Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

The Least of Rings  by Dreamflower

Part 9

19 Afterlithe, S.R. 1418


Two days later they reached Weathertop. The ruins were cheerless and uninviting, but they found the evidence of Gandalf's presence there: scorch marks, and a stone, a G-rune etched upon it.

Sam and Pippin found a clearing; Strider explained that Rangers camped there. There was a stash of firewood by a ring of stones. He went over to a large boulder seemingly buried in the side of the hill. Up against it were two smaller stones. He moved them and pushed the boulder to one side--it was not buried at all, but was a cleverly concealed entrance to a tunnel. It was shored up inside with timber, and within were several crates, marked with letters in a language the hobbits did not know.

Strider pried one open; they could see it was filled with knives and swords. He rummaged, and came up with four long daggers that looked like short swords, handing one to each. "These were recovered from a barrow when it was cleansed of its wight," he said. "They will serve you well, once you learn to use them."

They came out, and he replaced the hidden entrance. "I'll scout the area--start a fire; it will hold off wraiths if any are here. But don't let it smoke lest we attract human enemies."

They huddled around the fire, miserable and hungry, but not feeling safe enough to cook anything. Sam did put a kettle on for tea, but for food they chewed on journeybread. None of them felt sleepy; nerves were on edge. They wished Strider would come back.

Frodo felt a chill run down his spine and the hair on the back of his neck stood up. He felt the blood draining from his face, and saw by the expressions of his companions that they felt the same. He stood up and with a shaky hand, took the dagger he'd been given from its sheath. The others followed his example, but to his surprise, Sam and Merry pushed him behind them. "We should stand back to back," Merry whispered. His voice was shaky, but they did so.

It was well and truly dark, and the Moon had yet to show his face; the stars were obscured by clouds, and the flickering of the fire only made the shadows seem deeper.

And then it grew cold, and they saw it, tall and black, it slowly approached, looking one way and another. "Where is it?" it hissed. "Which of you has it?" It took a step closer and laughed. The daggers dropped from nerveless fingers. "Where has it gone?" Suddenly, more quickly than a striking serpent, it snatched Merry and flung him to one side.

"No!" shouted Frodo. "N-no! L-leave them alone! I have it!"

It took him up by his left arm, dangling him, and seemed to sniff. "You lie! It is not here! What treachery is this? Saruman lied!" He snapped Frodo's arm like a twig and flung him to one side, and he knew no more. 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List