Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Least of Rings  by Dreamflower

Part 12

25 Winterfilth, S.R. 1418

It was clear that having arrived in Rivendell, the four hobbits would stay awhile. Frodo's original plan had been to remain until after he and Bilbo could celebrate their Birthday together, but Master Elrond asked him to remain longer, for he had called for the White Council to gather in October, and there were others who were coming.

"But why do I need to be there, Gandalf? My ring is not the One."

"Because your story remains part of the tale, and because you represent the Shire."

"But Gandalf…"

"Wait for the Council; you shall hear all."

Frodo sat back and looked at his friends. Merry, Pippin and Sam all looked as curious as well. "Uncle Bilbo?"

"I'm invited, too," he replied. "We'll soon know the tale."

"I wish I was," said Pippin. "I think after being chased through the wild and getting here by the skin of our teeth, we deserve to hear the full tale."

Suddenly a single clear bell rang out. It was the signal for the Council to begin.*

Each person there had a story to tell, and Frodo's story was quite surprising.

"But," exclaimed Boromir of Gondor, "if the Enemy's Ring has not been found, then why are we having this Council."

Gandalf stood forth. "We said that Frodo's Ring is not the One Ring. We have not said that the One has not been found. It has indeed been found, and if my colleague has been successful it will be brought to an end at any time now."

"Frodo's Ring, the least of the rings of power, one of the lesser rings merely made for practice, was the key to discovering that there had been a traitor in the White Council. It also gave an opening for my brother Radagast to deal with the One Ring—which he was given the grace to discover.

"For years, both Radagast and I had suspicions of where the One might be. I was misled by the presence of the lesser ring in the Shire, while Radagast had concentrated his efforts on the rumour of a giant pike in the Anduin. It was his belief that it had swallowed the One Ring for the rumours existed far longer than the lifetime of a single creature.

It was when Radagast discovered Saruman's treachery that we made the plans for the Ring's destruction. Because Saruman began to believe I was right about the Ring being in the Shire, Sauron learned of his belief. So even though the ring Frodo held was not what he sought, I wished to get him away from the Shire. Meanwhile, Radagast returned and set his own plan in motion. By seeking the help of birds and beasts, he has been bringing the Ring close to its destruction without ever laying his own hand to it."

There was a stunned silence. Then the faces of Gandalf, Elrond, and the Lady Galadriel were transfixed with joy.

Gandalf burst out into laughter. "It is done! The Ring is gone!"

~~~~~~~~~~

*This line adapted from FotR, Book II, Chapter II, "The Council of Elrond" 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List