Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

B2MeM 2012: A Spirit in Shadows  by Mirach

11. Palantír: Loss

But Sauron was not prepared to let go of the thought on the Ring. Not yet…

-oOo-

The cold passed reluctantly from the earth, and the retiring fogs revealed an army stretched out on the hills, resting. The battle of the Last Alliance began…

-oOo-

Isildur stood above the body of his father. Gil-Galad lay nearby in the pool of his own blood, his silver plate mail buckled and smeared with blood. A star, fallen into darkness. Aeglos shattered. Narsil broken. A black mace has smitten both. And Isildur stood alone. A small, desperate figure facing the Dark Lord.

A star rose from darkness - a lonely ray of light reflected in the shard of Narsil, as Isildur lifted it - despair, grief and anger in his face.

A ring of fire fell to the ground and the darkness dispersed.

-oOo-

The feeling of intrusion, violation. Never before did he know a feeling so shaking his very core as when Isildur put on the Ring. His Ring. It was a part of him, his power, and now someone else was wearing it.

Aragorn could feel his pain and confusion as the thought of his own Ring betrayed him, and finally he let go of it, retreating a little, but still fighting to not be pushed out of the palantír completely.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List