Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Least of Rings  by Dreamflower

Part 6

24 Forelithe, S.R. 1418

"Will you be gone long, Gandalf?"

"It should only take a short time to find my friend and get his information. Only a day or so. But I think it best if I also send some other messages and speak to some other acquaintances while I'm at it. I will meet you in Buckland after the Lithedays are over. It's best if we don't travel together at the beginning if you are maintaining the illusion that you aren't leaving the Shire."

"I wish you'd tell me this mysterious business of yours."

Gandalf's eyebrows bristled, and Frodo blushed. "Well, no concern of mine, after all..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Dear Merry,

Thanks for arranging the use of the guesthouse. I'm sorry for the subterfuge, but I can't let it be known I'm actually leaving the Shire; otherwise I might get home to find another attempt to auction Bag End off. An extended visit to my kin in Buckland doesn't seem unreasonable, and should throw the S.-B.s off the track.

When I come back, I'll visit longer. Sam's agreed to come along, supposedly to "do" for me at the guesthouse, and Pippin's going to come as far as the tramp to Buckland, so at least you'll have his company after I leave. Gandalf will join us later.

I truly appreciate your help in this matter,

Fondly,
Your cousin
Frodo"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Dear Pip,

It's settled. I know you'll be joining Frodo for the journey from Bag End to Crickhollow. Apparently Gandalf is not coming along then, but will be meeting up here with Frodo later.

Be discreet--don't let Frodo know what's up. He'll kick like a billy-goat if he has a notion we plan to follow him. And we'll have to be doubly careful since he'll be with Gandalf.

We mustn't catch them up before they've been on the road at least a day.

Love,
Merry"

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Dear Merry,

No worries. I'll be as close as two peas!

My parents expect me to stay in Buckland as long as Frodo does, so that shouldn't be a problem. I've penned a few short notes I'll leave with cousin Berilac to post from time to time, so unless something completely unexpected happens they will never know I'm gone!

I'm ready to leave for Bag End in the morning, and will post this from Tuckborough on the way.

Take care!

Love,
Pip"

~~~~~~~~~

Gandalf pulled up his mount. "Radagast?"

The figure in brown stood up. "Gandalf! I was seeking you. But I am a stranger in these parts. All I knew was that you might be found in some region with the uncouth name of Shire."

Gandalf shook his head and corrected the other wizard. "What do you want with me? It must be pressing. You were never a traveller save at great need."

Radagast stared at him a moment, and Gandalf dismounted. He was alarmed by the look on his old friend's face.

"I have an urgent errand. My news is evil, and my suspicions even more dire. Let us consult together..."*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Part of the dialogue between Gandalf and Radagast is adapted from FotR, Book II, Chapter II, "The Council of Elrond"
 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List