Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Back to Middle Earth BINGO  by Dreamflower

  B2MeM Challenge: Art Supplies—N-43, carving
Format: double drabble (200 words)
Title: Payback
Genre: fluff
Rating: G
Warnings: N /A
Characters: Merry, Saradoc Brandybuck
Pairings: N/A
Summary: Saradoc makes a farewell gift for little Merry before he makes a visit to Bag End.

Payback



"What are you making, Da?" Merry asked, watching as his father whittled on a small stick of wood.

Saradoc looked up with a smile. "What do you think it might be, Merry?" He returned to his work, his knife making little curls of shavings.

The eight-year-old watched with a serious expression for a moment. "It's too small to be a walking stick."

"Yes, it is."

"It's not quite big enough around to be a top." Merry frowned in concentration.

"That's true."

"Is it going to be a wooden hobbit?" Merry asked hopefully.

"What do you think?"

"Well, not with those holes you are making…" Merry leaned in closely, and Saradoc stopped carving, lest he nick his son's nose.

Suddenly he grinned. "It's a whistle!"

"Yes, it is, Merry. I thought you might like to take it on your visit to Bag End tomorrow. I should have it finished by the time you and Frodo leave for there in the morning!"

Merry whooped. "THANK you, Da!" He ran off to tell Frodo of his coming gift.

Saradoc chuckled. "Thank YOU, son!" His eyes twinkled. He'd be avenged for Bilbo's gift to Frodo of that rather shrill flute a few years ago…





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List