Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Least of Rings  by Dreamflower

 

The Least of Rings

Part 1

6 Astron, S.R. 1349

"In the Springtime, birds a-wing time,
all hearts are merry and light!
In the Springtime, a let us sing time,
voices are cheery and bright!
In the Springtime, da-da-da-da-ding time..."

Bilbo paused, and waved his quill. "da-da-da-da-da-da right...tight...might..." He sighed. It had started out so promisingly too. But it was difficult to think up new rhymes.

Suddenly he heard rapping at the door. Bilbo was glad of the interruption.

"I'm coming!" he shouted, as the caller rapped again more sharply. He flung the door open and found himself gazing at a set of grey robes.

"Gandalf! it's so good to see you!" Bilbo spotted the other smaller figure at the wizard's side. "Balin! Come in, the both of you! It's nearly time for luncheon!"

They hung their cloaks on the pegs by the door, and entered the hall. "Ah," said Balin, "this brings back memories, this does!"

The Dwarf enveloped Bilbo in a back-slapping embrace that took him off his feet, Gandalf knelt down to give him a gentler greeting. Then they followed Bilbo to the kitchen. He had earlier put a bean soup on to simmer for hismself; he scurried about finding extra things to add to stretch the meal for three. He put some eggs on to boil, brought extra loaves of dark bread from the larder, and a cheese. There was a seedcake he had planned to save for tea, and radishes, scallions and carrots that Hamfast had brought up earlier; Bilbo quickly washed and trimmed them, and went down into the cellar for a pitcher of ale. Soon a simple repast was on the table and the three old friends tucked in.

Bilbo was glad to see his old friends, and through the meal conversation dealt with the doings in Erebor; Balin told Bilbo of what Dain had done in the rebuilding of the Lonely Mountain, and how Bard had begun the restoration of Dale. He was given many messages from the other Dwarves, his old friends. Gandalf spoke little, smiled and nodded, listening until Balin wound down.

"So, Bilbo, you look remarkably well. You do not seem to have changed at all since I left you at your doorstep eight years ago in the middle of an auction."

"I'm doing very well indeed, Gandalf, though my Baggins relatives seem to feel I have disgraced the name; I spend much time among the Brandybucks and the Tooks now!"

Gandalf took a sip of ale. "And do you still have that curious little ring?"

Bilbo grinned. "I do; it comes in handy avoiding unwanted callers. I was thinking I might amaze the children at Brandy Hall with it this Yule."

The wizard's eyebrows climbed up his forehead. "I pray you do nothing of the sort, Bilbo! You've kept it a secret this long--it won't be nearly so useful if everyone knows about it!"

"You have a point there! Very well, since you advise it!"

Balin raised his mug. "To useful little rings!"





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List