Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

B2MeM 2012: A Spirit in Shadows  by Mirach

45. The Fountain

Suddenly he came to a crossing of corridors. There was a fountain, and a beautiful stone carving of the Valar upon it, with Manwë and Varda on the top, the water streaming from their connected hands.

He stopped to admire the statue of Oromë and his steed Nahar. It was an impressive statue, and Aragorn didn't wonder that the Wainriders feared this Vala more than anything. At his side was his spouse Vána the Ever-young, and she had the grace of a cat around her, of a panther or tiger.

His look returned to the statue of Oromë, though. He was looking at the Hunter as he appeared ages ago, when Arda was young, and he rode freely under the stars. He saw him as the awakened Elves saw him, in the dark times when Melkor created the first Orcs in his dungeons, and Urug was a word for anything that the Firstborn Children of Ilúvatar were afraid of: a dubious shape or shadow, or prowling creature. In such a time, Oromë found them, riding on his steed Nahar.

The Vala dressed in furs reminded him on the Beornings, and he wondered if they have ever met, and what's the origin of the skinchangers' line. And in the next moment, he wondered how does he know the Beornings, and if it could be a trace to his own name, but it still evaded him.

Nienna was depicted near the foot of the fountain, kneeling. She looked so real that he wanted to touch the marble eyes to assure they are not wet with tears.

Then he smiled at the depiction of Yavanna, for again there was something familiar about it: he recognized the one at her side. It was Treebeard, Fangorn, the Shepard of Trees, and beside him stood another Ent, and her form suggested it was an Entwife - Fimbrethil, Fangorn's beloved, the statue on the fountain the only way how they could be together now. The long fingers of Fangorn's hand were wrapped around a rock, and he was reminded on the force that destroyed Isengard. The memory seemed so close… He knew he has been in Isengard, and he knew he has seen it destroyed. What was he doing there, though, he could not grasp.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List