Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Confusion  by Laikwalâssê

Confusion

Chapter 5:  fate strikes

 

Many months later while walking with his brother, Elrohir held up his hand motioning for them to stop. Elladan had heard it too. Orcs were approaching their position.

The two of them and twenty warriors were just back from a three weeks patrol and wished for nothing more then to arrive home, have a nice hot meal that they didn’t have to cook themselves and enjoy a soft bed. Obviously this would have to wait a bit longer.

Hearing a whistle, Elrohir looked up and saw Glorfindel already directing the warriors into various defensive positions. It was too late to avoid the large band so they had to fight.

Unsheathing his sword Elrohir had no time for any further thoughts. The first of the foul beasts had already appeared in the clearing. With a last look at his brother Elrohir charge for the first strike.

After two hours Elrohir was panting heavily. This fight seemed endless. He had lost count of the orcs he had already brought down but their numbers didn’t dwindle. Always when he thought he had the upper hand another of the foul beasts approached.

Elladan and he had become separated from the main group during the battle. He could only faintly hear the fighting of the other warriors. Even Elladan was now a distance away from him, their usual style of fighting back to back having not worked as well as usual.

Finally he had managed to strike down the last orcs in his vicinity. Immediately he looked up to check if his brother needed any help. Suddenly a strange sensation hit him like a blow. While he looked around the clearing he had the distinct feeling that the whole scene looked familiar, that he had seen this already.

And then the memory drove home. His vision!

Over the last months he had nearly forgotten about the strange experience he had.

With near panic he jerked his head toward his brother’s direction and his blood froze in his veins. Elladan was busy fighting the last orc still struggling against him, but he was totally unaware of the one fell beast which was sneaking up behind his back.

The orc had already raised his scimitar and would strike Elladan in his back without any chance for the older twin to defend himself.

Elrohir knew that he had to react instantly or his brother would be dead. A shout would only distract Elladan. He had to take down the orc himself or his vision would come true.

There was not enough time for him to draw his bow and notch an arrow. Elrohir raced across the clearing and just as the orc was about to stab his sword into his brother’s side Elrohir parried the blow, hurling himself at the orc with a mighty leap and a furious cry.

After killing the orc he had been battling, Elladan whirled around at the cry and gazed, horrified, at the sight of his brother sprawled across the body of a dead orc. Elrohir was covered with blood.

Elladan hastened over and knelt beside his brother.

“Elrohir, are you alright?” he asked anxiously while lending his brother a hand to come into a sitting position. Elrohir only nodded while wiping the blood from his armour. Only now did Elladan realize that the colour of the blood was black.

Elrohir looked up and actually grinned.

“I’m alright, Elladan. I’m perfectly alright and you are too!” With this Elrohir rose and embraced his brother fiercely.

Elladan returned the embrace heartily but after pulling away he looked at his brother in bewilderment.

“Elrohir, is everything really alright?” he asked tentatively. The smile on his brother’s face did not vanish, instead it increased. He wanted nothing more then to thank his brother for saving his life but his behaviour was confusing him.

Sobering Elrohir stepped closer.

“Elladan, everything is alright. Really, it could not be better!”

Knowing his brother better then anyone else Elladan frowned but refrained from asking further. Elrohir would tell him when he was ready.

When the brothers turned they came face to face with a thoughtful looking Glorfindel.

“That leap was spectacular, Elrohir. One second later and your brother would be dead. Your reaction was amazing, as if you had known what would happen……”

Elrohir only laughed and walked past the warriors unaware of the bewildered looks following him. Actually he did not care.

Obviously Glorfindel and his brother did not remember the past vision and he was only happy he had remembered in time.

Visions were not that bad after all, at least not always.

The End.

 





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List