Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Dreamflower's Mathoms III  by Dreamflower

 Linda Hoyland issued a challenge: http://lindahoyland.livejournal.com/851464.html?style=mine#comments
So here is my response!
  
Wall
Cat
Bear
hungry
sunset
window

An Afternoon with Strawberry

It was a pleasant late afternoon, the rock wall on which Strawberry lay was warm and she was stretched out to her full length basking in the early summer sun. She was beginning to feel the least bit hungry, but not hungry enough to move from her prime spot.

"Good evening, Strawberry. You look like a very contented cat. Can you bear my company?" She opened her eyes to see her person standing beside her. He placed a soft hand on her head and she butted it firmly, letting him know she welcomed his attentions. He began to stroke her, and she purred loudly. He gave her a smile and she looked into his eyes and blinked slowly to show her affection. He boosted himself atop the wall, and she stirred herself to allow him to hold her.

Climbing onto his thighs, she kneaded them thoroughly, and then lay atop one of his arms--the one with a missing claw on its paw. With his other one he began to pet her again. Together they watched the sunset, until the stars appeared and light shone through the window behind them.

They were content, enjoying one another's company, until they heard footsteps coming. It was one of her other persons. "Mr. Frodo, it's getting late! Rosie's putting supper on the table." He glanced at Strawberry, and gave her a pat. His hand was not as soft but it was pleasantly warm.
Strawberry sat up at the interruption, and licked her paw twice, and then jumped down and ran off. She really was quite hungry now, and if her people were going in to supper, then there was likely a dish of cream by the kitchen door.
 




<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List