Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Till We Have Faces  by Antane

Chapter Fifteen


Boromir stood and waded out a little further and stared across the vast water while Frodo stood behind him on the shore. After a long while, he turned back and looked at his small friend. “Why is there no return? Surely there are boats on this island?”

“There are no boats that can take us where our hearts long to be,” Frodo said. “There is no way back.”

Boromir walked back to the shore and continued to gaze eastward. “I do not understand. If we came by boat, why cannot we go back the same way?”

“From the lore I have read from Bilbo, the world was changed as Numenor fell. Sauron fed the pride and fear of its last king to the point that he dared to come where was forbidden. His land and his life was destroyed with all his followers. This land where we must now make our home was forever sundered from the world we knew.”

“And Elendil, Isildur, Anarion and others of the Faithful escaped to Middle-earth,” Boromir said softly. “I remember my father making sure my brother and I knew our history. But it was all so long ago. I was proud of my line and what we had accomplished and how we have stood against the Nameless Enemy even to this day. But Faramir was much more interested in the lore than I. They were ancient ghosts to me, though my brother did teach me some reverence for them. I longed to be out on the field practicing how I would battle the Nameless as well as they had. But Faramir desired to learn more of them and battle in his own way. For him, these great figures still lived and were present to him. Even with Isildur’s Bane and heir beside me, I did not think in such a way myself. But now...now... It is a bitter price to pay for an ancient folly to trap us here.”

Frodo took Boromir’s hand as fresh tears flowed from the man. “I’m so sorry, Boromir. Bilbo and I made the choice to come here, but you did not. We knew what sacrifices we had to make to accept a gift beyond price, but it was far more painful for me than for him and now more torment for you than me. Even though you were not given the same freedom to decide, there must be some great purpose for the Powers to give you the same gift they gave us. It was not lightly given. Bilbo was ready to leave Middle-earth and he will not last long here. I wished I could have stayed forever with my Sam and my brother-cousins and let the Shire slowly heal my wounds. But Queen Arwen saw rightly that I would need more, and as I have come to understand, so did Lady Galadriel as far back as our time in Lorien. So I must reach for the rose they gave to me, though I must reach for it through thorns. I am bleeding so badly. This is the only place that I can hope to staunch the flow.”

Boromir grasped Frodo’s hand tighter. “Then we will bleed together.”

Frodo was silent for a while before he spoke again. “I thought myself dead to Middle-earth before Sam and I woke again in Ithilien. You thought yourself dead and have now awakened as well. There is a reason we were all spared. For Sam, it was to live and flourish again in the Shire. For us, it was to live here. I am glad you are with me.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List