Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Till We Have Faces  by Antane

Months passed and Frodo spent much of it with Bilbo. Though they did not speak of it, the younger Baggins sensed his uncle’s time was short. The joy they had in each other’s company was enough though to keep at bay whatever fear and grief Frodo felt. The time came to celebrate another shared birthday, and they spent much time alone planning it down to the last detail. Both knew it would be Bilbo’s last. Many of their other adventures had started on or around that time, but the ancient hobbit refused to begin his last one at the same time. He did not want that to overshadow what should be a joyous celebration of birth.

“In fact,” Bilbo told Boromir conspiratorially, “this party will be one of special magnificence never before seen in the Shire or out of it. Have you ever been to a hobbit birthday party before? I suppose you have not.”

Boromir smiled. “No, but Pippin and Merry told me enough to make me think I had.”

“Well, then, my boy, you are in for an extraordinary treat, for we have also invited the Elves to come to this one.”

The day came, brighter and more beautiful than it ever had, even in the sun-blessed Shire. Besides the hobbits themselves, Gandalf was the only one who had attended Bilbo’s eleventh-first, but this outdid it by a long bit. It poured even more food and rained even more drink. The fireworks were even more spectacular. Even the grave and somber Elrond laughed and the other Elves were more merry than they had been since Bilbo encountered them on his first adventure. The hobbits were most gracious hosts and gave out presents to each of their guests.

Boromir received a pipe and a bag of pipeweed. “It’s the last bit of Old Toby,” Frodo said. “Gandalf told me he was keeping it for this party. Would you smoke some with us?”

"Have you smoked before?" Bilbo asked.

“Yes, once," Boromir said. "Pippin and Merry were determined to turn everyone in the Company into a hobbit that was not already one, so they instructed me on this. It is not an art we practice in Gondor, though I think my brother would have enjoyed it.”

Frodo smiled. “Faramir did enjoy it, for my cousins were not amiss in trying to change him into a hobbit either.”

“That is well. He was much closer to your kind already than I and would have enjoyed it.”

Boromir joined Gandalf, Elrond, Bilbo, and Frodo in enjoying the pipes. All took joy that the younger Baggins was back to his old self. That he smoked was the final sign Bilbo needed that his heartson had fully healed, for he knew Frodo had not smoked since the Eagles had brought him and Sam out of the Fire. With the memory of smoke now bringing back contentment and joy instead of fear and sorrow, the ancient hobbit knew it was time to go.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List