Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Celeritas' Birthday Bash 2012  by Celeritas

“Don’t!” Faramir hissed.  It was nigh on Loëndë, and they should have both been abed, but no, Boromir had insisted on doing something fearful, and Faramir had to stop him.  Even back then, he had known that the younger brother should not have had more sense.

Boromir was already on the ledge.  “I’ll lend you a hand—you, at least, cannot see our City if you stay on the ground.  How beautiful ‘tis!”  He turned around to look at Faramir.  “You should come.”

You should go,” said Faramir.  “You’ll fall!”

“Not if I stay on this side of the rampart.  I’ll fall in, not out.”

“Brother, please—”

Boromir crouched down, and began sliding himself towards the edge, sticking his toes off the other end, and leaving them for a full five seconds before returning.

“’Tis danger, I think, that makes us feel most alive.  If we are to be soldiers, we had best learn to stare it in the face now.”

Faramir nodded, slowly.  “Yet there’s danger enough in the world without courting it.”

Boromir nodded briefly.  “I don’t wish to court—only to understand.  Again he stood up, facing Faramir, and grinned.  “Come, Faramir.  I won’t fall.  And I won’t let you either.”

Faramir longed to climb up and join him, but the sheer folly of the drop and the deep pit in his stomach stayed him.

They were caught shortly after, of course, and Faramir got in almost as much trouble as Boromir for coming with him and not finding a guard immediately.

Yet all these years later, the image was still blazoned in his mind: Boromir, limned in the red of the sun’s last rays, smiling as if all the Black Land’s forces had been wiped out forever by the sheer force of her glory and Gondor’s combined.

And Faramir had honestly believed, for a single, brilliant moment, that what his brother had said was true.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List