Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

The Rings of Evendim  by shirebound

THE RINGS OF EVENDIM

Chapter Four: Legacy of the Ring-bearers

Then Círdan led them to the Havens, and there was a white ship lying, and upon the quay beside a great grey horse stood a figure robed all in white awaiting them. As he turned and came towards them Frodo saw that Gandalf now wore openly upon his hand the Third Ring, Narya the Great, and the stone upon it was red as fire. ‘The Grey Havens’, The Return of the King


As the hobbits left the Memorial, many people bowed, asked to shake their hands, or wanted to exchange a few courteous words. Even Gimli was surrounded by admiring folk who recognized him from the portrait, and had heard about his deeds as a member of the legendary Fellowship. After awhile, Frodo politely explained that the King wished to show them more of the city, and the crowd reluctantly dispersed.

Three men stepped forward, and the King introduced them to Sam as trusted friends who would be taking Rose-lass, Pippin, Merry, Frodo-lad, and Elanor out on the lake. They had brought their own children, as well. Sam was reassured by the way the King greeted the men, and how all of the children were already chattering away and getting to know one another.

“We’ll bring back fish for supper!” Elanor called, as she and her brothers and sister ran excitedly with the others toward the waiting boat.

“I wouldn’t mind a bit of a cruise around that grand lake myself,” Merry said, and Elessar assured them that fishing and pleasure craft were available to them whenever they wished.

The chamber discovered by Frodo and Scamp years before was several miles to the south, at the foot of the Evendim Hills down which they had travelled the day before. Everyone got back on their ponies, and Gimli rode behind the King. As they approached the spot Frodo remembered, he saw that the tangles of vines and foliage clinging to the hills had been cut back, and the small stream, clear of debris, now ran merrily through a nicely-landscaped glade.

“The stones have been restored!” said Frodo with delight. “Oh, they look just fine.” The two pillars bearing the stars of the fortirie had been cleaned and polished, and stood now as they had in the ancient past: guarding the King’s Chamber. Once overgrown and forgotten, the entrance into the hill was now concealed behind a door engraved with seven stars and the White Tree in silver and gold. The door was approached by a smooth path lined with elanor, the star-sun flower so loved by Sam and Frodo.

They left their mounts near the stream and gathered around the King expectantly.

“So the ‘hidden door’ is hidden no longer,” Frodo said. “May anyone enter, like the Memorial?”

“No,” Elessar said to him. “Elendil’s chamber remains a place for the King to visit in seclusion. I hold the only key. I asked the Dwarves to disturb nothing within – save to clear out the dust and broken stones.”

“Dust!” Gimli guffawed. “From pearls and opals, if I recall the tales aright.”

“Indeed,” Elessar said. “Your folk gathered up what they could, and mixed it with other materials for use in decorating some of the buildings and fountains. That special ‘dust’ is one of the reasons the Memorial ’s outer walls glitter as they do.” Leaving the hobbits for a moment, he returned to his horse and retrieved a round, well-wrapped object from one of his saddlebags.

“Is that…” Pippin ventured, his eyes wide.

“Yes, Pippin,” the King responded softly, “the palantír of Orthanc. I brought it north with me not just to keep an eye on what is happening in Gondor, but so that I might set it on Elendil’s pedestal within his chamber, where he stood with his Stone. Frodo knows that I have dreamed of this ever since we found this place.”

“Do you want us to wait out here?” Sam asked.

“No, I would very much like to share this with all of you; I will come here alone another time.” Elessar smiled. “Sam, perhaps you might like to know how Rose is faring, back in the Shire?”

“Could you do that, sir?” Sam asked delightedly.

“Yes,” the King said. “But before we enter the chamber...” He pointed back to the large, flat stone next to the stream on which he, Frodo, and Elladan had picnicked so long ago. “Frodo, did you see your surprise? I must say, the Dwarves were quite puzzled when I requested that they add one thing to this sacred place.”

Frodo turned to look, and cried out in amazement. There, perched on one edge of the stone, was a small bronze statue.

“It’s Scamp!” Pippin said, as Frodo walked over to the statue and touched it gently.

“Oh,” Frodo whispered. “This looks exactly like her.” He ran loving hands over the likeness of his beloved pup – the long ears, eager tail, and alert, sweet face. “Aragorn, how wonderful. Thank you for doing this.”

“She is largely responsible for discovering the chamber in this hill,” Elessar said with a smile, “and many other things, besides. A most special dog, who should never be forgotten.”

“She was the most intelligent wee thing,” Sam said, his eyes soft with memory. “Strider, did you know that the Shire is practically overrun with her descendants, large and small? Why, we have three pups at home right now: all mischievous imps, like this one was.”

The four hobbits began at once sharing stories about Scamp with Gimli. While they talked, Elessar carefully placed his wrapped bundle in the grass near the door, and looked around in pleasure at the quiet, lovely spot, where Elendil himself had once stood -- perhaps before the city had been built, planning his northern capital and missing a drowned land to which he could never return. He turned for a moment to face the west.

“Towards Númenor that was, and beyond to Elvenhome that is, and to that which is beyond Elvenhome and will ever be,” he whispered, then turned back towards his companions.

“Gimli, would you please bring over what you will find in my other saddlebag? My wise and compassionate queen packed second breakfast for all of us.”

“You married a treasure, sire,” Pippin said with a bow.

“Indeed I did,” Elessar agreed. Gimli returned with a wheel of cheese, a basket of early fruits, and several wrapped honey cakes. After filling their cups with water from the stream, everyone sat down to enjoy the picnic. The hobbits talked animatedly, filling in the King and Gimli on many details of their lives over the past 16 years.

After they had eaten and talked for more than an hour, Frodo caught Sam’s eye, and Merry’s and Pippin’s, and they nodded encouragingly.

“Aragorn, Gimli...” Frodo began, “there’s something we need to tell you.”

“Ah, at last,” Elessar said. “You have been hinting at something extraordinary.”

“It is,” Merry agreed. “But not just for Frodo. It... mphhh!”

“Let Frodo tell it,” Pippin insisted, pushing a piece of cheese into Merry’s mouth.

Frodo smiled as all eyes turned to him. Never taking his eyes from the King’s, very slowly he unfastened the top button of his shirt and drew out a long chain on which dangled a gold ring. The intensely blue gem set in it caught the bright sunlight, and cast sparkles of color all about them.

“What is that?” Gimli asked in amazement.

“Frodo, is it... could that be Vilya?” Elessar asked hesitantly. “I have never seen it, but it appears the way I once heard Elrond describe it.”

“It is,” Frodo said. “Master Elrond gave it to me at the Havens. The gem Arwen gave me was such a comfort, Aragorn; even so, I had planned to sail West with Bilbo. But Gandalf, Master Elrond, and the Lady said they had been anticipating my decision, and urged me to wait. Master Elrond said that he was nearly certain that his ring might assist in my healing.”

“But it was foretold that the Three would fade when the One Ring was destroyed,” Gimli said.

“They did,” Merry said.

“But then how--”

Fade is not the same as extinguish,” Pippin added.

“Gandalf told us that their rings were fading in much the same way Elves sometimes do,” Frodo continued, “but it's a gradual process -- slower than any of them had anticipated. Their rings’ energies had already diminished too greatly to be of much use to any Elf or Maia, but... apparently, not for mortals.” He smiled, fingering Vilya gently.

“Wait just a minute,” Gimli interrupted. “Did you say 'their rings'? Gandalf and the Lady also wore rings? Is that where the Three were hidden, then? This is news indeed.”

“Yes,” Sam said. “It was a great secret, and I didn’t understand what I heard at the Council about them, but I’ve learned a lot more over these past years.”

“We all have,” Merry said. “Master Elrond and Gandalf and the Lady... well, they decided not to take their rings with them when they sailed. They said they could be of more use in Middle-earth, where they were forged, until they were spent completely.”

“All three left their rings with you, Frodo?” Gimli asked.

“No,” Frodo said. His face lit up in a pleased smile. “To whom do you suppose it would give Gandalf the greatest delight to bestow his ring?”

Elessar and Gimli exchanged a glance, then, as one, they both looked at Pippin.

“That’s right,” Pippin said happily. He unbuttoned one of his pockets and produced Narya. The heavy gold band with its deep red jewel glittered in the sun.

“I never saw Gandalf wear a ring,” Gimli said, still a bit confused.

“We didn’t either, until we got to the Havens,” Merry said. “Apparently the Three were invisible, or were hidden somehow. I wasn’t too clear on that part.”

“But they’re visible now,” Frodo said. “We’ve kept them ‘secret and safe’, as Gandalf once asked me to do with the Enemy’s Ring.”

“I think it amused Gandalf greatly to think of his ‘fool of a Took’ with one of the Elven Rings,” Pippin said with a laugh. “I must say, it’s given me great comfort since he left. And my goodness, the dreams I’ve had! Eagles and stars, and... and music I can’t even describe. I’ve been writing so many songs, I scarely have time for meals.”

“Hah!” Merry snorted.

“Frodo,” Elessar said slowly, “I am more pleased than I can express that Ada left his ring with you. The powers of the Three are legendary, and the healing energies that Vilya can focus have obviously done you much good.”

“It has,” Frodo agreed. “I’m so grateful.”

“But what of the Lady’s ring?” Gimli asked, looking from Merry to Sam. “To which of you did she leave it?”

“I said no,” Sam said firmly. “I’ll not wear another ring again, save this one.” He lovingly touched his marriage band.

“I’ve kept it safe until now,” Merry said, “but never quite felt that it belonged to me.  So we’ve been talking, and... well, we think there's someone else to whom it was meant to be given.”

“Gimli,” Frodo said softly, “who among us would best honor the Lady’s ring, and her, as long as he lived?”

Gimli gasped as all four hobbits turned to look at him, their eyes shining. Merry drew forth a delicate ring made of mithril, set with a perfectly cut, brilliant white diamond that blazed like a star come to earth.

“Take it,” Merry urged, placing it into Gimli’s shaking hand. “We know she would be pleased.”

Gimli opened his mouth to speak, but nothing came out. His fingers slowly closed over the ring, and he brought his hand up to rest reverently against his heart.

“I will treasure this,” he said at last. “I, and all my people, until the mountains are worn to the Sea.”

The King had been so intent on watching Merry and Gimli, he hadn’t noticed Frodo taking the chain from about his neck.

“Master Elrond’s ring has helped me heal, in many ways,” Frodo said. “I can manage on my own now, and pass it on to someone else.”

“Are you certain, Frodo?”  Elessar asked.  “How can you be sure?”

Frodo smiled, his whole being radiating peace.  “Because I’m finally strong enough to give it up, as I could never have given up the Enemy’s Ring.”

Sam was watching Frodo, proud tears shimmering in his eyes.

“This ring was meant to serve greater hands than mine,” Frodo continued.  “Vilya may still have much to offer, in ways we can’t even begin to imagine.  I’m certain that Master Elrond would agree.”

He held out the ring to Aragorn.

“It’s for you.”

** TBC **





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List