Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Rings of Evendim  by shirebound

Author Note: This chapter references “Quarantined” chapter 20, and “The Vault of Annúminas” chapter 2.

Théoden’s quote is from The Two Towers.

THE RINGS OF EVENDIM

Chapter Eight:   All That is Gold Does Not Glitter

Frodo and Sam, however, went back to ordinary attire, except that when there was need they both wore long grey cloaks, finely woven and clasped at the throat with beautiful brooches. ‘The Grey Havens’, The Fellowship of the Ring


Sam sent the children on ahead while the rest of them followed at a slower pace, becoming better acquainted as they walked.  Among those who had not been previously introduced were Hé-Mir, a musician, Hé-Findam, an ‘honored cook’ of their clan, and Hé-Sokar, who claimed a modest skill with a bow. 

When the party reached the guest house, Hé-an asked, a bit anxiously, about whether they would be permitted to keep their hounds with them.  If the answer was no, they were all prepared to camp out of doors.

“Of course they are welcome, my friend,” Aragorn assured him.  “Huma and Hukara seem quite well behaved; we ask only that you do not let them wander through the city unless you are with them, as their great size may startle or even frighten some of those who live here.“

“You have only to tell us what they eat, and how often,” Arwen added.  “We will see to their needs, or you may procure foods from the kitchen as you will.”

“We are most grateful,” Hé-an said with a bow.

“It is lovely here,” said He-nára, the artist.  The view of the lake and western mountains was spectacular, and he was already anticipating the sketches and paintings he would render to take back to their people.

“Can your dogs swim?” Frodo asked curiously.  “The water here is quite cold, but my dog Scamp used to love it.”

“Indeed they can, and with great enthusiasm,” Hé-Tyana said.  “Do not fear for them, Frodo.  Our hounds swim with ease in the vast bay near our settlements, where the water is colder and rougher, I deem, than your kindly lake.”

“I see archers yonder,” Hé-an said, pointing to an area where the King’s Men were practicing.  He glanced at Hé-Sokar, then addressed the King.  “Do your folk hold contests of skill, King Elessar?”

Elessar laughed with delight.  “Most assuredly, friend, as do the hobbits.  It will be sport indeed to test our skills against one another.”  Hé-Sokar smiled with satisfaction, and his companions exchanged confident glances.  They had no doubt about the outcome of any such contest; those who lived or died by their skill with the bow had nothing to fear from those who did not.

The sledge containing the supplies and trade goods was taken to a private area behind the guest house, then the horses and ponies were led away to be tended.  After the King and Queen escorted the visitors inside and showed them the sleeping and bathing rooms, the men brought in their gear.  Gimli went to tell his relatives about the newcomers, and the King’s standard bearer left to spread the word among the citizens.

While Sam and Frodo were checking on the children and ensuring that the little ones got their naps, Pippin and Merry headed to the kitchen to help with supper.  After awhile, Hé-Findam came to hesitantly ask if he might be of assistance.  The hobbits introduced him to the kitchen staff, and everyone was soon deep in discussion about their favorite dishes and methods of preparing them.

A bell rang when supper was ready.  Several long tables in the dining room had been joined so that the hobbits, Gimli, the King and Queen, and the northerners could sit together.  A smaller table had been set up for the children. 

Hé-an was intrigued to notice that seated on each side of the King and Queen were Frodo and Sam, the most unassuming and plainly-dressed of the hobbits.  If the King valued the small folk so highly, why were the most-honored places at the table not filled by Meriadoc, who had participated in Angmar’s unmaking, and Pippin, whose tunic matched the King’s standard?

The young Gamgees had bathed and rested, and as each child entered the room, they were delighted to see Huma and Hukara, their fur brushed clean of their travels, laying quietly on a rug in the corner.  The dogs had already been fed a large supper of their own, but they perked up as each course was brought in from the kitchens, hopeful (as all dogs are) that something might find its way to the floor.

The sideboard was covered from one end to the other with platters and bowls heaped with foods familiar to the visitors, such as roast goose, cheeses, sweet butter, baked fish, and steamed vegetables, and some less familiar, including a variety of breads, sweet puddings, and cakes.  After living on travel rations and venison for the past few weeks, the guests ate with tremendous appetites, and praised each dish.

“We caught all that fish today!” young Merry said proudly.  “You should have seen us!  We hardly needed any help.”

“The boys are becoming quite good fisherhobbits,” Elanor agreed, smiling proudly at her three young brothers.  “Rose and I just sat back and enjoyed the scenery.”

Rose-lass nodded vigorously, her mouth full of baked apple.

“Good job, lads,” Frodo exclaimed, procuring a third helping of the fish.  “Sam, did you bake this?  What’s that peppery spice?”

“I was wondering that, too,” Sam said.

“It’s an herb our guests brought with them,” Merry responded.  “Hé-Findam helped us cook.”

“Did he?” Gimli asked with interest.  He, too, had been enjoying the unusual taste of the fish, and stroked his beard thoughtfully.  “I greatly look forward to an exchange of goods, my friends. ” He looked over at Hé-an. “That is, if you are by chance interested in trading for Dwarf-made tools or weaponry?”

“Master Gimli,” said Hé-an with great sincerity, “we have learned that this entire city was built by your folk, and I have been admiring the splendid axe you bear.  Our spices have their origins in sea plants, which can only be harvested during certain times of the year, and at great risk.  They are, of course, quite rare and costly, but I trust we can come to some arrangements that will be mutually beneficial.”

Gimli grinned, and went to pour himself another mug of fine ale.  There was very little he enjoyed more than spirited trade with worthy opponents.

“Hé-an, what do you and your men most wish to do in the coming days?” asked the King.  “How may we assist you?”

“Each of us hopes to interact with your folk, and learn what we can,” Hé-an responded.  “We are only beginning to clear thawed ground for growing crops, and there is much we need to learn about farming and agriculture.   Many of the grains that grow so abundantly in your lands are new to us, and such foods as the bread and cakes we enjoyed this eve would be most welcomed by our people.”

Hé-Tyana nodded.  “Building with wood and stone is also new to us.  Master Gimli, would your folk permit a few of us to observe the construction of dwellings, and perhaps work alongside?”

“I am sure that would be fine,” Gimli responded.

“Don’t you like your snow houses?” Elanor asked.  Everyone turned to look at her.

“How do you know we build dwellings of snow, young Elanor?” Hé-Tyana asked.

“I must have dreamed about them,” Elanor responded matter of factly, wiping her young sister’s face with a cloth.  “They were very beautiful, with fur rugs and beds, lots of rooms, and statues carved of ice.  Sit still, Rose!”

Sam stared at his daughter in amazement, as did the other hobbits, and Arwen looked thoughtful.  But Hé-an and his companions accepted the girl’s response with nods of agreement, and returned to their meal.  The women of their people were gifted in dream travel and perceiving messages from Irmo Dream Lord, such as the verse that had sent them to this place, and that this exquisite child was equally blessed was unsurprising.  They were gratified to realize they had more in common with these folk than they had thought.

“I would also like to see the map room which Pippin spoke of earlier,” Hé-an continued. “He-nára and Hé-Mir are interested in learning of your art and music, and of course there is trading to be done and contests of skill.”

“For this night, King Elessar, we crave only a tale, if you have the time to spare,” Hé-Tyana said hopefully.  “You spoke earlier of the unmaking of Angmar, and the brave deeds of your companions.”

“It will be my pleasure to speak of these things,” Elessar said, smiling at Gimli and each of the hobbits in turn.

After supper, they all gathered in the large common room.  Elanor, feeling quite grown up, was given permission to remain after her brothers and sister went to bed.  To no one’s surprise, she settled on the floor next to the dogs.

When everyone had found a place that suited them, Arwen rose gracefully to her feet and began to sing.  The words were in Elvish, but the visitors were thrilled each time they heard the name of a Being of Power known to them.  Her song wove pictures in their minds of times long past, when the world shimmered with sharp, fresh color, and newly-kindled stars burned like crystalline fire.  When she finished, Hé-Mir rose and bowed to her, then responded with one of the beloved songs of his people.  For the occasion, he chose the tale of the ancient one from whom King Elessar was descended, Ar-vedwë, and the ill-fated water vessel that had borne him away.  The King listened with great appreciation, learning details about Arvedui Last-King of which he had not been aware.

The hobbits urged Pippin to sing next, his clear voice bringing smiles to every face.  Even Gimli rose to share a song he had learned in Rohan.

Finally, the King began to speak, and the visitors listened, spellbound, as the fates of the Kings of the North and South unfolded.  They listened gravely as the tale grew to include Sauron and the wraiths who served him, and the Ring, and their eyes grew wide with astonishment when they learned how Gimli and these hobbits had come to be known and honored by all Free Peoples. 

Hé-an sat with bowed head, humbled and awestruck.  These small folk had seen Witch-king Angmar with their own eyes!  Frodo had survived his cursed blade.  And he and Sam had toiled and starved in order to see the Enemy’s Ring to its final end, allowing Chieftain Aragorn to ascend to the throne of a reunited kingdom.

“There is more,” said Elessar at last, his voice soft, “but no tale of such magnitude can be complete at one telling.  We are eager to hear your own history, and hope you will honor us with the telling in evenings to come.”

“Look,” Frodo said, pointing.  Elanor had fallen fast asleep, her head pillowed on Hukara’s belly.  With warm chuckles, the gathering broke up.  The visitors left one by one, each stopping to speak a few respectful words with the hobbits, and to thank the King and Queen for their hospitality.

Sam lifted his daughter gently in his arms and bore her away to bed, and Elanor dreamed that night of riding joyously on the back of a large, black dog who spoke in a language only she could understand.

When everyone had dispersed, Frodo retrieved his cloak, then walked outside with Aragorn.  They settled on a bench, each pulling out his pipe.

“Quite an interesting day, Aragorn,” Frodo remarked.

“Indeed,” Elessar responded.  “Who would have thought that the legendary snowmen would not only live and thrive, but so quickly become friends?”

“And what of Elanor?  She never spoke before of having dreams like that.”

“I am reminded of when you and I first met, little one,” Elessar said with a smile.   “You dreamed of my mother and home village without knowing anything about them...  and it was a dream of yours that led us to this city when it lay still in ruins, searching for an elusive treasure.  Elanor is much like you; a light shines from within her.  She is quite special. I knew it when first I saw her, as did Arwen.”

“All of Sam’s children are special, in their own way,” Frodo said, his eyes shining with joy.  “I’m so glad to still be here to watch them grow up.”

Elessar embraced his friend.  “You have no idea how happy I am to see you, and to know that you are well.”

“You look wonderful,” Frodo said. “What’s it like being king? Does everyone expect a lot of you?”

Elessar was quiet for so long, Frodo wondered if he should excuse himself, but finally he spoke.  “You did not get to meet Théoden King, but I’m sure Merry told you about him.”  Frodo nodded. “I heard him say once, ‘A lesser son of great sires, am I.’ If a king can remember that, Frodo, he will remain humble, and know that the only things expected of him are to protect his people, judge with such wisdom as he has, respect the old ways while slowly encouraging good, new ways to take root, and...” He grinned suddenly.  “Produce an heir, of course.”

Frodo laughed so hard he had to wipe away the tears.

“What a joyous day that will be,” he said at last.  “Don’t wait too long, or I’ll be too old to visit Gondor and shower the little one with gifts.”

“Arwen and I will do our best,” Elessar said solemnly, but his eyes were twinkling with mirth.

“It’s hard, knowing that you’ll never be able to visit Bag End again,” Frodo said with a sigh.  He leaned against his friend.

“I feel the same way,” Elessar admitted.  “But the ban against Men entering the Shire would be meaningless if the King broke his own law.  I must ensure that Hé-An understands the ban, and will respect it, should his people ever travel further south.”

Frodo looked up at him.  “Hé-Tyana asked me if there were any ‘star people’ in the city besides the Queen, and I had to tell him no.  There are so few Elves left in Middle-earth... is Arwen very lonely for her own people?”

“Yes, she is.  Thankfully, her brothers stay near, and she is able to visit Legolas and his folk whenever there is need.”

They can all visit Bag End!” Frodo realized, brightening at the thought.  “Please let them know they would be welcome.”

“I certainly will.  I know that my queen would enjoy that very much.”

Frodo smiled into the darkness.  “In her own way, Rosie’s as much a queen as any.  Sam is very lucky.”

“And do you feel the same, my friend?” the King asked softly.

“I’m the luckiest hobbit who ever lived, Aragorn.”

“And I am the luckiest man.”

They sat outside for awhile longer, blowing smoke rings and talking, and watching Hé-Tyana romp with the great hounds on one of the spacious lawns.  Finally they said goodnight to one another, and with great contentment, they parted.

** TBC **

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List