Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Thirty Drabbles Hath November 2011  by Rhyselle

Nov 14:  Lamentable Tidings (4th Age 69*)

And so it was upon a drear day when the remnants of autumn flirted with winter, a messenger handed over the dispatch case bearing the King’s sigil, which Thain Faramir Took received with a sense of forboding.  He discovered not one, but three letters inside; two addressed to him, and the third addressed to his cousin, the Master of Buckland.  He knew that he should have read the letter from the King first, but his name written in the familiar, still-messy, hand of his father claimed a son’s attention.

My dearest son,

Merry died this morning, peacefully, in his sleep…

A/N:  Prompt:  “And so it was” from Grey Wizard at ALEP2: TABA group on Facebook.  Dedicated to the memory of my friend, Christopher Croughton, who was killed last week in a head-on collision road accident in England.  May you find peace beyond the circles of the world.


* The Tale of Years does not give a specific death date for Meriodoc Brandybuck; only stating that he died sometime after 4th Age 63, which was when he was known to have been in Rohan before Eomer-King died, and that he lived his remaining years in Minas Tirith before being laid to rest in the Rath Dinen among the great of Gondor.  The date I’ve given this drabble was selected arbitrarily to allow Merry a handful of good years with Elessar, Arwen, and their children, before falling into his final sleep. Pippin, in my imagination, lives, perhaps, another decade before joining Merry.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List