Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

B2MeM 2012: A Spirit in Shadows  by Mirach

24. Palantír: Meduseld

The first person he saw when arriving to Meduseld was a woman. She sat near the fire in the middle of the room. Her clothes were simple, but made with great care, and the brooch adorning her cloak was the work of a master of his craft. There was an air of silent grace and strength around her - if she would be born in the body of a man, she would become a great warrior.

He bowed to her in gondorian manner, and she gave him a long, piercing look.

He did not awert his eyes, and she lifted her chin. "Welcome to the Golden Hall of the Kings of Rohan, stranger. What brings you here?"

"My name is Thorongil, my lady. I came looking for a place where my sword could be put to good use," he said in broken Rohirric.

"You are in such a place, Thorongil," she answered in fluent Westron. "I am Morwen, the King's wife. Have you ever served in cavalry?"


Years later, when he entered that hall again, it seemed both foreign and familiar to him. He noticed the look of a woman, watching him from the shadows behind the king's throne. Her eyes were of piercing sky-blue, and an air of strength and grace was around her. For a moment he thought he is seeing Morwen Steelsheen again, as she was in her youth. So Aragorn met Éowyn, the granddaughter of Morwen, the Shieldmaiden of Rohan.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List