

When Saeron was addressed and no longer gazed at his father Thranduil extended his senses to his youngest son. Legolas was with his nurse right now, considered still too young to attend such functions. Thranduil did his examination of his son’s fea very carefully; he had learned that the boy was very sensitive and observant.

To his relief the elfling was distracted and unaware of his scrutiny, yet the King felt clearly the turmoil in his young heart. The nightly terrors he endured showed clearly how much the child had suffered and that his confidence in his world had been shattered. He would need time to set the mind of this child at ease again.

Thranduil shook his head and directed his thoughts back to his guests. After a while when many well-wishes and thanks had been given and received the King climbed onto a dais and instantly the gathered elves quieted and looked expectantly at their fair haired ruler.

Considering his words briefly Thranduil let his gaze wander over the assembled elves. He had asked Galadhion to invite as many warriors as possible. He wanted to address them openly and thank them for their resolution against Thoran. Their decision to remove themselves from Thoran’s grasp, denying him their allegiance, had in fact brought about the downfall of the usurper.

Makeshift groups were still struggling to establish a more or less routine schedule safeguarding the borders. It was high time to renew the well organized patrols and Galadhion had promised to do just this during the next morning.

Many of the Imladris warriors and the elves from the Golden Wood had volunteered to stay as long as necessary until some kind of order had returned to the great forest.

When Thranduil raised his hand the room fell deadly silent. “Today I want to thank all the warriors in my service, especially those who have with caution, courage and loyalty shown their respect to their service and to their King. I am sure this was not done on a whim and took much consideration. Your decision also exposed you to danger. I’m grateful to have elves in my service ready to fight for what is right. I can never reward you appropriately; I can only express my heartfelt thanks and admiration for your actions. I will never forget what you did and will ever be in your debt!”

With this statement Thranduil bowed low before the assembled elves causing many of the warriors to stare at him bashfully or in bewilderment. As one, Galadhion and Saeron along with all the warriors raised their fists to their hearts and also bowed low toward their King.

Not only was the King hard pressed to swallow the lump rising in his throat. Celeborn and Glorfindel looked at one another and silently agreed that this King was indeed lucky to have such elves under his command. The brothers from Imladris looked equally relieved and had bowed along with the warriors from the Hidden Valley and the Golden Wood. This open display of loyalty was balm to the King’s raw fea.

When the King had stepped down from the dais the highly emotional atmosphere lasted until Galadhion motioned for the minstrels to play a soft but happy tune. The tense faces then relaxed and wine was poured into uncounted glasses.

The King visibly relaxed and Galadhion was glad that a least for a few moments his father was able to forget the last weeks. Everyday life would catch up with them soon enough.

However, half an hour later the celebrants were interrupted when the door to the hall banged open and Sinaht, the captain of the Home guard, hurried into the chamber. He had been unable to attend because he was leading many families who had fled into the forest back to their homes. When he had spotted his King he bowed deeply and reported in a hurried, yet low voice.

“My Lord King! Thoran has escaped and he has taken Prince Legolas with him!”

 

To be continued……………………..





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List