Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Journey Home  by Fiondil

Prologue: A Conversation Among the Valar

*Where is he now?*

*Not far from where Minas Tirith of old stood.*

*Where does he go, though? There is nothing to the north but ice and snow.*

*He goes to die.*

*He’s tried that before. We would not allow it.*

*We will not allow it here, either.*

*He is a stubborn one, isn’t he?*

*Very stubborn, which is probably why we have never given up on him.*

*So how do we prevent him from killing himself this time?*

*Do we send our Maiar to interfere again? I do not think it will work this time around. Before, the Maiar were able to inspire others who were near him to intercede for us, convince him to another way. Why, the last time — how long ago was that? Two yéni? — Fionwë was able to stop him from killing himself by setting one of the large carnivorous felines on him when he traveled to the desert to die. He never ran so fast in his life and for some time afterwards dying was the last thing on his mind. There is no one where he is going now, not even a convenient large feline.*

*Which is probably why he’s going there. He knows there will be no interference from others.*

*Unless we send someone after him.*

….long pause….

*Who?*

*Someone whose time has come.*

*Yes, that might work. He will need help, though. He cannot go alone.*

*No. In that you are correct. He will have company.*

*And then what? They meet on the ice, they have a nice conversation and then they all go back to the South to wait out the end of this ice age? I don’t see that happening.*

*No. In that you are correct. To send anyone after our stubborn son just to have them turn around once their task is done would be pointless, not to mention cruel. No. We will give them all an incentive to continue their journey. We will inspire them to come home.*

….another long pause….

*The way is shut. The Straight Path is frozen.*

*The Straight Path can be reopened if we allow it. We have always kept a guard on it in case any of the Firstborn remaining there wish to return, though none have done so in a long time. Yet, the way is there for them to find, if they so desire.*

*Those we send will not know that.*

*No, they will not, but we will inspire them with hope that the way will be found. That is all we can do. What they do with that hope is up to them and the one we hope they will save before it is too late.*

*It will not be easy for any of them and some may well come home through me.*

*That is as Atar wills.*

*There is no guarantee that even he whom we seek to save will survive the journey. Then all will be for naught.*

*Nay, it will not, for in any case he will be home and so will the others. That is our ultimate aim in all this: to bring them all home.*

*Then let their journey home begin.*

****

Words are Quenya:

Yéni: Plural of yén: an elven century equal to 144 solar years.

Atar: Father.





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List