Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Thirty Drabbles Hath November 2011  by Rhyselle

Nov 6:  Readiness (T.A. 2885, The Halifirien)

 By Bernadette Crumb (aka Rhyselle)



“Carefully, lads.  That’s it. Leave a hand-span between them.”


Framléod  shook his grizzled head as the men heaved the logs into place.  “All right, now the next layer—no, boy!  Lay them across the others, not like a mess of jack-straws!”


“What’s it matter, Grandad?” the youngest protested. “It’s not like it’s going to be used again.  The war’s over!”


“This family’s manned the beacon on Halifirien for nigh on  five generations, Fastred, and we’re not going to be the ones to break the chain when Gondor calls for help. No matter how long it is until it’s lit again!”

A/N:  Prompt:  The beacons by Hayley Mosteller from the ALEP2: TABA group on Facebook.  In the Third Age, Gondor called on Rohan’s aid when they went to war against the Haradrim.  Rohan answered the call, and sacrificed the lives of Folcred and Fastred, the twin sons and heirs of Folcwine-King (Theoden-King’s great grandfather) at the Battle of the Crossing of Poros.  Tolkien never specifically said that the beacons were used for this particular conflict, so I’m taking artistic liberty to set my scene at that time and place.






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List