Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

B2MeM 2012: A Spirit in Shadows  by Mirach

36. Tapestries: Ice Skating

The mallorn leaves were just turning gold. Galadriel was looking out of their talan, and sighed slightly.

Knowing his wife, Celeborn approached her. "Is something amiss?" he asked quietly.

She gave him a small smile. "Oh no, nothing…" she paused. "Just… there is no real winter in Lórien…"

Celeborn raised his eyebrows in surprise. "But it's you who made it so…"

"Yes, I know," she chuckled. " I just remembered Helcaraxë."

"Uh… Helcaraxë? As in… 'the desperate crossing in hardihood and woe'?" Celeborn couldn't help himself but sound somehow sceptical.

"Well… sometimes it was fun."

"Fun?"

"Yes. Like that time when Finrod carved two seal bones, and bound them to his feet…" she chuckled at the memory."

"He did what?"

"Caught a seal. We could only hunt and fish, as there were no plants to gather fruits from…"

"After that."

Galadriel smiled at the memory of Finrod in his lavender tunic, complaining that Maglor couldn't see him now and be envious. "He ran on them across the ice. Ice skating, he called it."

"Ice skating." Celeborn repeated, not sure what he should imagine. "Did you try it as well?"

"Of course I did," Galadriel smirked. "Who else would show Finrod the pirouettes?"


He smiled and stepped further, curious what more he can find. But in the moment he stepped away, he forgot the scene depicted in the first tapestry – the next one was all that he had attention for. He almost did not realize he is not the only one who is looking at it…





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List