Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Rings of Evendim  by shirebound

Author notes: I began posting my AU tale “Quarantined” in December of 2002, and finished it in May of 2003. I’m still amazed that it eventually inspired a dozen short and full-length sequels. When I wrote “The Vault of Annúminas” in 2007 I expected it to be the conclusion of the series, and wrote it as such. But…. here we go again. In this story there are many references to “The Vault of Annúminas” (and other “Quarantined” tales, such as the Dwarves' promise to rebuild Annúminas in “When the King Comes Back”).

Frodo has remained in the Shire and did not sail West. He was healed of all weariness and despair – through a method to be explained in this story – and travels with his friends to Lake Evendim to enjoy the visit of King Elessar and Queen Arwen. In this AU, the king does *not* greet his friends at the Brandywine Bridge, as the Professor wrote, but arranges to meet them at Annúminas.

According to the Professor's timeline, Gimli is 157, Aragorn is 105, Frodo is 68, Sam is 56, Merry is 54, and Pippin is 46. Pippin has been the Thain of the Shire for two years, Merry has been Master of Buckland for four years, and Sam has been elected Mayor of Hobbiton for the second time.

Special thanks to my wonderful beta-Mom for suggestions and encouragement.

DISCLAIMER: The Professor’s wonderful characters don’t belong to me; I just get to think about them day and night.
__________________________________________

THE RINGS OF EVENDIM

Chapter One: The Road Less Taken

S.R. 1436 King Elessar rides north, and dwells for a while by Lake Evendim. Appendix C, The Return of the King


"Here they are!" Frodo cried out. "Didn't I tell you?"

"Truly amazing," Merry agreed, looking around. "And this is a perfect spot to rest before the final stretch." He brought his pony to a halt and dismounted.

Sam gazed up in wonder at the trees Frodo had been excitedly describing for the last mile, which now lined both sides of the smooth, well-marked trail on which they were travelling. He handed the cart ponies' reins to his daughter Elanor, got down from the front seat and joined Merry in examining the nearest tree. They walked slowly around the massive trunk, shaking their heads.

"It would take a dozen hobbits to ring this, hand in hand," Sam marvelled.

"I know," Frodo said. "Seedlings of many unique plants – like these trees – were brought to these shores from Númenor, the island in the western Sea that was drowned long ago; Aragorn said that they grow now only in isolated parts of Eriador."

"Don't you mean 'King Elessar Telcontar?" Pippin teased. He straightened his Gondorian tunic, of which he was immensely proud. He had put it on before leaving The Royal Roost that morning.

"I'll try not to embarrass you when we get to the city, Peregrin," Frodo said with a grin. "It took me long enough to learn to call him 'Aragorn'." He dismounted, stretched his arms up, and breathed deeply of the soft springtime air. Many of the flowers north of the Shire were as unfamiliar as the trees, and gave off a sweet mingled scent.

"What's a 'city', Dad?" asked Frodo-lad. He bounced up and down in the thick straw in the cart carrying him, his brothers Merry and Pippin, and sister Rose-lass.

"Every city I've seen has been different," Sam responded. "Rivendell was all arches and water and light. The Lady's city was green and gold, with mostly trees and glades and song to gladden the heart." At Sam's mention of the Lady, a gentle smile of remembrance lit Gimli's face. The Dwarf was driving the cart bearing the boxes of gear, satchels of clothing, provisions, playthings for the children, and gifts he had brought all the way from Rohan to Bag End. "Minas Tirith – now that was a sight," Sam continued, "carved into a mountain with turrets and streets of stone. And Edoras... more Shire-like it was, with its villages, and croplands as far as the eye could see."

"You have not seen Aglarond," Gimli said, his eyes glittering with pride, "although it is far too soon to call it a 'city'. In these scant years since our labors there began, we have begun to bring beauty and order back to the caverns, and make a home for ourselves. I have brought with me many crystals and gems as gifts from my folk to Aragorn's northern capital."

Elanor got down from the cart, and went to help Uncle Pippin prepare a snack of fruit and biscuits for the children. Because of the many new inns that had sprouted up in the once-sleepy Northfarthing, they hadn't needed to bring the vast store of provisions a party traveling from the Shire to the northern Bounds might once have needed, had any chosen to make such a journey.

The fifteen-year-old found herself alternately excited to meet the King and Queen, and wishing her mother had come with them. Although still two months away from giving birth to her eleventh child, Rose hadn't yet wanted to risk the long journey; as the royal party would be in residence for a year or more, there would be plenty of time to meet them. Rose was already planning a trip north in the autumn with Aunt Estella and Aunt Diamond, and as many children as could be managed.

"How far is Annúminas?" Gimli asked, still not entirely comfortable when surrounded by towering trees.

"You'll see it when we get to the top," Frodo promised, pointing further up the steep, winding trail that led to the top of the southernmost arm of the Evendim Hills. "The view of the lake is unbelievable; that's why I wanted to come this way, and not by the new road through Greenfields. I suppose the old guard tower's been rebuilt by now, along with everything else; this path used to be nothing but broken paving stones and high grass." He remembered that magical journey 40 years ago as if no time had passed. Closing his eyes, he could imagine that Elladan rode nearby wearing the sling holding a sleeping pup, the Elf's voice singing sweetly.

"I'm surprised that no one has come to meet us," Merry said. "They know we're coming by this trail."

"I'm sure there's a good reason," Pippin said calmly. He washed sticky peach juice from Rose-lass' face with a damp cloth, then helped Elanor put everything away. "Come on, let's go. Merry, those trees will still be here when we come back." He took a drink of water, and sighed. "I hope there's been time to build a few good inns in this new city."

"Perhaps the northern Dwarves have heard of your exploits, Gimli," Merry said, getting back on his pony. "After all, you're now lord of a realm in your own right."

Gimli laughed. "I do not ask for recognition for any achievement… save perhaps having known the favor of the Lady, and being one companion in a courageous Fellowship."

"There was barely anything left of Annúminas when I last saw it," Frodo said. "I'm so eager to find out what the Dwarves have accomplished."

"As am I," Gimli said. "Few of my relatives remain in the Blue Mountains, but I hope to meet more descendants of those who have dwelled there since ancient times."

Pippin looked up at the sun, checked the ornate pocket watch he had inherited from his father, and frowned.

"We're going to be late," he announced. "Sam, you can pick flowers when we get there."

"Late?" Frodo laughed. He good-naturedly got back on his pony. Sam climbed back up on the cart-seat and gave his handful of blooms to Elanor, who tucked them into her belt.

"Pippin, do you know something we don't?" Merry asked suspiciously.

"Maybe I do and maybe I don't," Pippin said calmly. "I am a squire of the King, after all, and privy to certain information."

"Such as?" Frodo asked, but Pippin just smiled.

The party rode for another half hour, and although the trees and foliage obscured the view ahead, Frodo knew they must be nearing the top. As they rounded the last bend, Pippin suddenly gasped, and sat up straighter.

Everyone looked up, and Frodo felt a thrill of excitement run through him. There before them was the wide clearing he had been watching for, but it was not the barren hilltop he remembered. All along the summit stood a line of men in glittering armor and helms. As one, the men unsheathed their swords and raised them high in salute, the blades flashing and glittering in the sunlight. As Gimli and the hobbits approached, the line slowly parted in the center to reveal a man standing alone. Tall and richly dressed, and bare-headed except for a shining gem on his brow, he stepped forward, smiling broadly.

"Estel!" Frodo cried out, forgetting everything else in his joy. He jumped down from his pony and ran the remaining distance. The men gaped in amazement as King Elessar knelt and opened his arms wide, and Frodo flew into them.

"Estel," Frodo whispered, "I'm so happy to see you,"

"As am I, little one," the King whispered back, returning his friend's hug. After a time he pulled back to look at Frodo, surprised and delighted by what he saw.

"You look well, my dear friend," he said, the relief evident in his face. "Remarkably well, in fact."

"As do you, Your Majesty," Frodo grinned. "I have much to tell you." He stepped back and bowed.

Elessar sighed. "None of that," he said, but Frodo just grinned. The King called out a glad greeting to Gimli, then it was Sam and Merry's turn to race forward. After a warm embrace, the King looked about to see that Pippin stood apart, his eyes shining with love and devotion.

"Sir Peregrin," Elessar said softly, beckoning Pippin forward.

"My king," Pippin whispered, overcome with emotion. He drew his small sword and laid it at his liege lord's feet before hugging him fiercely. When the King rose to his feet, he wiped a tear from his cheek before addressing the hobbits.

"My friends," he said, "I am overjoyed to see you again. I hereby proclaim you citizens of Annúminas and all of the North-kingdom of Arnor, for now and always, you and your descendants." He pulled a scroll tied with blue ribbon from his belt and handed it to Pippin. "Thain Peregrin, will you bear my declaration to the Shire, and keep it safe?"

"I will," Pippin promised solemnly.

The King then asked Sam to bring forward the excited children. When presented to him, Elanor curtseyed with a grace that Elessar noted, suspecting that his queen would be quite taken by this lovely, golden-haired lass. When all of the greetings were done, he went to Frodo and took his hand.

"Come, little one," Elessar said softly. "Look upon what has risen from the grass and ancient stones you remember from our adventure long ago." He turned to face the waiting men. "Do you welcome the Ring-bearers, Frodo and Samwise, to our city?" he called out to them. "Do you also welcome Meriadoc, Knight of Rohan and Master of Buckland, and Peregrin, Knight of Gondor, Steward and Thain of the Shire? Do you welcome Gimli son of Glóin, Lord of Aglarond?"

"Aye!" came a thunderous shout from all the men, most of whom had heard of the Ring-bearers only in tale or song. They felt honored to be present.

The King led Frodo to the very top of the hill, followed by the others. With a shout, the children suddenly raced forward, each hoping to be the first to spy the city far below them.

"Ohhhh," everyone breathed in awe as they reached the edge, and peered down. A silence fell over the group as they gazed in wonder at the largest lake any of them had ever seen, and a city unique in all of Middle-earth. But Gimli's eyes looked first to the west, and his heart was full as he saw the Blue Mountains in the distance - his birthplace, and home of what remained of his northern kindred.

* TBC*





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List