Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Confusion  by Laikwalâssê

Confusion

Chapter 3: a faint hope?

 

When Elrohir awoke and opened his eyes he looked into the concerned face of his father. Leaning against the opposite wall was Glorfindel silently conversing with Thalan, the head healer.

He felt strangely light-headed, yet he could not remember having been given something to relax.

Wracking his brain he was unable to determine why this had been necessary. Not knowing why he had been brought to the infirmary made him nervous.

When his father lightly touched his cheek he refocused on his father’s eyes still looking at him intently.

“Elrohir, how do you feel?” he inquired softly. “You scared me, my son.”

As if a lock had been opened all of his memories came rushing back at once; the ache in his heart, the overwhelming grief, the shock in seeing ….Elladan ALIVE?

With an anguished cry Elrohir jerked up and looked around wildly.

Having not expected this Elrond quickly grabbed his son’s arm to prevent him from leaving his bed.

“Ada,” Elrohir cried. “I’m going mad. I thought I saw Elladan….but this cannot be….I know…..”

Burying his head in his hands Elrohir began to sob. Over his head Elrond directed a concerned gaze at Glorfindel and Thalan.

Gently the Elf-lord embraced his son and held him close until his sobs had lessened.

“Elrohir, listen to me,” he said softly. “It’s perfectly alright. And I assure you, you are not going mad. Nothing is wrong with you.”

Contrary to his expectation Elrohir jerked away from the embrace and stared at his father incredulously.

“But, Ada,” he cried. “Elladan is dead. How can he be here?”

Mastering all his self control Elrond looked levelly at his son. He took the face of his son between his palms.

“Elrohir listen to me. I do not know where you got the impression that your brother is dead. He is waiting next door and he is very worried about you.”

Elrohir looked at his father uncomprehendingly. Why was he doing this to him? Was the game from the morning continuing? Why did they all want to fool him? For months he had worked to accept the fact that his brother was dead and now all around him were telling him that this was not true?

Suddenly his heart begun to pound wildly. What if….what if Elladan actually was alive?

No! He had seen him die.

He still felt the loss and the ache in his heart…did he really? What was he feeling right now?

Sensing the utter confusion of his son Elrond only nodded into Glorfindel’s direction whereupon the warrior turned and left the room.

Elrond held the gaze of his son until the door opened again and Glorfindel followed by Elladan entered the room. With a sound between sob and sigh Elrohir gazed at his brother tears streaming down his face.

Suppressing his irritation and worry Elladan simply stepped forward and embraced his brother in a tight grip.

The body in his arms was wracked with heavy sobs. Elladan only tightened his grip. “Shh, Elrohir. I’m here now. All will be well. Open your heart, brother!” he demanded softly.

Elrohir however could not relax. His sobs only increased while all of his pent up grief was released. He could not understand how it was possible for Elladan to be standing right in front of him. His mind must be playing a trick on him.

At this moment however, he did not care. It was too overwhelming to feel the loving arms around him, too heavenly to feel the presence of his brother filling the emptiness in his heart. He was unable to stop crying.

Elladan did not mind and continued holding his brother until Elrohir had exhausted himself. Hovering nearby Elrond and Glorfindel watched in concern.

When Elrohir had succumbed to his exhaustion Elladan lowered him back onto the bed and covered him with a blanket.

After Elrond had made sure that the younger twin was resting and a healer had been assigned to sit with him, the three elves left the room.

After closing the door to his father’s study Elladan looked straight at the healer. “Ada, why does Elrohir believe me dead? Only yesterday everything seemed well with him!”

The Elf-lord did not answer at first. He had asked himself this very question and he had no real answer. Something intense must have happened to the younger twin overnight. After spending a pleasant evening in the Hall of fire Elrohir had retired without any indication that anything was wrong.

Glorfindel was staring out of the window, yet Elladan was sure that the warrior was listening attentively.

“Ada?” Elladan tried again when his father didn’t respond. Finally the Elf-lord directed a thoughtful gaze at his oldest son.

“I do not think that Elrohir has lost his mind, yet something must have happened to make him believe that you died.”

The very thought let the Elf-lord swallow.

“A dream?” Glorfindel suddenly queried. He had moved from the window and was now perched on a chair’s armrest.

Elladan frowned. “You are not truly suggesting that he dreamed that I was killed and this is continuing even after waking?” he asked sceptically.

Glorfindel only shrugged his shoulders while Elrond rose and begun pacing the room.

“I would not call it a dream, rather an intense vision!”

Elladan paled at the implication. Now it was Glorfindel who frowned.

“Are you saying that he dreamed of something that could happen and this dream was so intense that he believes that it has already happened?”

“Yes!” Elrond replied. “I have no other explanation.”

Elladan swallowed. If it was like his father suggested, and he had no doubt about that, then Elrohir had glimpsed some part of their future…of his future.

Elladan sprang up. “I have to go to him. I will relieve him of his anguish and I have to determine what he has seen!”

Elrond held up his hand. “Be careful, Elladan. You know how deceiving vision can be!”

Nodding curtly Elladan left the room.

To be continued……………..





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List