Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Rings of Evendim  by shirebound

THE RINGS OF EVENDIM

Chapter Five: Fair Warning

The sceptre of Númenor is said to have perished with Ar-Pharazôn. That of Annúminas was the silver rod of the Lords of Andúnië, and is now perhaps the most ancient work of Men's hands preserved in Middle-earth. It was already more than five thousand years old when Elrond surrendered it to Aragorn. 'Appendix A', The Return of the King


Elessar stared at Frodo in amazement, then down at the ring his friend held out to him. Ada's ring, he marvelled. I wonder if Arwen has ever even seen it. He reached out, but instead of taking Vilya, he gently closed his large hand over Frodo's small one in a familiar gesture.

"Are you certain, Frodo?" he asked again. "Parting with such a gift as this is not a decision to be made lightly."

"It wasn't," Frodo assured him. He gazed at the King, his clear blue eyes sure and calm. "I know you already wear a special ring, but I'm as sure as I can be that this one is also supposed to be yours. Its energy may last for years and years, long enough for it to help you to... well, I have no idea. You'll have to figure that out for yourself."

"I would love to try," the King admitted, whereupon Frodo dropped Vilya into his hand.

Merry hadn't realized how tensely he had been watching Frodo until he saw Master Elrond's ring leave his hand. Even though the four of them had talked about what to do with the rings, and Frodo seemed content to part with his, he had been afraid that, at the last moment, his cousin might falter and decide to keep it. Now he truly knew that Frodo's healing was complete, and he bowed his head in relief.

"See if it fits!" Pippin said, and everyone laughed, breaking the tension.

Elessar took Vilya from its chain, and drew the ring onto the middle finger of his right hand. He noticed an almost imperceptible vibration resonate through his body, accompanied by a slight dizziness that was quickly gone. He wondered if, in those brief seconds, Vilya had been adapting itself to its new owner. He suspected it would take years to learn what it could do, and was grateful for the opportunity.

"Thank you, little one," he said softly, overcome with wonder. Hobbits would never cease to bring unexpected moments into his life, all of them quite remarkable.

Gimli saw that the King needed time to compose himself.

"And now, that leaves only Gandalf's ring," he said jovially. "Will you be giving it away as well, Pippin?"

"Not for awhile," Pippin responded. "I'd like to… well, you see…"

"It's all right, Pip," Merry said encouragingly. "Tell him."

"Long ago, Gandalf gave great-great-grandfather Gerontius a gift that my family has treasured," Pippin explained. "He and Gandalf were great friends. When Gandalf gave me his ring, I wondered if maybe it was his way of staying in touch with the Tooks, or being remembered. I want to pass it on to my son Faramir when he marries. Who knows, maybe there'll be a bit of magic left in it by then." He grinned suddenly. "He's only six, after all, so I'll enjoy having it for a few more years."

"This has been quite a morning," Gimli said, shaking his head.

"It certainly has," the King agreed.

"Do you still want to show us the underground chamber, Strider?" Sam asked.

"It isn't the chamber you want to see," Frodo said knowing smile, "but Rose."

"Well, that's true," Sam admitted. "Will we really be able to view her in that Stone?"

"As long as I am directing it," Elessar said. "The palantíri were created to communicate with one another, but I've learned to direct its focus where I will. It takes great concentration."

"Diamond is visiting Bag End, helping care for Sam's little ones while he and Frodo are away," Pippin said. "I hope we can see her, too."

"Let's find out!" Merry said, as everyone gathered up the scant remains of the picnic. "Gimli, aren't you going to put on your ring?"

"Not just now," Gimli said, reverently placing Nenya into a pouch at his waist. "I will honor the Lady by doing so under the stars." He suddenly began laughing heartily. "My ownership of an Elven ring will no doubt require quite a bit of explaining to my relatives!"

Elessar retrieved the wrapped palantír from where it rested in the grass, then walked towards the door in the hillside, pulling out of his pocket an iron key. As he unlocked the door and it swung open, his companions gathered around to peer into the long passageway leading to the chamber about which Frodo had told them so much. Elessar lit a torch and strode ahead, and Frodo urged everyone to follow him.

"Mind the tree root!" Frodo called ahead, and he heard the King chuckle. Frodo smiled as he remembered how Aragorn had tripped over the hidden root when they first discovered this place, finding himself covered head to toe in the same thick, sparkling dust that coated Scamp.

Frodo pointed out the faded paintings on the walls, and Gimli mourned silently for the loss of the pearls and opals that had once adorned them. Soon they reached the slab of stone, carved to resemble a growing tree, marking the end of the passageway.

"This is the 'hidden door' I dreamed about, and that Scamp helped us find," Frodo said. "Open it, Aragorn!" Sam smiled at the excitement in Frodo's voice.

"Utúlien," Elessar spoke solemnly. Frodo heard the crack he was expecting, and what was now revealed to be a massive door swung slowly open. From within the dark chamber now revealed came the sound of running water.

"Did you see what happened, Gimli?" Frodo asked excitedly. "The stone opened when Aragorn spoke. It heard him!"

"That is a wonder indeed," Gimli said, running sensitive fingers along the edge of the slab. "It is regrettable that the art of awakening the living essence of stone in such a manner has not survived amongst the artisans of my people."

"Maybe the Lady's ring will help you find it again," Pippin said earnestly, and Gimli grew thoughtful.

"We will see, young one," he said. "The recovery of such craft would be a gift indeed. However, if her ring does nothing more than remind me each day of she who pierced my heart with her kindness, I will be content."

The King set flame to several torches set in the wall of the perfectly round chamber, and Pippin exclaimed in joy upon seeing the waterfall tumbling from the ceiling to a depression in the floor. Merry and Sam began to examine with great interest the vibrant, perfectly-preserved paintings and the map on the floor that Frodo had so painstakingly copied for Aragorn.

"That is a beautiful sight," Gimli said quietly, noticing the glittering crystals set into the high ceiling.

"Aragorn and I thought maybe those groupings show how the stars looked when the first king founded the city," Frodo said, and Gimli nodded that it might be so.

Elessar unwrapped the palantír and set it into the pedestal where Elendil himself had stood with his own Stone, and found that it fit perfectly. He then turned to the back wall, where a gem-encrusted silver chest stood in a niche, and beckoned Frodo to join him.

"Are the pieces of star glass still in there?" Frodo asked, his eyes wide with anticipation.

"They are," the King said softly, "and I added one other thing when Arwen and I arrived. You might remember seeing Elrond give this to me when he and Arwen arrived in Minas Tirith." He raised the lid of the chest, and reverently removed a slim silver rod. It was highly polished, but plain of adornment save for one end which was faceted like a jewel, and circled with engraved words in an Elvish script. The Scepter of Annúminas reflected the torchlight brightly enough to cause the hobbits to shield their eyes.

"Annúminas is its true and first home in Middle-earth, and will remain here," the King said. "Someday I will return with my children, and show them this place." He gently replaced the Scepter, and turned back to the pedestal. He gazed deeply into the palantír, whispered a few words the others couldn't make out, and focused his thoughts on the Shire... Bag End... Rose Gamgee's face… After a few moments, he took the globe in his hands and, never taking his eyes from its depths, he knelt. The hobbits and Gimli crowded around him.

"I see her!" Sam cried out, and there was a murmur of wonder from the others. "My beautiful Rose," Sam whispered, drinking in the sight of his wife. The image in the globe, tiny but clear, showed two hobbit lasses preparing a meal in Bag End’s kitchen.

"There's Diamond, with her!" Pippin said with joy. "Oh, if only we could talk with them. This is a marvel, sire." He started to reach out, but quickly stopped himself, deliberately putting both hands behind his back. He had promised he would never again touch another Seeing Stone, and that promise he would keep.

"I still remember, Gandalf," he whispered. "You'd be proud of me."

"He is, Pip," Frodo said, putting an arm around Pippin's shoulders.  He smiled mischievously.  “Aragorn, what a marvelous device.  Just how often do you check up on us when we’re not aware of it?”

Elessar laughed.  “Not often, you scamp.  I watch the borders of the Shire, as I have ever done, and observed Annúminas in its rebuilding.”

After everyone had seen what they wished in the Stone, he got to his feet and returned it to the pedestal.

"Why don't you look north this time?" Pippin asked suddenly.

"There are few settlements north of the lake," Elessar said. "Is there something in particular you wish to know about?"

"Not exactly," Pippin said, frowning. "I just feel like... maybe there's something there to see."

"Very well," the King said indulgently. He passed his hand over the Stone, then gazed into its depths once again. Suddenly he leaned closer, his eyes transfixed on something. "Seven," he murmured. "No, there are... eight. How extraordinary."

The others looked at one another, wondering what he was seeing.

"What is it, Strider?" asked Sam at last. "Is something wrong?"

"Pippin," the King said quietly, "you may have received a greater gift from Gandalf's ring than you realize. Do you remember that you and Merry were asking me questions about the Ice Men that once dwelt in the lands far to the north?"

"Yes," Pippin said, puzzled. He gasped suddenly. "You see them?"

"I do indeed. They live still, and have thrived."

"You were able to see all that way so quickly?" Merry asked curiously.

"Nay, there was no need," Elessar said. He waved his hand over the palantír once again, then wrapped it in the cloth. "I am sorry to cut short our time together, my friends, but we must go; there is much to prepare."

"Aragorn," Frodo asked urgently, "what's going on?"

"The snow people are coming here!" Pippin exclaimed. "Aren't they?"

"Yes," Elessar replied.  His face reflected a look of wonder, and awe.  "This has the look of a trade delegation, although they are armed. They have had no contact with the Dúnedain for a thousand years, and I wonder how - or if - they knew that a king had returned to this city."

"Do you think they'll be friendly?" Sam asked, feeling apprehensive. He had the children to think about, after all.

"Their ancestors were of great help to the last king of Arnor, but that was longer ago than their legends may tell. I suspect that they are as curious about us as we are about them. It was very courageous of these folk to have travelled so far, without knowing how they will be received.  I saw no horses; they have most likely come the whole way on foot.”

“What are they bringing to trade?” Gimli asked eagerly.  Part of the reason for his long journey north had been a wish to bring many new ideas and useful items back to his folk in the Glittering Caves.

“All of our questions will be answered soon enough," the King said.  After a moment's hesitation, he once again retrieved the Scepter from the chest. "Perhaps I should take this with me, after all.”

“They’ll know you’re the King, sire,” Pippin said.  “How could there be any doubt?”

“I am not their king, Pippin,” Elessar said thoughtfully, “unless they wish it.  We shall see what comes of this unexpected event.”

** TBC **

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List