Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Fate  by Laikwalâssê

Fate

Disclaimer:

The characters, places, and events are creations of J.R.R. Tolkien. No profit was or will be made from this story. It was written solely for entertainment.


Author’s note:

As always many, many thanks to my wonderful beta reader Erulisse.


Summary:

When word reaches the great forest of Mirkwood that the Lady of Imladris had been attacked and badly wounded, resulting in her sailing to the Undying Lands, the youngest prince of the forest remembered when an elfling experienced the same horror of losing a mother.

Rating: PG-13


Chapter 1:  grave tidings

The King of Mirkwood and his sons sat relaxed in the family sitting room, each enjoying a glass of wine.

Legolas cherished these rare moments. His father’s duties as the ruler of the great forest realm occupied much of his time. The family took advantage of the times when all of them were home at the same time, taking the opportunity to spent time together whenever it presented itself.

Legolas´s two older brothers were enjoying a game of chess. An occasional look told Legolas that Saeron would again win this match which would leave Galadhion in a grumpy mood.

Legolas smiled. Saeron would not miss teasing his brother mercilessly about his poor strategic skills. Galadhion would argue back but it was always good natured bantering; the atmosphere was much too relaxed for an earnest dispute.

As always on those occasions when the royal family was together, Legolas felt the absence of his mother almost physically. He had known her only a very short time in his life, yet his father and brothers never tired of telling him as much as they could remember; so he had vivid memories of a female elf with raven black hair and a caressing and caring attitude which was firm and demanding when necessary, yet always gentle and loving.

At the last moment he held back an anguished sob, yet his father had caught the small noise already and was looking at him with a frown. Legolas waved the questioning gaze aside and Thranduil let it drop knowing what was on his son’s mind this evening anyway.

Legolas was ripped from his thoughts by a knock on the door. He looked up annoyed but his expression was not as thunderous as that of his father. Every servant knew how the four royals treasured such family gatherings and refrained from disturbing them unless something urgent had happened, requiring the King’s imminent presence.

As quickly as the storm clouds had appeared on the King’s face, they disappeared. He knew, after all, that a ruler never really had time off.

“Enter!” Thranduil called with a calm voice, yet his stance had gone rigid from one moment to the next. A frown had also appeared on the Troop Commander’s face reflecting his fear that something really important must have happened to disturb the King at such a late hour.

Four pairs of eyes were directed at the door when it opened. Dolion, one of the King’s personal servants, entered.

“’My Lords,” he said, acknowledging the gathered elves. His gaze however was directed solely at the King. When his advisor said no more Thranduil only raised an eyebrow while looking pointedly at the parchment the advisor was clutching in his hand.

“Dolion, what is so urgent at this late hour?” Thranduil asked. Legolas cringed. Irritation was clearly colouring his father’s voice.

Outwardly unimpressed and in the King’s service for much too long to be easily intimidated, the king’s assistant bowed and straightened again.

“My Lord, I beg your pardon, but a messenger bird has just arrived carrying a missive with the seal of Imladris.”

While the King’s eyes narrowed, Legolas and his brothers were holding their breaths. Only the most confidential or urgent messages were delivered using the birds. What could possibly have happened in Imladris to warrant this? News was exchanged on a regular basis and nothing in the last missive had indicated that anything was amiss.

“Did the bird wait for an answer?” the King asked while rising to receive the parchment.

“No, my Lord!” was the short reply and Thranduil dismissed the servant with a nod.

After Dolion had closed the door Thranduil broke the seal and quickly opened the little scroll. Three sets of eyes followed his motions.

When all colour drained from the King’s face the brothers refrained from running to his side and reading over his shoulder. They knew from experience how their father disliked that.

For long moments Thranduil only stared ahead, the parchment forgotten in his grasp. The brothers waited patiently, however when no explanation was forthcoming Saeron could not contain his anxiety any longer. “Adar, what is it?” he asked, his voice carefully controlled.

When the King finally looked up Lagolas gasped. His father’s eyes were moist with tears and the sad expression on his face nearly took his breath away. It took a lot to make the King lose his composure. In public such a thing was unthinkable and even in private it was very rare. Legolas swallowed at the implications.

With a thin and far away voice the King begun to speak without looking at his sons. “A year ago the Lady Celebrián was attacked by orcs and kidnapped. Her sons managed to rescue her, at great peril to themselves, yet her wounds in body and spirit are so severe that she has decided to sail.”

All three brothers jumped to their feet in shock. They knew the Lady of Imladris well and she was well liked within the royal family. Many visits between Imladris and Mirkwood had forged a connection between the families as if they were relatives.

To hear this horrible news now left the brothers reeling with the familiar feeling of loss.

Legolas´s sympathy was directed at Lord Elrond’s children, especially his long time friends Elladan and Elrohir. It was cold comfort that he could well sympathize with the helplessness they must be feeling now. Yet sympathy was not empathy and he knew this all too well.

Legolas looked with concern at his father. This bad news had reopened a wound which had never fully healed. The King and his sons had needed years to overcome the shock of losing the centre of their family.

The Half-elves had not lost Celebrían to death, yet she would sail and what would that change in the end for those that remained behind?

A far away look now on his face, Legolas remembered back when a similar tragedy had nearly destroyed his own family………

To be continued……………….

Characters and the name’s meanings:

Thranduil (vigorous spring) - King of Mirkwood

Elarinya (morning star) - Queen of Mirkwood

Galadhion (son of the tree) - Thranduil’s oldest son- Troop Commander of the forest defences

Saeron (wood walker) - Thranduil’s second son – Captain of the warriors defending the realm’s borders

Legolas (green leaf) - Thranduil’s youngest son, novice warrior

Further main characters:


Thalan – advisor and closest confidant of the King

Galion – chief of the royal guards and best friend of Saeron

Dolion – Thranduil´s personal servant

Sinaht – chief of the Home Guard

Thornil – head palace healer





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List