Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

B2MeM 2012: A Spirit in Shadows  by Mirach

42. Tapestries: Darling, can I keep it?

Goldberry discovered the door a little while after they moved into the house Tom build - no, sang - for them. When she first saw him, she did not take him too seriously, but slowly, inconspicuously, love grew between them and one day she realized she cannot be without him anymore. He sang a house for them, cosy and homely. Now the air smelled of rain when she danced out of the door - it just rained and the sky was blue and wet like fresh laundry. The pebbled path led through the garden, and as she followed it, she discovered a narrow door into the side of the hill.

When she approached it, she felt a strange cold emanating from there, and shivered slightly. But all cold was driven away by Tom Bombadil's song, and he was coming from behind the house with long strides, his song echoing into the distance and making the forest resonate with it.

"Hey-ho, my darling! Do not open the door! It's not for your pretty eyes!"

She gave him a stern look. "What's behind the door?"

"Um…" Tom actually blushed. "A Barrow-Wight…"

"A Barrow-Wight?"

"I drove him out of his barrow, and it seems he found a place to hide in our cellar…"

"Then drive him out of there as well! I don't want any such creatures in my house or cellar, is that understood?"

"Yes my darling…"

"Good." She turned and went back to the house. "I'd just make more tea."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List