Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

The Least of Rings  by Dreamflower

Part 10

20 Afterlithe, S.R. 1418

He'd been wandering forever, in a dreary mist of tears and weariness, in cold grey sad world where light and dark alike had been leached away...

But someone called…Merry felt a gentle hand passing through the curls of his head, it was calloused, so it wasn't his mother, and it was too large for his da. His shoulder ached, but there was a smell like the scent of orchards and heather in the sunshine, full of bees…"I am hungry," he murmured, "what is the time?"

"Past supper-time now," answered Pippin, "though I daresay I could bring you something, if Strider will let me."*

"He can have some of the broth Sam made." The sound of Strider's voice brought everything back to him.

"Frodo!" He tried to sit up.

"Easy, Merry, Frodo's sleeping. He had a broken arm and a blow to the head when he struck the stone door. Both of you and Sam and Pippin were suffering from the Black Breath. But our enemy has fled away—the Nine will no longer pursue us. They know Frodo doesn't have the One.

"Still we're not safe. There is danger from Men seeking the reward offered for you all, and we'll have to travel slowly. You had a dislocated shoulder, and Frodo's broken arm and concussion mean we won't be able to leave for a day or so."

"But Gandalf said he'd draw them Nine things away! Why was we attacked? We won't be safe here!"

"We only faced one last night, Samwise, though the most fearsome of them all, their chief. Gandalf must have drawn the others away, or we should not be alive now. I think if we keep careful watch, we should be safe enough here for just one day more. I don't want to move your master quite yet, Sam!"

Sam nodded, and handed Merry a cup of hot salty broth, before he turned back to tend the fire.

"What happened, Pip? I remember that thing slinging me aside like a child's poppet

~~~~~~~~~~~

* Some of the description and dialogue in the first few paragraphs was adapted from RotK, Book V, Chapter VIII, "The Houses of Healing".





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List