Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

The Rings of Evendim  by shirebound

THE RINGS OF EVENDIM

Chapter Nine:   A Fair Exchange

Many jewels the Noldor gave them, opals and diamonds and pale crystals, which they strewed upon the shores and scattered in the pools; marvellous were the beaches of Elendë in those days and many pearls they won for themselves from the sea, and their halls were of pearl, and of pearl were the mansions of Olwë at Alqualondë, the Haven of the Swans, lit with many lamps.’Of Eldamar’, The Silmarillion


It had been a week since ‘the Snowmen’, as the visitors came to be known, had arrived in the city, and, to their surprise, the subject of the most talk and gossip were the huge and bear-like Huma and Hukara.  Farmers, familiar with small herding dogs, and Hobbit merchants and traders, used to the unusually small dogs who could for the most part trace their lineage back to Frodo’s Scamp, were fascinated by the huge creatures, but also somewhat frightened by them.  The Dwarvish builders and architects roaming the city simply kept their distance, as wary of dogs as they had always been of horses.  Since the huge animals accompanied one or more of the Snowmen everywhere they went, Hé-an found himself frustrated that attempts at trade had been going, as Hé-Mir joked, “at a glacier’s pace”. 

But one day, the dogs’ sharp ears caught cries of distress from Lake Evendim, and raced more than half a mile to hurl themselves into the cold water, swimming to the assistance of two children who had swum out farther than their strength could support.  Before the frantic parents’ small boat could reach them, the children were happily riding on the backs of the two dogs, who were paddling to shore without seeming to tire.  Word of the rescue spread like wildfire, and suddenly the men found themselves warmly welcomed, and urged to visit more homes and attend more feasts than they would ever have time for.

Elessar, observing how the farmers and townfolk had begun to greet the visitors as friends, was relieved.  He knew that if Hé-An and his comrades had arrived in Minas Tirith, they might have been greeted with far more suspicion by people made wary by the uncertainties of war.  But Annúminas had been rebuilt only a scant few years before, and the people who would populate it were still trickling in from all parts of the North.  Visitors were welcomed for their goods and coin, knowledge or craft, but especially for the possibility of increasing the population and prestige of the Northern Capital of the King.

Finally, Elessar and Hé-An felt the time was auspicious, and it was announced that the visitors would display their trade goods at the marketplace the following day.

And what a memorable day it was!  Children, once they tasted samples of the new sweets, begged their parents to purchase or trade for large quantities of the crystallized birch sap.  He-tyána, besieged by little ones, sent a grateful thought to Yáve-anna, who caused the trees to grow in such abundance at the borders of their land.  Hé-Mir had brought flutes and pipes crafted from the tusks of sea creatures, and He-nára was delighted that his beautifully carved bowls and platters, as well as some of the colored images he had drawn of sea and ice, drew admiring crowds.  As Hé-An’s wise wife had predicted, the women were most interested in soft furs, warm rugs, curved-bone sleds for the children, and the many unusual pieces of jewelry. 

Although many people were intrigued by Hé-An’s intricate necklace, and a few expressed a wish to purchase something like it, the Chieftain politely explained that amber was sacred to their people, and only the leaders of a Ruling Clan were permitted to wear it.

As the day progressed, the Snowmen found themselves exchanging satisfied glances, as elated with the goods they were receiving in trade as were the townsfolk and farmers.  They obtained from the city's merchants bolts of cloth, spools of fine thread, preserved foods, silver mirrors, combs, jeweled hair clips, books of recipes that would please their wives and daughters, and cleverly-made toys and wonderful picture books for their children.  The visitors were offered precious seeds and saplings in exchange for Hé-Findam’s spices, and one canny farmer traded such chickens and goats as he could spare in exchange for warm, fur-lined coats for himself, his wife, and their son. The Snowmen saw the trade as a good one; garments could always be replaced, but animals to fill their new farms, and instructions on raising them, were almost beyond price.  Seeing the farmer bear the coats away in such triumph, a local herdsman quickly offered a few calves and the carts to carry them north -- an offer greeted with great joy by the visitors.  They gave in exchange two of their finest hunting bows, and, from a pouch that had until then remained hidden, a handful of large, shimmering sea-pearls.  The herdsman was well satisfied, planning to gift the exquisite pearls to his betrothed.

In a secluded corner away from the crowds, Hé-Tyana and Hé-Sokar, the archer, conducted more serious business with the Dwarves – the trading of axes, knives, and tools.  After hours of argument, boisterous laughter, and many mugs of ale, each side came away quite certain that they had procured the best end of the bargaining.

Finally, well past the time the market usually closed, the crowds began to disperse.  It had been a day that none who experienced it would soon forget.

Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin, whose small packs were bulging with gifts they had purchased for their friends and family back in the Shire, accompanied the ecstatic visitors back to the guest house with their many loads of new goods.  The dogs, who had enjoyed a swim in the lake and a long nap in the sun, ran on ahead to visit with the kindly (and generous) kitchen staff.

Pippin and Merry walked alongside Hé-Mir, of whom they had grown quite fond.  Pippin now owned several of the musician’s pipes and flutes, and could hardly wait to try them.  Hé-Mir asked about the Shire, and the hobbits spoke lovingly of their land south of the city.

“King Elessar has told us that no one of the race of Men is permitted to enter your Shire,” Hé-Mir said.  “He is a mighty ruler, but not the king of our people; Hé-An is conflicted about whether we must obey the laws of one who does not rule us.  Pippin, as guardian of your land, I would like to know your thoughts about this.”

Pippin grew thoughtful.  “We recognize the King, and honor him, but live by our own laws.  The ban was set upon our borders with our agreement, but if the Thain ever decides it‘s no longer in the best interest of the Shire, or wish to allow certain Men to enter, I believe the King would honor our wishes.”  He frowned, and exchanged a look with Merry.  “We believe, however, that what one Man is permitted to do, others will seek to emulate.”

Merry nodded.  “Hé-Mir, it we open our borders to any Men, even yours, we fear that the word will spread that the ban is ineffective, and the Shire will lose its protection.”  He sighed.  “You can’t imagine how terrible it was after the War, to find our home so changed by the ruffians who saw only rich croplands and sturdy mills, and trampled on the ‘little folk’ they found there.”

“You speak wisely,” Hé-Mir said approvingly.  “I will relay your words to Hé-An.”

“The Shire is a free land,” said Pippin, “but I have sworn fealty to the King.  Should we ever need it, he will send aid; should he ever need it, we will send aid. Perhaps your people might consider doing the same.  To pledge friendship and aid to the King can be done without binding yourself to his rule; we’ve proven it can be done.  King Elessar can be trusted.  He’s kept every promise he’s made.”

“You love him, as we love our Chieftain,” Hé-Mir said simply, and both hobbits nodded.  “We will consider this.  After all, our lands hold little that any monarch, even a greedy one, would seek.  Even Angmar, in his cruelty, sought only to keep us isolated in icy lands and did not send his minions to invade.”  He looked at Merry, his face grave.  “Meriadoc, I hope all of you and your families will visit us someday.  Since the thaw began, the lands grow more beautiful and rich every year.  And all because you destroyed Witch-king Angmar.”  He bowed slightly.

“I played only a small part,” Merry said quietly, “but learning that your land had been so enspelled by that evil being makes me even happier to know that he is no more.”

“What are you talking about so seriously?” Frodo asked, dropping back to join them.

“The land of ice and snow, of course,” Pippin said lightly.  Speaking of the Witch-king to Frodo was something he would never do, even after so many years and so much healing.  “And whether Merry or any of us might ever travel north to see it.”

“That’s an interesting thought,” Frodo said.  “Who can say?”

“We would welcome you,” Hé-Mir said.

“Thank you,” Frodo said.  Truly, anything was possible now.  Who could have predicted, just a dozen years before, that he would find such healing through Master Elrond’s ring, and live as such a joyous part of Sam’s large and loving family?

“Did you enjoy the trades?” Merry asked Hé-Mir.  “I think you will be leaving here with your sledges even more full than when you arrived!”

“Indeed, that is so!” Hé-Mir said with a laugh.  “We are bringing so much back to our people that will enhance our lives.  Everything save…” He hesitated, glancing ahead to where the horses were pulling the heavily-laden sledges.

“Yes?” Pippin asked.

“It is for Hé-An to broach the subject with King Elessar,” Hé-Mir said.  “I do not know if we have enough left of value to even attempt such a trade.”

“Is it horses you desire?” Merry asked perceptively.  “Such a long journey on foot must have been difficult.”

Hé-Mir nodded.  “Such priceless beasts may be beyond our ability to acquire, but perhaps some agreement can be reached.”

“I have an idea,” Frodo said.  “Do you have any of those beautiful pearls left?”

“We do.  They are difficult to obtain, and among the most valuable of our goods.”

“Hé-Mir, when I visited here many years ago with Aragorn and one of his brothers, we discovered that an ancient chamber of the first king had once been decorated with pearls and other precious stones from the lands beyond the Sea.  Over time, the pearls had been ground to dust; I could tell that Aragorn mourned their loss.”

Hé-Mir smiled broadly.  “Thank you, Frodo.  That information may assist us greatly.”

“Hé-Mir,” Merry said, “is Hé-Sokar as good with a bow as he claims?”

“We are truth tellers,” Hé-Mir responded.  “Of course he is.  Are you thinking about the contest, Meriadoc?  We are greatly anticipating it.”

“Your archer had better be good,” warned Pippin.  “You’ve never seen the Rangers use their bows.”

“Or the Queen,” Frodo added.

“Queen Arwen Undómiel has a hunter’s skill?” Hé-Mir asked in amazement.  “But she is… the queen!”

“And an Elf,” Merry said.  “She’s had thousands of years of practice.”

“I do not know if even Hé-Sokar can defeat one of the Star People in a contest with the bow,” Hé-Mir said worriedly.

“Don’t worry about it,” Frodo said.  “Just ask the King to appoint his best man to contest against yours.”

“We will do so,” Hé-Mir said with a smile.

“I hope your families aren’t too worried about you,” Pippin said, as they approached the guest house. “You’ve been gone nearly a month, is that right?  Maybe there’s a way to send a message north.”

“There is no need, although I appreciate your concern,” Hé-Mir assured him.  “Our wives will dream of us, and be assured of our well being… as your wives will do, of course.”

“I hope you’re right,” Merry said.  “Shire hobbits aren’t as gifted in dreaming as your folk, although Frodo has quite astonished us over the years with his foresight.”

“Don’t forget Elanor,” Frodo reminded them.

“We do need to begin planning our journey home,” Hé-Mir said thoughtfully.

“You won’t be leaving before the first of May, will you?” Frodo asked anxiously.

“When is that, in your reckoning?”

“One week from today,” Pippin responded.

“I am sure we will be staying at least another week.”

“Good,” Frodo said, obviously relieved.

“What do you have planned, Frodo?” Merry asked.

“It’s Aragorn who wants to surprise everyone.”

“A surprise?  Tell us!” Pippin begged.

“Pip, you kept enough secrets from us when we arrived," Frodo said. “I’ll just say that Aragorn has something very special planned.”

“Does Sam know about it?” Merry asked, although he already knew the answer.

“Of course!” Frodo said with a laugh.  At the sound, Pippin’s heart filled with such joy, he felt he might burst into song at any moment.  Frodo was now so free with laughter, and shining so brightly, it was as if the light from the Lady’s starglass had moved inside him, somehow.

“Merry,” he whispered, and his cousin nodded.

“I know, Pip.  I see it, too.”

** TBC **





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List