Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Least of Rings  by Dreamflower

Part 3

22 Halimath, S.R. 1401

One year had followed another, each much like the last. Bilbo and Frodo had made a nice life together in Bag End, but on this birthday, Frodo found himself reluctant to celebrate. Oh, they had planned together to throw this magnificent party--it would be the talk of the Shire. But then his beloved Uncle Bilbo had one last joke to play on his neighbours and kin: he was going to leave, to retire from the Shire, go off on one last Adventure, and leave Frodo to take his place.

They'd discussed this many times. Frodo knew Bilbo wouldn't be changing his mind now. But this was the first birthday since he'd come to live at Bag End that he wasn't looking forward to.

He washed up, dressed, and picked up the package with the gift he was giving to his cousin. It was a lodestone in a silver case--he'd ordered it over a year in advance, when he had first learned of Bilbo's plan.

After their traditional birthday breakfast, he presented the gift to Bilbo, who was delighted to receive it. "This is perfect, my lad," he said. Then he reached into his pocket and handed Frodo a small package. It felt very familiar--in fact, he was reminded of his twenty-second birthday at Bag End. He opened it slowly. Another silver fob, another key? He took off the rest of the tissue and on the end of the fob-chain was Bilbo's golden ring. He turned to stare at his cousin in astonishment. "Uncle Bilbo?"

Bilbo grinned. "The key is the master key to Bag End. I don't need it now. As to the ring, I'd like you to have it, lad. Go ahead, try it out."

Frodo blinked, and took the ring from the chain and tried it on. There was a sensation of chill. He blinked. The world seemed strangely leached of colour, but he could still see himself. He stood up silently, looking at Bilbo's amused expression.

"It feels rather odd, doesn't it?" Bilbo addressed the chair where he presumed Frodo still sat.

Frodo moved silently behind him and placed his hand on Bilbo's shoulder as he said "It certainly does!" He had the satisfaction of hearing Bilbo yelp and seeing him jump under his hand.

"Bless my buttons, Frodo! You startled the daylights out of me!"

Frodo took the ring off and put it back on the fob. The two hobbits looked at one another and laughed. "Won't you need it for your joke?" he asked.

"No, Gandalf's agreed to provide a little distraction so that I can slip away without giving away the secret. He seems to think it would be best for it to remain here in the Shire. Honestly, I think he worries about it more than I do."

Frodo took a deep breath. "I'm going to miss you, Uncle."

"I'm going to miss you as well. But I am exceedingly proud of you. You will do well as the Master of Bag End."




<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List