Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Till We Have Faces  by Antane

Boromir found Frodo sitting by the Sea, the water lapping at the Ring-bearer’s feet. The hobbit looked up as the man sat down near him. “You were already gone when I woke,” the warrior said.

“I wanted to be nearer to Sam and my other brothers today. Perhaps it will give me strength to face the dark place I will go to later.”

“Will you let me come?”

“That would be most kind of you. I do not wish to be alone.”

“Where to?”

“The Tower of Cirith Ungol.”

“You continue to amaze me, little brother.”

“It is Sam who is the marvel, not I. After the spider struck me down, the Orcs carried me in senseless. They placed in the uppermost room and there I woke. Sam came in to find me. He challenged the dreadful Watchers at the gate, faced down his terror and searched for me alone for hours in the Orc-infested place. He found me and searched for clothing for me after the Orcs took everything from me and then led me out. There is no one with greater courage than he.”

“I’m sure he thinks the same of you.”

Frodo smiled faintly. “He does. We’ve had several arguments over it. I can’t convince him of what a hero he is and he can’t convince me. I know I am not. When Aragorn wished to celebrate us by making statues, I wanted none of me but I wanted one of Sam. He didn’t want one but wanted to make sure I had one. We compromised by having one made of him carrying me. That way I achieved my desire to have everyone know how great he was and he got one showing me. I don’t know if he will ever realize what a wonder he is. I could not have done what I did without him and Smeagol. Now I have neither, but at the least I know Sam is happy with his Rose and their ever-growing family.”

Boromir looked at Frodo. “Will you ever realize how great you are, little brother?”

Frodo did not look away from his gaze over the Sea. “I am only a broken hobbit trying to find my way back to wholeness and away from madness. It is a harder journey than the one to Mordor. I am glad I am not alone anymore now than I was then.”

Frodo stared over the Sea for several more minutes, then reached for his writing board and stylus. “I do not want to go back to the Tower, but I must in order to go forward. As Sam said, it’s the job that doesn’t get started that takes longest to finish.”

“He is wise.”

“The wisest hobbit who ever lived. The Shire is in good hands. I wish I could have stayed.”

“Just as I wish I could have returned to Gondor, but as you have said, there is a reason we are here.”

“Yes and I will not have Sam disappointed that I have not healed by the time he comes. Won’t he be surprised to see you!”

“You know he will come?”

“No, but the Powers will allow it, if he so desires it. And I know he will after his time in the Middle-earth draws to a close. If I did not feel that in my heart, I could not bear this exile or have the strength to seek healing. I am doing this for him and for Bilbo. I want them to see me happy again. And to come back to the Light, I know I must pass through the darkness that still surrounds me. Sam carried me up the Mountain that I am still atop, but it will be the Lady and your aid that will bring me down.”

“Because you will it. Do not forget your own choices here, my heroic friend.”

“I am not...”

Boromir squeezed Frodo’s hand. “Please, little brother, do not say you are not a hero. I have been in many a battle. I have seen many heroes among those under my command, from those who have thrown themselves in peril to save the lives of their companions or even strangers to those who have battled silently against the servants of the Nameless. I know what a hero is.”

“I do not feel heroic.”

“True heroes never do. What you did for all of us is beyond what only the greatest could and you did it despite the terrible attack you were under. I could not withstand it.”

“Nor could I at the end.”

“Gandalf warned me about the legendary Baggins stubborness.”

“Gamgee is worse.”

“Use them both then to get through your darkness as it got you to the Mountain. There is a way back, little brother. You would not have been brought you to find it if it did not exist.”

“Sam felt the way home was past the Mountain, the one place I cannot get past. And I have not even come to it yet, not again.”

“But you will. And I will stand by you.”

“Let us enter the Tower together then. We must get past that dark hour if we are to see the dawn.”


A/N: The argument over the statues is in my story “Memorial Day.” Frodo and Sam continued to argue that other was the greater hero, in several other stories, including one even after death (“A Seat Among Them”). 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List