Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Rings of Evendim  by shirebound

Author notes: My thanks to Larner for reminding me that Gimli was most likely born in the Blue Mountains; I have made a few corrections to Chapter 1 on this point.  I also polished Chapter 1 to add a few things lost in the final editing.

THE RINGS OF EVENDIM

Chapter Two:  A Royal Welcome

S.R. 1436 Elanor is made a maid of honour to Queen Arwen.  Appendix C, The Return of the King


The ride down to the valley was gentler than the ascent to the summit had been, the wide path descending in winding loops that afforded an easy passage for the ponies and carts.  The King’s Men marched proudly at the head of their monarch and his guests, and Merry unhooked the silver horn from his belt and blew a clear note that echoed for miles.  Elessar walked next to Frodo’s pony, with each hobbit child taking a turn on his shoulders.  He pointed out various sights below them, greatly enjoying the hobbits’ delight in what they were seeing.

The populated areas of Annúminas clustered around the lake on its eastern and southern sides, with the orchards, pasturage, forests, and croplands covering vast areas to the northeast.  The children exclaimed over the boats out on Lake Evendim, which the King explained were for both fishing and pleasure.  Sam, Merry, and Pippin simply gazed, astounded, at the lake itself: a body of water so large its opposite shores could be discerned only from the highest peaks.  Frodo told everyone about the abundance of fish waiting to be caught, and Elessar smiled to himself, lost for a moment in gentle memories.

Annúminas of the Fourth Age was a still-growing city, spread out over a huge area.  The Dwarves were rebuilding it in the same star-shape as its predecessor, with roads radiating outwards from a central marketplace.   Flags and pennants flew from nearly every home and shop in honor of the King and Queen’s arrival and the Ring-bearers’ visit.  As the King, the hobbits, and Gimli reached the bottom of the hill at last, there were cheers and glad greetings from every direction, although the merchants and townsfolk kept a respectful distance.

“I will take you first to the guesthouse,” Elessar told his friends.  “It is near our home, and Arwen is eager to see you.  Sam, we know that the children must be getting hungry and weary, and she wanted to ensure that all is in readiness.”  Sam nodded in gratitude.  A fine horse was led to the King, and he dismissed the men, who scattered throughout the city eager to relay everything they had seen and heard.

The King slowly led the way through the city, explaining the layout of the buildings and parks, and where each road led.  A sweet sound filled the air: the splash of sparkling fountains carved into the shapes of sea creatures, stars, ships, and trees.  Brightly-colored birds darted back and forth amongst them.

As the sun began to sink behind the Blue Mountains, and the air cooled, they came at last to a fine stone bridge.  They crossed the Brandywine River and climbed a rise of land where, set apart with a lovely view of the lake, the royal residence stood.  It had been built from sparkling white stone, and adorned with precious gold and mithril.   Green lawns were dotted with groves of the massive, ancient trees, and Sam exclaimed in delight at the well-manicured gardens.  Neat paths wound in and out between a complex of low buildings, and a short distance away they could see a large stable and horse-racing track.  The King led everyone to a building set apart from the others, built in stone of soft colors of brown and tan and nestled amid low hedges beginning to bloom.  The sound of soft music came from somewhere close by, and the air was full of the fragrance of flowers.  The tired hobbit children perked up at delicious smells of cooking.

Everyone dismounted, and the children jumped down from the cart, brushing hay off their clothing.  A group of respectful men came to tend the ponies and the King’s mount.

“Leave the carts, if you please,” Gimli advised them.  “We will unpack them ourselves.”

“Lady Arwen!” Frodo suddenly called out in delight.  And there was the Queen herself, emerging from the guesthouse.  The hobbits and Gimli went to greet her. 

“Welcome to Annúminas, my friends,” she said, her voice musical and sweet.  “This will be your home while you dwell here, and you will find many things already prepared for your needs.  You have but to ask if there is anything you require.  I know you must be weary after your long journey; there are hot baths waiting, and a meal that I hope will suit you.”

“Hooray!” shouted seven-year-old Pippin.

“Mind your manners,” Sam reminded his son hastily, but Arwen only smiled.  She asked the children to come forward, and, to their delight, she called each one by name and sat on the green lawn to speak with them.   At first shy, the boys were soon telling her all about their trip.

“And did you enjoy the journey, young Rose?” the Queen asked.

“Yes, thank you, Queen Arwen,” Rose-lass said.  “You’re so pretty.  Is supper ready?”

Sam sighed.  “I give up.  Go on, all of you.  We'll join you soon.”  He was relieved to see that the boys remembered to bow to the King and Queen, and Rose-lass tried her best to curtsey.  Then, with a whoop, they ran to the house and disappeared inside. 

Only Elanor remained.  Feeling as if she had wandered into one of her father’s stories come to life, she took the flowers from her belt and shyly offered them to Arwen, who accepted them graciously.

“I have been looking forward to meeting you, Elanor,” she said, and the young girl blushed.

“Dad and Uncle Frodo have told us so much about you,” Elanor said, finding her voice at last.  “May I?” she ventured, feeling brave enough to touch Arwen’s gown.  The fabric was exquisitely soft, with colors reflecting the same fresh greens as the valley itself. 

“This is called silk,” Arwen explained.  “If you enjoy sewing and crafts, there is much we can teach you about the gathering of the fibers, and their weaving.”

“Oh yes,” Elanor breathed.

“Supper is waiting, Elanorellë,” Sam reminded her, but the girl was gazing enraptured at the Queen.

“Perhaps this would be a good time, Samwise?” Arwen asked.  Sam smiled, and nodded assent. 

“Elanor,” Arwen said quietly, “your parents and I have been corresponding, and they have given me consent to ask something of you.”

“Ask me?” Elanor asked in astonishment.

“Yes,” the Queen continued. “As the eldest of our dear Samwise’s children, I wonder if you would consent to join our court – here in the north, and also in the south should you ever travel there.”  Elanor gasped.  “Your duties would be light and – I hope – enjoyable.  All of the resources of the royal court will be open to you, and you may learn what we have to teach of craft, music, lore, or whatever best suits you.  When you are of age, along with your father and uncles you would represent my lord husband and myself as our representative.”

“I would love that,” Elanor whispered.

Frodo, Merry, and Pippin came to stand next to Sam, pride and delight shining from their faces.

From a pouch at her waist, Arwen drew forth a delicate silver chain from which hung a gem of clear blue, and a mithril bracelet that fit the girl’s tiny wrist perfectly.  As she helped Elanor put them on, the girl felt a joy so buoyant she was certain she could have floated back to the Shire that moment, and again wished her mother could be there.

“I hope to meet your mother later this year,” the Queen said, discerning the girl’s thoughts.

“We’ll be back, you can be sure of it,” Sam said, as Elanor ran to hug him.

“Maid Elanor,” the king said, “we welcome you as a member of our court, and our family.”

Eyes filled with tears of joy and unable to speak further, Elanor curtseyed to the King and Queen, her golden head bowed in respect.  Sam watched proudly as his daughter displayed the modest grace which so complimented her beauty, and received an honor he knew would transform her life.

“Join your brothers and sister now,” Sam said gently to his daughter.  “We’ll be along soon.”

“Thank you,” Elanor said to Arwen, radiant with joy.  As she ran to the house, eager to share the news with her siblings, Gimli returned.  He had been puttering about, inspecting the pillars and stonework... most often nodding with satisfaction, but a few times shaking his head, muttering to himself in his own tongue.

“Friend Gimli,” the Queen said, getting to her feet,“I know there are many in Annúminas who wish to have speech with you.  Please come and go as you please.”

“You seem less than pleased with your discoveries, Gimli,” Elessar said.  “Does the work of your northern kin not meet with your approval?”

“It is sound work, and well crafted,” Gimli assured the King.  “However, I must tell you of my dismay that your residence is not as large or well appointed as I deem it should be; do you wish me to speak with the builders?”

“I appreciate your concern, but as Arwen and I will not be in residence very often, I chose not to take up much land for ourselves.  Northern winters can be harsh, and my people deserve to use as much pasturage and farmland as they need.” 

“Very well,” Gimli said, not entirely convinced.  He had imagined that the northern capital would rival Minas Tirith in grandeur.  He headed toward the carts, and began to unload them.

The King turned to Pippin.  “Sir Peregrin, you are off duty until further notice.  I trust you will discover each of our fine inns, and sample their wares accordingly.”  Pippin grinned and nodded.  “Frodo,” the King continued with a twinkle in his eyes, “be sure to visit The Hobbit, the Elf, and the Ranger.  I highly recommend it.”

Frodo gasped, then burst into laughter.  “You remembered!” he said.  “Oh, Aragorn, it’s as if no time has passed at all since we were here with Elladan.”

King Elessar,” Pippin hissed at him.

“It is all right, Pippin,” the King said with a smile. “For all of you, I will always be Aragorn, or Strider, or even Estel, if it pleases you.”

“Aragorn for me, then,” Frodo said gratefully.

Arwen came to Frodo, and took his hands in hers.  “My dear friend, I sense a balanced energy about you which I did not expect.  When word reached us that you did not sail with my father, I feared for you.”

“It has been a long road for me, but one of great healing,” Frodo said.  “Speaking of healing, there is something I am eager to tell you and Aragorn… in fact,” he said, glancing at Sam, Pippin, and Merry, “we four have been keeping somewhat of a secret, and have agreed that it's time to share it. Gimli, this concerns you, as well.”

“Perhaps tomorrow?” Pippin asked plaintively.  “I’m starving.”

Elessar laughed.  “Please go to refresh yourselves, my friends.  We will speak more tomorrow, and for many days after that.”

Before it got too dark to see, Frodo turned to look back at the top of the hill down which they had travelled. Some distance west of the trail, his eyes sought the place where he remembered the ancient Hallow would lie. And at the foot of the hill would be…

“Yes, it is still there,” the King said quietly. “The hidden chamber that you and Scamp helped me find is a very special place.”

“We’d best hurry,” Sam advised, “or the youngsters will have eaten all the Queen has had prepared for us.”  The hobbits went to help Gimli with the boxes and satchels, making sure the gifts they had brought remained out of sight until it was time to present them. 

Frodo hesitated before entering the guesthouse with the others. 

“Enjoy your supper, little one, and rest well this night,” Aragorn said. “Tomorrow is going to be a busy day.”

“It’s wonderful to see you again, Aragorn,” Frodo said, fighting back tears of joy.  “Years ago, I scarcely believed this day could ever truly be.”

“Nor did I,” Elessar said, kneeling for another embrace.  “Frodo, much of what I have I owe to you, and your companions.  I will never forget that, and neither will my people...”  He grinned, his eyes twinkling with mischief.  “…as you will see tomorrow.”

“Oh dear,” Frodo groaned.

** TBC **

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List