Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Least of Rings  by Dreamflower


Part 4

12 Astron, S.R. 1418

"Gandalf, I find it hard to believe these things you suspect about Bilbo's ring." He looked at it on its fob-chain, and shook his head. "It always brought him fair fortune, and he used it to help the Dwarves out of tight spots. I confess both of us occasionally used it since to avoid unpleasant guests or to play a jest. But Bilbo certainly never turned into a wraith or a creature like the Gollum; do you suspect either of us turning to evil?"

"Of course not!" Gandalf answered testily. "I truly hope this is not what I suspect it to be. But there is one way to find out." He took the poker from the hearth and stirred the fire. "Give me the ring for a moment."

Reluctantly Frodo pulled it from his breeches-pocket, and unclasped it from the fob which hung at his belt. He unfastened it and handed it slowly to the wizard.

Gandalf held it up. It looked to be made of solid gold. "Can you see any markings on it?"

"No. It's quite plain."

"Well, then look. " Frodo gave a gasp as the wizard threw it suddenly into the middle of a glowing corner of the fire. Frodo groped for the tongs, but Gandalf stayed him.

"Wait!" He commanded.

For a long time they sat staring at the fire; then the wizard stooped and removed the ring from the fire with the tongs, and at once picked it up.

"It's quite cool," he said, "Take it!"

Frodo took it on his palm.

"Hold it up, and look closely!"

As Frodo did so, he now saw fine lines appear running along the outside of the ring in a flowing script.

The Elvish inscription in Tengwar

"It's in a form of Elvish," said Frodo. "I can't understand the first word, but the next words are 'nótë yurasta carnë''number twenty-four made'…I don't understand…"

"What?" Frodo had never seen such an expression of astonishment. It was a combination of both relief and dismay, as if two such emotions could be found together on one face. Gandalf took the ring from the hobbit, and laughed out loud. He looked once more at the inscription: 'Sámaril nótë yurasta carnë'.'Sámaril made number twenty-four'!

He collapsed back into his chair, laughing harder than Frodo had ever heard before. "Oh, bless my beard! Please pardon me for frightening you so, Frodo, but you've no idea of how fearful I've been these last few years!"

He passed it back to Frodo. "You may keep this heirloom safely, my friend! Yet even though it is one of the 'lesser rings', it is still a mighty work. You should still keep it secret from any save a trusted few—for I tell you such a thing as this would excite the envy of many. But you have kept it without harm thus far, so I think you are a fit guardian for it."

"Thank you."

"I must think on this thing for a while. It sets all my thoughts awry!"

~~~~~~~~~

Author's Notes: First of all my thanks to pandemonium_213 for the loan of her OC, Sámaril, who features in several of her stories, most notably The Apprentice, and for the Quenya phrase "'Sámaril nótë yurasta carnë'..

Also, much of the dialogue in this section is taken from, or slightly adapted from, FotR, Book I, Chapter II, "The Shadow of the Past".

I did the Tengwar calligraphy, based on the alphabets provided in the Omniglot website.I can't insert it here on this site, however. The link will show you.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List